Thread: Anyone else got a Persian 98/29?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Anyone else got a Persian 98/29?

Bought mine years ago when Samco had excellent/select for $200. Had it out the other day for it's semiannual cleaning and evern after all these years I'm still in awe at the quality of this firearm. Even though it's a military arm the quality back in the 1930's was, IMHO equal to or better than our modern day commercial firearms.

IMHO it just doesn't get any better than pre-WWII Czech, German or Swiss manufacturing when it comes to firearms.

Anyone else got one of these gems?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Don't own a Persian 98/29, but certainly agree with you about the quality of many WWII firearms.

Thumbs up

Wonder what my 98/29 cost to manufacture back in 1934, (IIRC that's about when mine dates to)? I've gotta figure that even buying a bunch of them they had to cost what, $100 apiece? That's over $1700 in todays money when adjusted for inflation and the level of craftsmanship on my 98/29 is, IMHO better than what you'll get on most guns selling for $1700 today.

My K-31 is also way up there in regards to quality. I've always considered myself a "steward of history" when it comes to my Milsurps but with some of these I kind of feel like a collector of art as well.

When it comes to collecting milsurps there really is more than meets the eye, You've not only got the potential provenance of the firearm as pertains to it's issue and likely use on the battlefield but the design elements and craftsmanship of manufacture to boot.

Not a lot of things left these days that you can use, enjoy, learn from and at the end of the day, (so to speak) it's either held or gone up in value.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Never owned on but a guy I use to work with had 2 of them from Samco Global. They were beautiful. He got one of the unissued ones with the target and an Excellent condition one to shoot. I always regretted not getting one, beautiful weapons, long and graceful, classic looking.

PICTURES!

Quote Originally Posted by Notch View Post
    PICTURES!
    Sorry, no camera at the moment.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

very fine piece of workmanship. Those Czechs knew what they were doing. I'd also add Swedes to the mix, some of the 96 Mausers are gorgeous. I'd like to find one of the Persian carbines.

Quote Originally Posted by smittylite View Post
    very fine piece of workmanship. Those Czechs knew what they were doing. I'd also add Swedes to the mix, some of the 96 Mausers are gorgeous. I'd like to find one of the Persian carbines.
    I'm pretty sure there is/was one for sale on a local forum. I'll check. PM sent
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 09-20-2012 at 05:15 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068