Thread: Saiga 12 recycling problem

Saiga 12 recycling problem

Hi Folks!

Got my new Saiga 12, and am having a recycling problem. I have the gas tube selector set at 2, and once the gun fires, it won't automatically recycle. I am using Fiocchi 00 buckshot, and it won't recycle with the setting at 1 or 2. When I tilt the gun back and forth, I can hear something sliding back and forth in the gas tube. Is this normal? Any ideas as to what my problem may be would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gary

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question

When you say "recycle" what exactly do you mean? Is it ejecting the fired shell? Ejecting but not chambering a new shell? Also is your "new" Saiga factory new, new to you, converted, stock, etc?
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 03-23-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

So your Saig won't take empty aluminum cans to be recycled, bfd!

The term is cycle, the weapon isn't cycling. Question; do you know how to take the bolt carrier out of the weapon? After all it's just an AK with a 12 ga. barrel on it. The gas piston I suppose could of come out of the carrier. That's why I'm asking if you know how to pull the bolt carrier out as the gas piston should be attached to it. It should be able to wobble a bit, not be rigid like a fense post.

Sorry for the incorrect terminology folks! It won't cycle. I guess the correct term is that the puck is sliding back and forth in the gas tube. I'm not sure how tight the fit should be, but is seems pretty loose to me; like a bad piston ring in an engine. It won't eject a shell and won't chamber the next shell. I pulled the adjustable stopper plug out and checked the ports in the gas block, and they're all clear into the barrel, and none are covered. It's new from the factory. Only have a few rounds thru it, and I've read they require a break in. The gas piston is attached to the carrier. And yes, it would be nice if it would recycle my aluminum cans once I can get it cycling!

Update: I've found it will cycle fine with Federal 00 buck, so it seems to be apatite for shells, and not a serious system malfunction. Do you think the CSS low brass reliability kit might clear this up?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Gary Thomas; 03-24-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Thomas View Post
    Sorry for the incorrect terminology folks! It won't cycle. I guess the correct term is that the puck is sliding back and forth in the gas tube. I'm not sure how tight the fit should be, but is seems pretty loose to me; like a bad piston ring in an engine. It won't eject a shell and won't chamber the next shell. I pulled the adjustable stopper plug out and checked the ports in the gas block, and they're all clear into the barrel, and none are covered. It's new from the factory. Only have a few rounds thru it, and I've read they require a break in. The gas piston is attached to the carrier. And yes, it would be nice if it would recycle my aluminum cans once I can get it cycling!

Update: I've found it will cycle fine with Federal 00 buck, so it seems to be apatite for shells, and not a serious system malfunction. Do you think the CSS low brass reliability kit might clear this up?

Thanks!
    Ah, good to hear another brand is making it work. Yes a low brass conversion would probably help as those are usually lighter lower pressure loads. But, once you do that I would wonder if damage might be done if you switch to some good buck shot or a slug. The Saiga 12's have been talked about being ammo sensitive. They probably do better with slower burn rate powders that have a longer pulse from start of burn to end. A quick burning powder might not produce pressure long enough to cycle the long gas system.

Now that you know Federals work, try some Remington and Winchester buck and slugs. I've never been overly impressed with Fiochi ammo, it always seems loaded on the low side.

Got the new reliability kit from CSS installed today, and it now shoots and ejects everything I have like butter! Love this gun!

Thanks for the help!

Got the low brass conversion kit from CSS and it fires everything smooth as butter now! Couldn't be happier with the new gun! Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Thomas View Post
    Got the low brass conversion kit from CSS and it fires everything smooth as butter now! Couldn't be happier with the new gun! Thanks for the help!
    Sounds great! Always good to hear a happy ending to a weapon function problem.