Thread: Mosin that passes NO Go test

Mosin that passes NO Go test

If a Mosin passes a No Go test, in your opinions, would the weapon be safe to fire?

brickman7

Quote Originally Posted by brickman7 View Post
    If a Mosin passes a No Go test, in your opinions, would the weapon be safe to fire?

brickman7
    What do you mean "passes"? If the bolt closes on the No Go gauge, then it is most certainly NOT safe to fire.

Even if it doesn't close, you still need to test the GO gauge. If the bolt cannot go into battery on the Go guage, then you really have a problem.

I would highly reccomend practicing due dilligence when testing a gun for safety issues. Don't wind up with a bolt in your face mang.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

If the bolt does not close on the NO Go gauge it should be safe to shoot. If it closes on the No Go but does not close on the Field gauge it should still be OK to shoot. If the bolt should close on a Field gauge I would not fire it until a suitable bolt to correct the headspace could be found.

I guess what I should have said was "if it doesn't close on the No Go"....Thanx for the reply!

This helps with the brain fart that I've been having about the headspace gauges! But from what I've been reading about the 3 gauges, the Go gauge is used for re-barreling and re-chambering
    a rifle and not for checking the safety of the rifle...Is this true?
    Last edited by brickman7; 04-11-2012 at 07:43 PM.

This helps with the brain fart that I've been having about the headspace gauges! But from what I've been reading about the 3 gauges, the Go gauge is used for re-barreling and re-chambering
    Probably right there. It's been a while since I boned up on this stuff, so my terminology may be a little off.

I would definitely deffer to Sheutzenman's advice over mine on any given gun technicality. He is a darn living treasure around these parts! (Heck, a fair amount of the obscure stuff I know I picked up from him anyways.)

Thankx for all the help with my questions...I appreciate you all!

I believe the Go gauge tells you that you have enough headspace to chamber an in-spec. round.

I think I may have a grip on it now.

Go.......the headspace is close to factory specifics.

No Go...the headspace increases from wear and the gauge thickens.

Field.....the headspace continues to widen and the gauge gets thicker.

Am I close in my thinking? I know I may seem to not have a clue, but I just have to see it in my mind to grasp it.
    One more dumb question! As the gap increases in the chamber, actually what wears, the bolt face or the chamber?
    Isn't it the bolt? I'm asking all this because I want to do all this work myself and not have to run to a smith everytime I get a new Mosin!!
    From all I've read on this forum, there is a lot of knowledge hear and I feel I can learn a lot from the minds here!!

Thanks!!
    Mason

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Go gauges are often used for rebarreling. However I actually have found surplus weapons that were tighter than the Go. They were Turkish Mausers. If headspace is too tight it could potentially create a high pressure situation that could blow the weapon up. I have seen the results of an M1 Garand that was rebarreled by an amature, (the owner of it) and they did not check headspace. The weapon was destroyed on the 1st shot at the range. The owner (lucky cuss) escaped injury, but the weapon was toast, Scrap metal.

The steps between Go, No Go and Field are usually about .004" LONGER which is equal to most note book or printer paper in thickness.

Mosins are rimmed cartridges and as such the case is heald to the bolt face by the extractor. A rimless type case, like 8 mm Mauser or .30-06 headspaces off the shoulder of the case and is not as securely held to the bolt face. Excessive headspace will usually result in a case failure at the head of the case. That's where the thick bottom of the case transitions to the thinner case wall.

What changes as headspace increases you ask. Bolt lugs get compressed sometimes. Sometimes the bolt lug recesses in the receivers get compressed. Chambers don't wear except at the throat from powder errosion.

Thanks for your input! I learn something every time I use this site. I guess that it's safe to say I should have and use all 3 gauges to be safe!

Thanks for letting me use Your Brain:

Mason

I guess what I should have said was "if it doesn't close on the No Go
    Last edited by nikkoo; 11-30-2012 at 01:20 AM.

a schuetz blog? huh wut?!?! where????

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Notch View Post
    a schuetz blog? huh wut?!?! where????
    I'm thinking spam-bot.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"