Thread: Sighting in new AK

Sighting in new AK

Hi guys. Finally going to get a chance to sight in my new Russian Red saiga ak. I've read several different reports about the process. What do you set the rear sight to? Mine has either a 1, 2 or 3. The guide with the sight tool said 2 at 25 meters but I've read differing info. Assuming I sight it in at 25 meters, do I leave the rear sight set to 2 or move it back to 1 when I'm done? Thanks for all the help!

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

I believe that you set it on 1 at 25 meters to zero and that is good for 100 meters. The numbered settings should be good at their distances after that. If you set it back to the 'P' setting it will have a 'battle' setting good to approximately 325 meters meaning without moving the sight you should be able to hit a 5 foot 7 inch tall man from muzzle to 325 meters.

Putting the sight on the closest setting to his actual distance will result in hits much closer to the point of aim.

If I am wrong, someone will correct this soon. If they stay in the spirit of today I might even get called a name and that would just be devastating

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    I believe that you set it on 1 at 25 meters to zero and that is good for 100 meters. The numbered settings should be good at their distances after that. If you set it back to the 'P' setting it will have a 'battle' setting good to approximately 325 meters meaning without moving the sight you should be able to hit a 5 foot 7 inch tall man from muzzle to 325 meters.

Putting the sight on the closest setting to his actual distance will result in hits much closer to the point of aim.

If I am wrong, someone will correct this soon. If they stay in the spirit of today I might even get called a name and that would just be devastating
    Sounds about right to me "a name"

I allways put 1 at 25 which in turn zeros it for 100.

Quote Originally Posted by stinker View Post
    Sounds about right to me "a name"
    I'm gonna tell!

Thanks for the response. There is no "P" on the rifle - just a 1,2.3. I was just looking at the guide again in the sight tool packet. It says to put it on 2 then shoot at 25 yards. After this, Im not sure if I put it back to 1 or just all the way back. Hence the confusion!!!

The "P" should look like a staple or an upside down U. It's the battle zero. Vorkutinez or Frontovik could probably tell you the word it stands for. If there is a setting lower than 1, it should be the battle zero. If 1 is the lowest setting then Imanaknut could tell you what you have. It would help if you send a picture in your private message. You have to have 25 or 50 posts before you can post photos on the forum, I don't remember which.
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 04-08-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Ok, shot the rifle today. Evidently I only have a elevation tool and nothing to correct left / right adjustments. I guess I have to buy another tool to make the corrections.