Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And your 3 favorite whisk(e)ys are?

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

And your 3 favorite whisk(e)ys are?

I'm not really sure what prompted this, but about 2 - 3 years ago I started really kinda looking around the world of whiskey. Before that, I was content with having a jug of Makers or Beam Black around. Hell, they tasted good so what the hey.

Then I bought my first bottle of Buffalo Trace, damn, since then I've tried probably 40 different bottles of hooch from the US, Ireland and Scotland.

I'm pretty sure Bourbon is the way to go.

Don't get me wrong, I'll buck up sometimes. My bottle of Redbreast-12 was $36, my bottle of Bookers was $50. But I still tend to be the most impressed with the bottles that are both good to great that don't cost much. With that in mind, my fav 3 are:

4 Roses (yellow label) average cost $13

Buffalo Trace, average cost $19

Elijah Craig, average cost $23
    Returns June 3rd.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    When I was a drinking man I had a fondness for Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Bourbon it was a bit pricey but oh boy.

Brit air force men manning a radar site in Spain introduced me to Drambuie, I'm not a scotch drinker but that was pretty good.

If I could only have one more sip before I died bourbon drinker or not I would choose a nice bottle of Tullamore Dew and make it a BIG sip.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Well, bang for the buck I say:
    Bourbon=Evan Williams
    Scotch=Black Bottle
    Other=Early Times

Oh man. I'd have three favorites just from each region. But if I could buy any bottle today:

Redbreast. Dang I LOVE this stuff. Going to try a bottle of their 15 year as soon as I've got $70 I can piss away.

Glenfiddich. There are better Scotches out there. There are even better Speysides. But I do love the Glenfiddich. Particularly their 15 year Solara. Their 12 is my favorite entry level Speyside. (Sorry Glenlivet, we'll still always have the 16 Nadura, and Glenrothes let Barry Bro's & Rudd know that I'll be calling when I win the effing lottery.) In any case, if I want a Scotch and I don't want to spend a lot of time thinking about it, the 12 is my go-to.

Blanton's Bourbon. This stuff on the rocks is like a watermark I compare other bourbons to. A fantastic representative of our homeland style. American whiskey at it's very best. JMHO

Now if you wanna get real crazy, I'll start picking three from each whiskey producing region in the world. Scotland alone would produce scores!

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    When I was a drinking man I had a fondness for Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Bourbon it was a bit pricey but oh boy.

Brit air force men manning a radar site in Spain introduced me to Drambuie, I'm not a scotch drinker but that was pretty good.

If I could only have one more sip before I died bourbon drinker or not I would choose a nice bottle of Tullamore Dew and make it a BIG sip.
    I just read the other day that Tullamore is getting, after several years, it's own distillery again. IIRC the newest owners are trying to do the brand justice after it had sort of languished as a step child for decades.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Well, bang for the buck I say:
    Bourbon=Evan Williams
    Scotch=Black Bottle
    Other=Early Times
    Dude, have you tried the cheap 4 Roses yet?
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    Oh man. I'd have three favorites just from each region. But if I could buy any bottle today:

Redbreast. Dang I LOVE this stuff. Going to try a bottle of their 15 year as soon as I've got $70 I can piss away.

Glenfiddich. There are better Scotches out there. There are even better Speysides. But I do love the Glenfiddich. Particularly their 15 year Solara. Their 12 is my favorite entry level Speyside. (Sorry Glenlivet, we'll still always have the 16 Nadura, and Glenrothes let Barry Bro's & Rudd know that I'll be calling when I win the effing lottery.) In any case, if I want a Scotch and I don't want to spend a lot of time thinking about it, the 12 is my go-to.

Blanton's Bourbon. This stuff on the rocks is like a watermark I compare other bourbons to. A fantastic representative of our homeland style. American whiskey at it's very best. JMHO

Now if you wanna get real crazy, I'll start picking three from each whiskey producing region in the world. Scotland alone would produce scores!
    Wait, which Blanton's are we talking about, don't they 3 or 4 styles, or am I thinking of something else?

Believe it or not, out here in Fumbuck I can't purchase Blanton's anything.
    Returns June 3rd.

Contributor 05/2012

Jeff-since, at least at one point, you tied these into cigars......
    How do you drink them? Neat? Splash? Rocks?
    I guess, bottom line, is I'm not much of a drinker but when I have a cigar I much prefer to have something "cold" , with Port being the exception.
    Hope this is not too far off topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Dude, have you tried the cheap 4 Roses yet?
    Not yet. I've been meaning to. You recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by CigarGuy View Post
    I guess, bottom line, is I'm not much of a drinker but when I have a cigar I much prefer to have something "cold" , with Port being the exception.
    For me its neat in a nosing glass or depending on ABV a few drops of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Wait, which Blanton's are we talking about, don't they 3 or 4 styles, or am I thinking of something else?

Believe it or not, out here in Fumbuck I can't purchase Blanton's anything.
    I think I've just had their regular single barrel. They've got some other "rarer" expensive stuff, but I don't believe I've ever had it.

http://www.bevmax.com/sku1526.html?u...RREL%20BOURBON

Pricewise it's right between Michter's and a decent single malt Scotch. As I said before, flavorwise it's a fantastic example of bourbon. Straight up it's a little hot, but a cube or two of ice and all the flavors and aromas open right up. Great sipping / special occasion drink. A real treat.

It comes from the same distillery as Sazerac and Buffalo Trace. That's a good whiskey pedigree right there!

Quote Originally Posted by CigarGuy View Post
    Rocks. I use the big 2"x2" tivolo trays. They cool your drink down but melt really slowly. You can basically drink it as strong or diluted as you want. Lowering the temp I think takes some of the alcohol burn off and lets one taste the actual flavors present.

Yes, when I smoke, I drink. When I drink, I smoke.

Few things better than a good smoke with a good glass of whiskey.

Funny thing is, I don't really care to imbibe in either indoors, so summer is my time to make hay. I also prefer to have the grill fired up.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    I think I've just had their regular single barrel. They've got some other "rarer" expensive stuff, but I don't believe I've ever had it.

http://www.bevmax.com/sku1526.html?u...RREL%20BOURBON

Pricewise it's right between Michter's and a decent single malt Scotch. As I said before, flavorwise it's a fantastic example of bourbon. Straight up it's a little hot, but a cube or two of ice and all the flavors and aromas open right up. Great sipping / special occasion drink. A real treat.

It comes from the same distillery as Sazerac and Buffalo Trace. That's a good whiskey pedigree right there!
    Yep. The Buffalo Trace guys know what they're doing. I'll bet I could find Blanton's up in Columbia, I'll have to look next time I'm up there.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Not yet. I've been meaning to. You recommend?
    Oh yes, most definitely yes.

It's amazing how good the stuff is at the $13 price point. Ask Gonzo, I believe he's had it.
    Returns June 3rd.

1. Jameson
    2. Jameson
    3. Jameson

If you liked Beam Black, look into Single Barrel Jack. Reg price is around $50, but I've gotten it many times around $25/ fifth. Really is leaps and bounds above the regular Jack.

I've never really been a "rocks" guy, but I've always been curious about whiskey stones:
    http://www.amazon.com/Teroforma-1220...5184102&sr=8-1

Chills your drinks without melting - so no messing with flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelpwr View Post
    If you liked Beam Black, look into Single Barrel Jack. Reg price is around $50, but I've gotten it many times around $25/ fifth. Really is leaps and bounds above the regular Jack.

I've never really been a "rocks" guy, but I've always been curious about whiskey stones:
    http://www.amazon.com/Teroforma-1220...5184102&sr=8-1

Chills your drinks without melting - so no messing with flavor.
    Yep, I've seen those too. I'm sure they'd work, but I kinda appreciate a little dilution from the melting ice. For me the secret is a short pour that you can consume before the ice melts much.

Yeah I've seen the single barrel JD, as well as the Gentlemen Jack, haven't tried them. Tho, and I don't know why this makes me think of it, I did pick up a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel, vintage 2001. Pretty decent, not my fave, but good nonetheless.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
    1. Jameson
    2. Jameson
    3. Jameson
    So, lets see if I get this, you like Jameson, Jon?
    Returns June 3rd.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Crown Royal
    Gentlemen Jack
    Glenmorangie single malt Scotch

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I can name some very expensive brands... but what I'm more interested in is something that I can buy 10 cases of ....

For instance, "Black Bottle" Scotch? Tell me about that - never heard of it. I like Scotch above all other types. My "basic" is Dewars....

I'll add one that I've some personal experience with here in the south - Ten High (go ahead, laugh) - it tastes exactly like Jack Daniels when mixed with coke. Not much far off when drunk on the rocks. Get this - a 1.75 liter bottle is $18.... that's one that I'll stock up.

There's also a very good potato vodka... like $8 a bottle - but it's at home and I can't think of the the label - wojowoski or something like that
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast