Thread: Skull and antler display ideas needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Skull and antler display ideas needed

OK I think I have a pretty good idea here but would like some feedback before I actually go ahead and put it together.
    This is the rack I found in the "been out walking" thread after cleaning.
    I've been told that it would be good to boil it but I kind of like the discoloration as it is and think that boiling it would get rid of that. On the other hand I'm wondering if boiling is better as far as preserving or if that really matters. I did use some bleach to get rid of some mossy green stain.
    How long would one boil it?

I'm also using a piece of rough cut full dimension lumber that been here at my place longer than I've been alive. I just cleaned it, left the blade cuts and just used poly satin finish.
    Just wondering if it looks as good as I think it does or if the head deserves a better finish store bought type board behind it.
    Also could use some ideas on attaching the head to the board. I was planning on wiring it in strategic places where the bone would hide the wire.
    Any better products out there that makes this an easier task?
    I'd hate to ruin this by rushing it.
    Was also planning on giving the antlers a lite rub with furniture polish. Bad idea?
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Never mind

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

drywall screws through the back of the board.

not feeling the 2x4. its not the rough cut look that im not liking, its the plain square dimensions. needs a little more flair, imo

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    Nice looking. It's got that rustic thing goin'
    reminds me, I have some skulls to clean
    Just me and my monkey....

Quote Originally Posted by binky59 View Post
    Nice looking. It's got that rustic thing goin'
    reminds me, I have some skulls to clean
    Thanks that's what I was going for since the skull was showing some age already.
    How do you clean yours? This is new to me

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    drywall screws through the back of the board.

not feeling the 2x4. its not the rough cut look that im not liking, its the plain square dimensions. needs a little more flair, imo
    It's actually a 1x but I know what you're saying that's what was throwing me and why I was asking. I know I have a thinner piece around here with bark on the sides. I must have put it where I knew I could find it then somebody moved it. Ya know how that goes
    Did the wire and can redo it if I find a better piece I just wanted to get it up on the wall. Thanks for the input

I'm going to be going back out soon on the same creek maybe I'll get lucky again it was a pretty cool find.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

btw, boiling it is just to get teh flesh off of it. if its "clean" theres no need for that. if you want to whiten it, i mean REALLY whiten it, you need to find some peroxide, not the drugstore shit, but REAL peroxide. if you ever see the commercial skulls that are so clean that they look fake, like theyre made of plastic, thats from the peroxide. afaic, the skull itself looks better like that, imo.

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York

Bleaching skulls

Thanks that's what I was going for since the skull was showing some age already.
    How do you clean yours? This is new to me

I never boil skulls, if the skull is dry when you find it use a Hydrogen Peroxide soak.
    I use the 3% drugstore type @ $.99 per pint, and add 1/2 cup of Trisodium Phosphate
    per gallon. TSP is what they used to add to Tide detergent to make your whites brighter, the EPA
    banned the use of TSP back in the 70's so you need to buy it from a chemical supplier.
    For fresh bones I beatle clean them then do the wash.

It's actually a 1x but I know what you're saying that's what was throwing me and why I was asking. I know I have a thinner piece around here with bark on the sides. I must have put it where I knew I could find it then somebody moved it. Ya know how that goes
    Did the wire and can redo it if I find a better piece I just wanted to get it up on the wall. Thanks for the input

I'm going to be going back out soon on the same creek maybe I'll get lucky again it was a pretty cool find.[/QUOTE]
    Just me and my monkey....