Thread: Canned Meat?

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Canned Meat?

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

No, but thanks for the link! Our canned meat and fish come from Costco's or Sam's.

I know guys who can it themselves the old way with glass jars, it's a great way to moderate the gaminess taste in venison through the use of spices you can use. I plan on canning most of my game from here on out.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I know guys who can it themselves the old way with glass jars, it's a great way to moderate the gaminess taste in venison through the use of spices you can use. I plan on canning most of my game from here on out.
    One of my coworkers does that. He cans a lot of his deer meat and when they have sales on beef he buys the larger roasts and breaks them down and cans them. He's brought in both deer and beef that he cooked and canned with potatoes and carrots. Probably 2-3 years old. Heated some up in the microwave and it was just like fresh made beef stew.

IIRC he cooks everything and puts it in the sterile jars, drops the lids on the jars and put them in the oven making sure that none of the jars are touching, he said they can explode/burst if they touch. After a certain amount of time (can't recall how long) he removes them and lets them cool. The lids suck right down and you can then screw on the ring if you want. At least that's the method as I recall it. Pretty simple really. I don't think he has ever done this with pork or chicken but it seems like it would work with just about any meat.

The next county over has or used to have a big kitchen where you paid a fee and brought your stuff in, cooked it and actually put it into different size cans and sealed it. The fee covered the use of the kitchen and the cans. A couple of folks I know did that because the cans are less fragile than glass jars but if you don't mark them well, unlike a jar, you have to open them to see the contents.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell