Thread: What did I buy?

What did I buy?

Picked up a full case of this chinese, copper-clad ammo from a friend yesterday. It's all FMJ. Can you tell me anything about it? I trust the guy but want to know if I got a decent deal based on the market. What should a 1,220 case cost?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

A picture of the headstamp might help. As I recall some or maybe most Chinese ammo was steel core but I could be wrong. Off hand I'd say it's worth at least $200 per 1000rds which is in the ballpark for most current production 7.62x39 ammo. Then again it could be worth a good bit more or less once it's properly identified. Sorry I can't be of more help
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    A picture of the headstamp might help. As I recall some or maybe most Chinese ammo was steel core but I could be wrong.
    Thats what I seem to remember as well which is why you don't see it any more. I think that got it banned from import because it was decleared as AP ammo. That or there iis some ban against Chinese ammo in general. I think the later which would make me think if you find a colector looking for this type of stuff it might be worth a bit more than you average 7.62x39.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Pic of the headstamp and the whole round is helpful. Someone around here will recognize it. Put a magnet to the bullet to figure out if it's the steel core stuff.

Welcome to the boards

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    My steelcore rounds are stamped 71 31 are highly magnetic and are
    copper colored with a red band where the case meets the bullet.
    I popped one of the bullets and cut it lengthwise with a dremel
    cutoff wheel. Mine cost a bit more than surplus rounds.
    Just me and my monkey....

Very good ammo, treat as corrosive. Chinese ammo has steel bullet jackets, so a magnet will not tell you what the core is. If it does have a mild steel core it is not actually AP, but some sellers market it as such and demand a high premium. It is good shooting ammo, and is worth what good shooting ammo is worth, $200-225/1000. Lots of that stuff around, so no collector value.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
    Lots of that stuff around, so no collector value.
    Good to know thanks.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..