Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Guys Think of the Treyvon Martin Shooting in Florida?

Question What Do You Guys Think of the Treyvon Martin Shooting in Florida?

On the news right now:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/19/justic...iref=allsearch

Apparently some "neighborhood watch captain" (who is white) shot and killed an unarmed black teenager.

The thing is, the shooter made a 911 call reporting a "suspicious black teen" who he said he was following. The dispatcher told him to not pursue the suspect, but a few minutes later there were numerous 911 calls claiming someone was yelling "HELP!" and a gun-shot soon after.

Most surprising, is the shooter hasn't been arrested. Apparently the community is pissed, and now the Federal Department of Justice is getting involved.

Will be interesting to see what develops as more facts come out.
    Last edited by LAGC; 03-19-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

I have no way to prove it but I would bet the kid was probably trying to act gangster which is pretty common and it cost him his life when he ran into an armed person who took that act as a threat. I see this alot up near my urban house in Ohio. It's sort of part defense mechanism (keeps others away) part machismo (acting tough) and sort of "hip" (it's the way MTV tells a black kid he should act).

Could be, but I wouldn't be surprised if the shooter somehow provoked the kid, which would make it a not-so-righteous shooting. (e.g., NOT self-defense).

I mean, even the "Stand Your Ground" law doesn't cover your ass if you go out of your way to confront a suspect, only if he threatens you without provocation.

Hope he has a good lawyer.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Like everything else of this nature, it's best to wait for the facts to fall out first, before calling for anyone's head.

I think he'll get off under florida's stand your ground law.
    Only thing going against him is pd requested he stop pursuit of the suspect and he didn't. I wouldn't have either if I was neighborhood watch, some one was acting like a thug or was definitely not from the area, and there were no cops there to take over the pursuit.
    Kid probably tugged out on him trying to be a little bad ass and it got him killed.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Could be, but I wouldn't be surprised if the shooter somehow provoked the kid, which would make it a not-so-righteous shooting. (e.g., NOT self-defense).

I mean, even the "Stand Your Ground" law doesn't cover your ass if you go out of your way to confront a suspect, only if he threatens you without provocation.

I wonder if being part of a neighborhood watch gave the shooter more leeway when it came to confronting (or atleast following) the kid that got shot. From the reports I saw the kid was being followed by the neighborhood watch guy when the kid supposedly turned and confronted the guy for following him which resulted in the shooting.

Keep your fingers crossed Lefty, maybe the good guy will get fucked.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

1) There were break-ins in the neighborhood. The "watch" guy was suspicious of this kid who he didn't recognize.
    2) The shooter is hispanic - not 'white'.
    3) The shooter's 911 calls indicated that he was told to back off by the police - but didn't.
    4) The shooter initiated some kind of fight and then shot the kid.

I think that although the black community is trying to make this into some kind of racial thing, that the shooter should be arrested and brought up on murder charges - 2nd degree.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 03-19-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

On the news right now:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/19/justic...iref=allsearch

Apparently some "neighborhood watch captain" (who is white) shot and killed an unarmed black teenager.

Most surprising, is the shooter hasn't been arrested. Apparently the community is pissed, and now the Federal Department of Justice is getting involved.

Will be interesting to see what develops as more facts come out.
    Apparently, Zimmerman is not white, he's Hispanic and according to this article, Treyvon attacked him and a scuffle ensued. Poor little Treyvon may not be as squeeky clean and innocent as everyone is being let to believe.

"But George Zimmerman's letter claims Zimmerman is Hispanic and grew up in a multi-racial home: "He would be the last to discriminate for any reason whatsoever ...," the letter says. "The media portrayal of George as a racist could not be further from the truth."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...-not-a-racist/

Zimmerman initiated the contact.

That much is known as he was told not to follow the kid after he spoke with police.

As to who started the fight, that is to be determined from what I've seen.

You're right that there's more to be discovered or at least, reported....

On one of those Sunday morning shows they had the shooter following the kid and the kid confronting him which lead to the shooting.

As far as the cops telling him not to follow the kid, I think that's a BS charge. If you call the cops over many illegal things (say someone breaking into your car or shed) they will tell you they can't give you advice on what to do (have family and friends that work a 911 call center). For them to start giving advice on a legal act such as following and expect it to stick is silly IMO.

Zimmerman should buy stock in vaseline and be prepared for his family to lose everything. It was an incredibly stupid thing for him to do. I might eyeball the suspicious person. But unless I'm hearing screams for "help" and cries of "stop him, stop him," there's no way I'm takin' my gun off my property. The most you can do is call it in and let the cops handle it. Otherwise, you are begging for trouble.

Lets see... grown adult takes on kid with drink and snack and kid gets killed. Zimmerbafoon should be behind bars. I could picture zimmercock antagonizing this kid even telling him punch me then blasting the poor kid. The victims mother is pretty well spoken and Sanford Florida in no ghetto its mostly hard working folk who knows there place. just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    On one of those Sunday morning shows they had the shooter following the kid and the kid confronting him which lead to the shooting.

As far as the cops telling him not to follow the kid, I think that's a BS charge. If you call the cops over many illegal things (say someone breaking into your car or shed) they will tell you they can't give you advice on what to do (have family and friends that work a 911 call center). For them to start giving advice on a legal act such as following and expect it to stick is silly IMO.
    Are you saying that the 911 call that they're playing on the news is a fabrication? Because what I heard was the 911 operator telling Zimmerman not to follow...

I think we need more information to say that Zimmerman is "the good guy" or "the bad guy" here....

What did he do that deserved being shot for?

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Are you saying that the 911 call that they're playing on the news is a fabrication? Because what I heard was the 911 operator telling Zimmerman not to follow...

I think we need more information to say that Zimmerman is "the good guy" or "the bad guy" here....
    No, they told him not to follow, he followed. However from what they were saying on the Sunday morning show the teen confronted Zimmerman about why he was being followed and that confrontation resulted in the shooting. Or atleast that's how I took their dramatization of the chain of events.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    What did he do that deserved being shot for?
    Ideally made Zimmerman fear for his life...

Exclamation

Uh oh... Friend on Phone with Teen Before Death Recalls Final Moments:

In the last moments of his life Trayvon Martin was being hounded by a strange man on a cell phone who ran after him, cornered him, and confronted him, according to the teenage girl whose call logs show she was on the phone with the 17-year-old boy in the moments before neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman shot him dead.

Martin's death on Feb. 26 has stirred national outrage and protests, partly prompting the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division and the FBI to open an investigation into the case.
    Zimmerman blatantly violated major principles of the Neighborhood Watch manual, ABC News has learned. The manual from the Neighborhood Watch program states: "It should be emphasized to members that they do not possess police powers. And they shall not carry weapons or pursue vehicles."

According to Chris Tutko, the director of the National Neighborhood Watch program, there are about 22,000 registered watch groups nationwide, and Zimmerman was not part of a registered group, another fact the police were not aware of at the time of the incident.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-mar...ry?id=15959017

Not looking too good for Zimmerman...

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Ignoring details and judgements about what's actually known for this post....

Heard kind of an odd statement from John Bellmont doing the AP radio top of the hour report BS about a memorial service or some such thing for the kid today. He described it for those with astute memories that can't remeber yesterday as "the black teenager that was shot by a "white hispanic neighborhood watch captain recently".....

White hispanic?....WTF?
    I'm thinking the race pimps are'nt quite sure what the hell to do with this one and it only was made a national stink because they were told it was a white guy initially. Shows you how much they actually give a damn really.
    History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

Yep, they started to rev up the race machine and then "discovered" that they're up against another minority group... I suppose lulac will now make a showing..

Just shows how corrupt the whole race issue is.

It doesn't matter what the races of the people involved are - what matters is what they did. That is all.

What needs to be determined is was this a legitimate defensive shooting or a murder?

It's also an object lesson for all that carry IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    It doesn't matter what the races of the people involved are - what matters is what they did. That is all.
    You're right of course. But race IS a factor, just one that is politically incorrect. Here in California, the Hispanics and Blacks (especially in the inner cities) don't like each other much. Remember all those racial murders by MS13 fucks who drove most of the blacks East from the heart of Los Angeles? Just a thought. We all know they have only one barrier to all out racial hate (and unfortunately that's the fact that whites are still around to kick around).

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast