Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OLD GRUMPS CARRY GUN CHALLENGE

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

OLD GRUMPS CARRY GUN CHALLENGE

2-3-4 handgun iron sight single or double action 15 yard challenge revolver or pistol. Any position as long as it is 15 yards from the target. Any caliber as long as it starts with a 2 or a 3 or a 4. If you have all 3 you can post 3 targets otherwise just post for the caliber/s you have.

For instance a 9 MM would be considered a 3 because of bullet diameter.

Targets to be posted no later than midnight of the month you are shooting for. So from today you have 11 days to get March in and then you will be shooting for April, May, June, July etc.

No warm up targets, no sighter shots, this game is to see what you can do straight from the holster shooting cold

10 rounds per gun no matter what it's cylinder or magazine capacity, this ios not a timed event so you have plenty of time to reload.

1. Center ring is + 10
    2. Outer black ring is + 9
    3. First white ring is + 8
    4. Outside ring is + 7
    5. If a shot is outside the 7 ring and the lead line does not touch the black line it is a -1
    6. If your gun is capable of shooting double action you must shoot double action
    7. Load and shoot the target in the link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Content/pdf...tol_target.pdf

Post picture of the gun, ammo used and holster along with the target. If it has a holster and you can and do carry it in town or in the woods it counts as a carry gun and is eligible for this challenge match.

Post the date and time you shot the target, wind speed and direction to you and temperature if you shoot outside.

List make and model gun, Ammo brand , bullet type and weight. Position you shoot in is entirely up to you. In a shooting situation you will do whatever you can to maximize hits so anything short of a Ransom rest or gun vise is allowed.
    Last edited by old Grump; 03-22-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Score 81

22 LR target shot at noon 84 degrees, wind 16 mph blowing from right to left across the target. Ruger single six revolver, single action, Remington, (bucket of bullets), Hi speed 40 gr plated RN bullets.

Score 86 (bullet hole top right quadrant of the 9 ring is a double)

.357 target shot at 1215 hrs same wind and temp. Dan Wesson M15 4" barrel, shot double action. Sellier & Bellot, 158 gr FMJ flat tipped bullets

Score 95

44 mag target shot at 1225 hrs same wind and temp. Ruger Super Blackhawk shot single action. CCI Blazer, 240 gr JHP bullets

Pictures to follow as soon as I find the camera and charge the $&**)( ## camera battery.

Needless to say I have some sight adjusting to do but the whole object is to see how your gun shoots right now off the shelf or out of your holster without fine tuning. Next month we will all be shooting aces. Can't believe I said that with a straight face or biting my tongue.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Post picture of the gun, ammo used and holster along with the target. If it has a holster and you can and do carry it in town or in the woods it counts as a carry gun and is eligible for this challenge match.
    DQ!!

i can do the 9 and 40, but my 22 pistol isint a carry gun, and i dont have a holster for it. how many points do you deduct for that?

No deductions, you get points for what you shoot not what you don't shoot.

Finally got camera to working and this is what I used for my shooting this month, next month it might be 3 other guns it's only for fun.

THUCYDIDES.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

How many rounds, one magazine or a certain specific number. It would appear that 6 or 12 rounds would be good because of your penchant towards revolvers (at the moment).

I am going to try to get out this month and next, then I will be underway and will miss a couple of months. It will still be fun. I plan on using my Glock 19 and my 1911, both of which I have holsters for. I would use my SIG Mosquito but I have not found a holster for it yet. Thanks for starting another competion.

Heard anything about the C&R military rifle competion like we did last year?
    Last edited by ltorlo64; 03-22-2012 at 08:58 AM.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    How many rounds, one magazine or a certain specific number. It would appear that 6 or 12 rounds would be good because of your penchant towards revolvers (at the moment).
    My post is corrected, it is a 10 round match and my next 3 guns may very well be all pistols. The challenge isn't geared to any particular kind of gun except you have a holster and you can and/or have carried it. My choice of revolvers for this round was only based on the fact that those are the three I carry the most for SD, medium game hunting and small game hunting. Next month I will be probably shooing all pistols and the month after a combination. I won't know till I get ready to shoot.

I thought about doing the C&R type match but I'm not a moderator and don't feel comfortable about handling other peoples money for gunsnet unless everybody agrees to the same set of rules we shot under the last time. This match is just a challenge match to see how you shoot your carry gun cold without any warm up. Just draw and shoot. I'm trying to shake the shooters of a gun board out of the tree and out to the firing line.

THUCYDIDES.

imo, which, i know, dosent count for shit, i say if you want to do something with the c&r, go for it. if the site wants to start an "official" one, i dont see how posting a member one would interfere. personally, i prefer this kind of thing. small, informal, no bs with mailing targets and shit. gonna check the rest of the new posts here, then grab the new remington 700 sps to run a few rnds through it for break in, and maybe get a rough zero on it. ill try to get a few pistol rounds off while im out.

"3" and "4" classes.

started out with the 9mm.
    (in order of point value)

1. 10
    2. 10
    3. 10
    4. 9
    5. 9
    6. 9
    7. 8
    8. 8
    9. 7
    10. -1

total= 79

now for the .40. target in under the 9 in the pic, but i really dont think this one is too unbelievable that proof is necessary.

1. 7
    2. 7
    3. 0 (outside the 7 ring, but touching the ring)
    4. -1
    5. -1
    6. -1
    7. -1
    8. -1
    9. -1
    10. -1

total= 7 and this was after i warmed up by shooting the 9.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (48.2 KB, 13 views)

Touching the ring gives you the 7 so your score was 14. There will be more than one score like that because we don't shoot the guns we rely on and carry as much as we should, they are taken for granted. The .357 is my go to gun for nearly everything related to HD and SD but I am getting rusty with it. Last time I shot the 22 and the 44 mag was at 100 yards in a wind. You can tell the 22 is still adjusted for that target on that day.

The scores from your 9 are so much better than mine it isn't funny. Last time I shot it early last December I think I had 3 shots on paper at 25 yards out of 20 rounds.

THUCYDIDES.

im a bit surprised that the 40 was that bad. i might have been a little better had i taken more time. both pistols went out loaded w my defensive rounds, from the time i placed the target and walked back to the truck, i took less than 2 min to shoot both targets, which includes clearing the hp's out of the chamber and switching the mags for the fmj's, and reloading with defensive rounds. well less than 30 sec actual shooting at each target.

and im actually surprised i didnt do better with the 9mm. thats my main gun, although i dont carry it too often, thats the one that always goes to the range with me, and more importantly, the one that goes to the shooting competitions with me, even though, unfortunately, this is the first time ive had the pistols out since last fall. i think the one that got me the -1 was too much finger on the first initial double action trigger pull.

eta, im not saying that my .40 scores could have been too much better, but id ave been happier if more than 5 shots were actually ON THE PAPER!!! lol.

That is the point of the exercise, my regular carry gun and bedside gun is the .357 mag. I have the advantage that I have been shooting it since the late 70's so I might be a bit more familiar with it but on the range I'm used to shooting it single action like I do when I was deer hunting with it. The 44 mag surprised me, the first shot was off because it went before I had a good sight picture but that is real life. The 22 I had not adjusted the sights since the last time I shot it at 100 yards and had forgotten. If I had used it for small game hunting I would have scared the heck out of what I was shooting and then they would have died laughing at me. Regular range shooting I'm going to take a few zeroing shots and adjust my sights if needed before I get down to serious shooting.

THUCYDIDES.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    "3" and "4" classes.

now for the .40. target in under the 9 in the pic, but i really dont think this one is too unbelievable that proof is necessary.

1. 7
    2. 7
    3. 0 (outside the 7 ring, but touching the ring)
    4. -1
    5. -1
    6. -1
    7. -1
    8. -1
    9. -1
    10. -1

total= 7 and this was after i warmed up by shooting the 9.
    You should sell the .40 as you can't hit worth a damn with it. Seriously so! Stick with the 9 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You should sell the .40 as you can't hit worth a damn with it. Seriously so! Stick with the 9 mm.
    Could be, my 9 is the same way but on the other hand you should have seen me with a 45. Ever shoot the legs out from under your target during a match and the only score I got was from an errant shot by the man next to me on my target before I killed it. I laughed, I cried, I was em-bare-assed in public.

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    while i cant argue at all about how much less than stellar the results were, i do have to say that i still feel comfortable carrying it for self defense.

on of the reasons i carry it is that with the polymer frame, it is much lighter than the 9mm, and a bit thinner in profile as well.

that said, first off, 15 yds is a bit far for self defense, imo. id be curious to see what my results were if that were cut in half to a reasonable self defense distance.

second, the group was mostly 6-10" below center. cutting that distance in half, would mathematically put that as 3-5" low. i wouldnt worry about my shots going 3-5" below the center of my attackers heart should the need arise.

Could be, my 9 is the same way but on the other hand you should have seen me with a 45. Ever shoot the legs out from under your target during a match and the only score I got was from an errant shot by the man next to me on my target before I killed it. I laughed, I cried, I was em-bare-assed in public.

lol, btdt. i was in a competition once, rifles out at 200 yd, not too far, but that was the problem. the power of my scope was a bit high for being so close. there was a right target set, and a left set, with 3 targets on each. mine was the middle target on the right post. being so zoomed in i had trouble locating the correct post, and ended up shooting 3 of my 5 shots on the left middle target. needles to say, that guy had a great score!, me, not so much....

So I made it to the range for the first time in about 3 months. Actually it has been longer than that because the last time I went I took a friend and his kids. I did very little shooting but watched and helped the kids while they shot. Now that the excuses are put in place, here is how I did;

With the Glock 19

Total 25

Springfield 1911, GI Issue

Total 18

I spent some more time with the 1911, but I need to do that some more. Luckily there is one more weekend before April.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Nice looking guns but what do your targets look like. Are you all shooting way high, low or all around home plate? I know it wasn't a typical distance but I was trying to make it far enough to challenge the guns ability to hold a group and the shooters ability to shoot a group and still be a feasible self defense situation. For instance inside my house 8 yards would be considered a long shot, under 3 would be more likely. Outside in my yard it could feasibly be up to 60 yards but more likely 10 to 15 yards, basically from my door to where most people park in my driveway.

I deliberately chose the target and scoring to show the difference between hitting in a critical area and a miss or slight wound area. My version of go/no go. So far the worst target still had 3 shots in the critical area and that would stop a fight.

Come on shooters you are out there, let us see some targets shot with your carry gun.

THUCYDIDES.

Nice looking guns but what do your targets look like. Are you all shooting way high, low or all around home plate? I know it wasn't a typical distance but I was trying to make it far enough to challenge the guns ability to hold a group and the shooters ability to shoot a group and still be a feasible self defense situation. For instance inside my house 8 yards would be considered a long shot, under 3 would be more likely. Outside in my yard it could feasibly be up to 60 yards but more likely 10 to 15 yards, basically from my door to where most people park in my driveway.

I deliberately chose the target and scoring to show the difference between hitting in a critical area and a miss or slight wound area. My version of go/no go. So far the worst target still had 3 shots in the critical area and that would stop a fight.

Come on shooters you are out there, let us see some targets shot with your carry gun.
    Mine were all over, mostly high and right though, and I shoot left handed. I didn't post the targets because I didn't want you to spit coffee all over your computer screen. If they are still at home after work I will take a picture and post them, but don't blame me if you when you have to clean your computer screen.

NRA Endowment Member

Can't be any worse than a couple of C&R targets I posted last year. I made a lot of targets like that before I started to catch on to this shooting thing.

THUCYDIDES.

Well it is April Challenge month time

I will start, I borrowed Trucker brothers old .357 and 45 auto and shot my old competition 22 now my rabbit squirrel gun. 61 degrees and a slight 5mph breeze in my face which felt nice and was no hindrance to shooting.

Last time I shot it I was shooting at small bore pistol targets and the bull was a lot smaller so I grouped a wee bit low, still managed to shoot a 91. It was also the only gun I shot one handed today. The Golden Bullet haters should not look at this target. 40gr plated round nose bullets and no misfires.

Next up was brothers old JP Sauer & Sohn Western Marshall model he bought in 1970. Ammo used was UMC 125 gr JSP and that ammo made this gun bark. After the first shot I went to a 2 hand grip and it still beat up my knuckles with the trigger guard. I had never fired this ammo before and I was used to this gun shooting high for me so my first shot was low and made about 4 pounds of confetti out of the old catalogs I had behind it to hold the target box in place. I went to a center hold and didn't do badly after that considering how much it bit me. Salvaged a nice score of 87 from it and was very happy. I gave that load to my brother and told him to forget the old 158 gr rounds he was shooting before.

Hand was a little shaky after the .357 so I shot his Colt MkIV and again I used a new ammo I had never tried before. Winchester Personal Defense Ammo 230 gr JHP. It shot to the same point of aim as my 230 gr hardball ammo I usually shoot so this is good, cheap practice and then serious social work ammo without having to correct for the difference. One shot high in the bull and two shots low in the 8 and 9 ring and the other 87 were all in the same ragged hole at the bottom edge of the 10 ring for a great score of 96.

Shooting conditions were perfect and these were the best guns in the house for the 2/3/4 competition, my scores won't be quite as good next month.

So to recap
    22LR - 91
    .357 - 87
    45 ACP - 96

Lets get those targets posted shooters, it will be 13 degrees below frigid and snow on the roof sooner than you think. Lets take advantage of the good times.

THUCYDIDES.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast