Thread: Latest update on MS house - it looks like a house!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Thumbs up Latest update on MS house - it looks like a house!

Well, here's how far we've gotten - should be dried-in today (sheathing on the roof), along with the rest of the roof and side porch built:

Making progress!!

Things are going to pick-up now - the inside subs can get in next week and the cement guys can finish up with the french drain and backfill - then it'll really start coming together.

Looking forward to the backfilling getting done as I can seed the bermuda and start working on elimination of the mud...

And I know somebody will ask - those rafters are 2x6" and I think on 12" (no - actually 16") centers - very sturdy. The framer really likes to over-engineer but then, with the wind storms that we get here, that's not a bad thing... It'll be sheathed and then a metal roof will go over that.

Still need the roof built over the "left" side of the house but they have to grind the wall down some next to the garage... the cement guys were supposed to drop it down 6" there but forgot to... but the framer says it's OK = he's got the equipment and can take care of it. Very good guy to work with.

See, the owner of the cememt company fell ill during this job and then passe away - very sad. His son and crew carried on and got the job done and did a very good job but there were a couple of "little" things they goofed - but both can be easily fixed. The framer was good friends with the cement man and was very sad at his passing. These guys are all tight and work together verey well - good communication - which makes it easier on us... The framer isn't looking at the cement crew's goof as a PITA, rather something he can "cover" for them. Very nice.

So, we carry forward...
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 04-12-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: to correct a statement
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Very cool. This is the part that goes like mad. It seems that everything is coming together at a incredible speed - right up to the point that the house is dried in. Then it seems like it goes at a snail's pace and can get rather frustrating. The finishing out process takes a lot of time, and it goes even slower when you are doing a lot of that work yourself.

It looks great OSOK!! I'm very happy for you.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Thanks. We are going to keep up with the communications. A GC normally determines when the subs get in to do their thing - we're trying to let the electritian, plumber and HVAC guys work that out themselves - if they can't be there at the same time. But I think they can... though, the HVAC needs the electric run before he can hook anything up... so...

Looking good!

I admit, I can't hardly wait to see it finished.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Very nice to see everything falling into place.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Now that your gun rooms are shaping up, when are you going to start on the living quarters?

Nice house.

check the 5-11 posting for a more current pick.

There is so much involved with building a hosue... I am truely very fortunate to be able to be on-site while I work my "day" job - for the same reason that I can make this move in the first place.

Need to remember that when other things aren't going my way...