Thread: $300 for a M44?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

$300 for a M44?

Saw a really nice refurb matching numbers M44 in a local pawn shop and they had $349 on the tag. I asked what the real price was and got told he could go $300 OTD... I passed...

Are they really going to make that kind of a price jump?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Woah, now that's a rediculous price. IMO, not worth it.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

The Internet rumor is the Russians are out of them. The wholesalers are dry... now how much will they jump in price. I could see $200, but there were huge numbers come in, $300 is a strech...

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    A Polish one after a complete dry up of imports...maybe $250?
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    The Internet rumor is the Russians are out of them. The wholesalers are dry... now how much will they jump in price. I could see $200, but there were huge numbers come in, $300 is a strech...
    $200 is the absolute limit for me. You can get a 91/30 for $70 and bubba it if you have to have a short barrel. I'm yet to sporterize a C&R and don't expect to, but I'll take that route before spending $300 on an M44.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    $200 is the absolute limit for me. You can get a 91/30 for $70 and bubba it if you have to have a short barrel. I'm yet to sporterize a C&R and don't expect to, but I'll take that route before spending $300 on an M44.
    If you shorten a 91-30 you are making a 91-59 model copy more or less as that's exactly what those were. I'd do it for an 80 buck rifle if I wanted a shorter handier weapon.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

I have a nice M38 and a beat up Hungarian M44 that I personalized since it was fugly anyway. I shortened the stock for quicker bolt manipulation from the shoulder, I guess I was worried about attack by Zulus at the time.

I like the 91/30 as much as the M38 actually. The M38 does balance better than the M44.

Hmm, bought mine for $140 bucks with a beautiful russian red laminated stock on it. Good thing I never plan on selling it lol
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC