Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHTF Truck Gun

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question SHTF Truck Gun

Just for fun I was thinking about how I would like things set up for a SHTF/zombie apocalypse scenario and started thinking about putting a firearm in each vehicle. Say you have a group that you put together well before anything happened so you've had years to combine money and resources towards your common goal of survival. Everyone in your group has a Glock G17 and an M4 clone as their primary and secondary firearms. Now assume that as a group you have 8-10 vehicles from pickups to SVU, couple of vans and box trucks, etc. Your rules are that no one leaves camp alone and vehicles only leave in pairs (no less than two vehicles) so at the least you will always have two people and two vehicles when ever you leave the compound/base. Was thinking about this rule and maybe it's not the best. My intention was that should a vehicle breakdown or get stuck the 2nd could pull it out or bring the crew back but was thinking that without good planning you could end up using a lot more gas then you needed to plus you could loose two vehicles instead of just one. Perhaps it would be better to just go with the two person rule whether on foot or in a vehicle.

Was thinking that each vehicle should carry a spare firearm if for no other reason than it can. Considered making this extra gun a Glock but even though it would take up less room I think a long gun would be better. Basically due to the fact that you can use a rifle up close if necessary but trying to use a pistol at a distance seems less prone to success,

So far I've ended up with two possibilities.

#1 is to add a spare M4 to each vehicle. This would be kept in a soft assault type case, one 20 or 30rd mag in the gun and 4-5 30rd mags in the soft case mag pockets. You could use this firearm to arm another person, replace a long gun that has been lost or has become inoperable/damaged or simply use the extra ammo for your own M4.

#2 is to add a pistol caliber carbine to each vehicle. Since each person would already have a G17 with three mags I would op for something like a KelTec or some kind of AR platform carbine that uses the same Glock mags. The carbine would also be in a soft case with on G17 mag in the carbine and maybe 2-3 G18 mags, 32-33rd in the pouches on the assault case. My thinking on this was that, as with the M4 you could arm another person who either didn't have a firearm or had lost theirs. As with option #1 you could just use the mags in your issue G17 if you needed. Granted it's still a pistol caliber but the carbine would make it more useful at a distance than your standard G17 and it might be a little handier up close than the M4.

So, given the reasoning above which do you think would be more beneficial, the M4 or the pistol caliber carbine and why? I had considered using a shotgun of some type as a truck gun but decided against it. Since it would have less range and accuracy than the M4 and a lot more weight for it and it's ammo than the G17 or a pistol caliber carbine I couldn't see where it would make more sense than the other two other than if you wanted/needed it for shooting birds for food. If you disagree let me know. If you wouldn't use a truck gun I'd like to hear your reasoning for that as well.

Just something fun to discuss for a Saturday morning. TIA
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 12-21-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Pistol caliber carbine would be the first choice for me. For the ones carrying the Beretta then they could opt for something like the Beretta CX4 Storm. I have handily hit targets out to 150 yards with one I traded into. Not sure what type of damage it would do at 150 but wouldn't want to be hit with it.

Along a different line, have you ever considered the Marlin 336Y youth model 30-30. Very compact and hard hitting. They can be had for around $350. Easily topped off and rounds are still affordable and abundant.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well Richard my take is to stay with at least the .223 caliber rifles vs. a pistol caliber rifle. 9 mm bullets are 115 gr. or 124 gr. The AR platform's ammo is 55 or 62 for FMJ military ball type ammo. Because of that the .223 ammo is actually about half the weight. There is another reason why to shun the pistol caliber carbine and that is spare parts. Certain types are quite specific and rare when compared to the parts availability of the AR rifle platform even if you consider the 9 mm AR. It would IMO make more sense to standardize on the rifle platform around the .223 / 5.56 round. Glock 33 mags, hard to come by and mucho expnensive compared to even Magpul Gen 3 windowed magazines.

As to standardizing on the Glock 17 as a side arm, not a bad choice IMO though I don't own one myself, just G19's. Actually the 19 might make a better choice as they can take the 17 mags and they're just a tad lighter in weight. Most Women should be able to handle either model of Glock, my wife who is only 5-4 is comfortable using a Glock 19.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Pistol caliber carbine would be the first choice for me. For the ones carrying the Beretta then they could opt for something like the Beretta CX4 Storm. I have handily hit targets out to 150 yards with one I traded into. Not sure what type of damage it would do at 150 but wouldn't want to be hit with it.

Along a different line, have you ever considered the Marlin 336Y youth model 30-30. Very compact and hard hitting. They can be had for around $350. Easily topped off and rounds are still affordable and abundant.

I considered the Berretta 92FS or M9 as a sidearm since our military uses it and any arms or ammo stores we might run across would be compatible. In that scenario I was considering the Storm though I think the KelTec carbine also comes with a Beretta lower. In my SHTF plan there would be 30-30 leverguns (one or two) in inventory if for no other reason then to take advantage of any 30-30 ammo found in abandoned houses, stores, etc. That being said I would prefer the truck gun be ammo compatible with either the standard issue side arm or handgun.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 12-21-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Well Richard my take is to stay with at least the .223 caliber rifles vs. a pistol caliber rifle. 9 mm bullets are 115 gr. or 124 gr. The AR platform's ammo is 55 or 62 for FMJ military ball type ammo. Because of that the .223 ammo is actually about half the weight. There is another reason why to shun the pistol caliber carbine and that is spare parts. Certain types are quite specific and rare when compared to the parts availability of the AR rifle platform even if you consider the 9 mm AR. It would IMO make more sense to standardize on the rifle platform around the .223 / 5.56 round. Glock 33 mags, hard to come by and mucho expnensive compared to even Magpul Gen 3 windowed magazines.

As to standardizing on the Glock 17 as a side arm, not a bad choice IMO though I don't own one myself, just G19's. Actually the 19 might make a better choice as they can take the 17 mags and they're just a tad lighter in weight. Most Women should be able to handle either model of Glock, my wife who is only 5-4 is comfortable using a Glock 19.
    Thought about the G19 but I wasn't sure it a carbine like the KelTec was set up to take a G19 mag? If I were to go with the M4 as a truck gun then it wouldn't matter and a g19 would work tine.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Thought about the G19 but I wasn't sure it a carbine like the KelTec was set up to take a G19 mag? If I were to go with the M4 as a truck gun then it wouldn't matter and a g19 would work tine.
    Buy 17 mags, they work in the 19 but just stick out a bit. The 19 is probably the most common civilian owned Glock. At 15 rds in the mag capacity you don't give up much but it is much more concealable in size over the 17. In SHTF CCW won't be an issue but think about the available pool of weapons owned. Highpoint carbines, AR carbines, Beretta Storm Carbines, and UZi's sure they're around and available but they are oddballs by contrast to an y AR15 in .223/ 5.56 chambering.

I would lean more towards a high power bolt action sniper rifle for a truck gun. Something with a little more range and knock down power for any long range problems, or game hunting. A .308 or 30-06. Not worried so much about weight since it's in the vehicle.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I'm thinking an AKS74U would be ideal for a truck gun. With the stock folded it can serve as a PDW/ pistol, with the stock deployed, a rifle caliber submachine gun. Perfect for close to medium range. If your group has stacked up plenty of 5.45x39, ammo isn't a problem, considering it's to be used as a backup emergency rifle rather than a primary firearm. M4gery for primary for widely available parts and ammo, Glock 9mm for sidearm and AKS74U for truck gun.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adog View Post
    I would lean more towards a high power bolt action sniper rifle for a truck gun. Something with a little more range and knock down power for any long range problems, or game hunting. A .308 or 30-06. Not worried so much about weight since it's in the vehicle.
    Either this or a shotgun. The purpose of a vehicle is to carry weight you can't. A high power rifle or a shotgun gives you another choice in types of firepower.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Bear in mind that this isn't just for an individual bug out vehicle but for each vehicle in the group. Think Us Army armored company. IIRC the US Army used to carry weapons in tanks and other armored vehicles in case the crew had to abandon the vehicle. I believe the M3 "grease gun" was used in tanks until some time after Vietnam. Regardless, that's kind of the view I'm taking in my scenario. A weapon to be kept in every vehicle though in my case none of the vehicles are a crew served weapon and normally, anyone in the vehicle will already have their issue firearms. Any dedicated hunting or sniper type arms would be maintained at the base camp and issued as required.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Pistol would not be my primary weapon. A pistol is a tool to allow you to get to your rifle.

Primary truck type firearm would be an AMD-65 with a shoulder pouch or backpack with extra mags. Secondary would be a Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine to parallel my Beretta 92FS/M9.

Of course my initial line of defense would be long range, with either my Remington and 30-06 that I used to practice with at 500 yards, and/or my STG-58 which is also a very accurate reach out and touch someone defense rifle.

In a group setting, I would prefer the AMD-65 for everyone, along with an entry length M4/AR-15 so that we could have common ammo with our allies in the federal and state militias.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

M4 Carbine.

The advantage of the pistol caliber carbines is size and weight efficiency. If its getting toted around in your truck than it shouldn't matter what it weights, therefore I say take the greater capabilities of the heavier M4.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I think I've posted the before but. . .

I've taken to keeping a FAL with 5, 20 round mags in my Excursion when traveling. Remember, you use your pistol to fight your way back to your rifle. There is no way I would keep a pistol caliber carbine as a SHTF "rifle".
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

+1 on the AMD-65
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    +1 on the AMD-65
    Not in production, not common, worst folding stock design ever for any of the AK types. Oh and really with the forward grip, 30 rounders are a bitch to get in that's why the Hungarians made the 20 round mags.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Not a big fan of the AMD. It works well enough but the thing just feels so... Awkward. Worse than the Romy's with the curved vfg.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

SHTF SNOBBERY!!!!!!!!!!
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

SBR a side-folding Draco. Even though the velocity drops to 1,850 FPS, it still packs a pretty serious punch with 123-grain bullets.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

If I'm headed out somewhere where I'll feel more comfortable with something in the trunk, I often take a Chinese SKS. It's very reliable, easy to handle and very accurate at 150 yards.

I'd opt for a semi auto .22. Preferably with improvised silencers, since no one will care about the NFA tax anymore. Most of your likely opponents will be other civilians, with varying degrees of training. A .22 is just as good as any other rifle at making people keep their heads down, and skedaddle when everyone's goal is survival. Plus it's quiet, you can bag small game you run across, and you should be able to stockpile quite a bit of ammo for it. Based on the past year, everyone already started.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast