Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OLD GRUMPS CARRY GUN CHALLENGE

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Grump,
    I shot two targets this month with my G19 and my 1911. Neither were worth posting. Out of 10 rounds with both I only hit 10 times. I was quite disappointed. I am not that good with hand guns as it is, but that was just discouraging.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Grump,
    I shot two targets this month with my G19 and my 1911. Neither were worth posting. Out of 10 rounds with both I only hit 10 times. I was quite disappointed. I am not that good with hand guns as it is, but that was just discouraging.
    At least your shooting, its practice time with the gun even if you are unhappy with your targets. Does that mean you won't play if I post a 100 yard challenge match? I'm thinking of doing that with any handgun, any caliber, any shooting position but not till next spring. I'm having enough problems trying to get all these 2 yard shooters to shoot at 15 yards.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

OK, came in right under this month's deadline. Shot today, temp was 95, sunny with wind at about 10mph from right to left.

CZ85 frame with a CZ75 Kadet .22lr upper shooting 36gr Remington Golden value pack.
    total score 87
    10 - 1
    9 - 6
    8 - 2
    7 - 1

CZ75D Compact PCR in 9mm shooting Swiss GECO 124gr FMJ.
    Total Score: 89
    10 - 3
    9 - 4
    8 - 2
    7 - 1

Not bad you are definitely dialed in. Thank you for posting this month.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

October Carry Gun Challenge

Two weeks of bad back, bad weather and a few days of flu but yesterday was great and everything came together for a good days worth of shooting.

Draw and shoot 5 rounds, reload and did it again.

Single Six shooting Thunderbolt ammo, trying to get rid of it, shoots lousy in every gun I have except this one and my Savage single shot bolt action.

Dan Wesson .357 mag shooting 130 gr 38 spcl target ammo

Super Blackhawk 44 mag shooting 180 gr power points

I'm no Quick Draw McGraw but I won't have to shoot something twice very often.

THUCYDIDES.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Hey Deth502, did you ever do the 7 yard test on your .40 S&W? I would like to say going back and reading my original post it came off as harsh, my apologies for that. I was thinking in a practical sense that if a person is having a hard time hitting an 8.5X11" piece of paper, is it a good idea to cary a weapon that one can't shoot more reliably than that? Thinking of how this would be a defenive use of a handgun in public and there could be other people around. I was thinking nobody wants to miss the bad guy and hit an innocent bystander with a stray shot. This is how I approach my selection of CCW handguns.

As a personal example, I had a snubbie .375 magnum revolver. With full power 158 gr. magnum loads that I can shoot perfectly well in my 4" and 6" revolvers I was all over the place with it, even at 7 yards. It was so bad due to the recoil, I could not reliably count on hitting a torso sized target. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting it more than an arms length from the intended target. With +P .38 spl. loads it was managable but not as powerful as my Glock 19 with +P ammo and a lot less rounds.

I need to get in on this challenge, maybe next month. I'm trying to get my wife to come out and use her Glock to get some practice in, would be a good time to do a set of targets for OG's challenge.

Man, how did I miss this challenge?

Anyway, I want in.
    I shot my Ruger P89 w/Winchester 115 gr. HP.
    My carry holster is the Fobus paddle.

I shot my target this morning @ 15 yds. The 1st 3 were to the left, and I'm contributing that to a bad trigger pull.
    The next 7 were pretty much where I wanted them.

There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Thanks for posting, I had given up this thread considering the lack of response. Now I have to get out my hand guns when I come in from deer hunting tomorrow and shoot my November targets. Lately I have been just shooting my magnum long guns but I'm always up for a challenge.

THUCYDIDES.

Your challenge is better than past contests.
    The mailing of targets to get scored was a pain.
    This challenge is a lot better.

I'm in for more monthly shooting.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    At least your shooting, its practice time with the gun even if you are unhappy with your targets. Does that mean you won't play if I post a 100 yard challenge match? I'm thinking of doing that with any handgun, any caliber, any shooting position but not till next spring. I'm having enough problems trying to get all these 2 yard shooters to shoot at 15 yards.
    I guess it depends on the size of the targets. I might consider shooting a pistol at 100 yards if the target were, say, the size of a large house. Actually, I may shoot at it, but as I have demonstrated, my skill with a handgun is not great, though I love to shoot them. I need to spend some time with someone who knows how to shoot a handgun to help me out. I shoot rifles and shotguns acceptibly, I need to figure out this handgun thing.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for posting, I had given up this thread considering the lack of response. Now I have to get out my hand guns when I come in from deer hunting tomorrow and shoot my November targets. Lately I have been just shooting my magnum long guns but I'm always up for a challenge.
    Just got back from sea last night. I have duty this weekend so I will try to get out next weekend. I would like to use my new CZ82 for this and see how I do.

Maybe I will even get my daughter to give it a shot. She shoots my CZ fairly well, especially for what little experience she has with handguns.

NRA Endowment Member

[QUOTE=smittylite;251033]OK, came in right under this month's deadline. Shot today, temp was 95, sunny with wind at about 10mph from right to left.

I like that weapon. Is it a .22 conversion or is it a .22 pistol?

NRA Endowment Member

Grump, went out today and when I opened the folder with my targets I found the ones that I had not posted in September. Against my better judgement, here they are.

1911 Springfield .45 ACP

Glock 19 9mm

NRA Endowment Member

Here are my submission for this month. Better than last time I was able to shoot, but not great. I do have an excuse this time. The range has one of those cable set ups to move the target out onto the range. My lane must have been right in line with the vent ducting as the targets were swinging. At 15 yards they didn't swing too bad, but they were definately not stationary. So much for excuses, here are the targets.

1911 Springfield .45 ACP

Glock 19 9mm

NRA Endowment Member

See, all you needed was a little practice. Looks like you prefer your Glock to the 45. Now I'm feeling all guilty and have to get out there to shoot since I missed last month.

Considering the lack of response this will be the last month I do this 15 yard carry gun challenge and I am open for suggestions for course and targets starting January. We need a way to get people out there shooting and I tried to make it easy by making it any gun you carry in a holster but

THUCYDIDES.

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. I'm in for December.
    I'm in for anything 50 yds or less. My back yard is about that wide.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I have been wanting to do a 50 yard .22 rifle with open sights. I keep meaning to take my rifle to the range with me, shoot 10 rounds and then post the target and see how many others will do the same.

So far we have 50 yards, 22 rifle and open sights, anything else? If not I will make it happen in January with a standard NRA 50 yard bullseye target.

THUCYDIDES.

So far we have 50 yards, 22 rifle and open sights, anything else? If not I will make it happen in January with a standard NRA 50 yard bullseye target.
    That was my thinking as well. That was the targets are easily accessible, even if you forget to bring them. Almost every range will have some for sale.

Thanks for taking this on. It was not my intention, just something I have been thinking about doing. But you will probably get past the thinking stage well before I do which will at least get me out shooting.

NRA Endowment Member

See, all you needed was a little practice. Looks like you prefer your Glock to the 45. Now I'm feeling all guilty and have to get out there to shoot since I missed last month.
    I know. I really like my 1911 but if I don't start improving soon I will probaby either sell or trade for another 9mm. It does me know good to have a pistol that I can not reliably hit the target with.

NRA Endowment Member

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast