Thread: !989 Sioux City air crash....

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway

!989 Sioux City air crash....

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...sh_dies_at_69/

When the crippled plane crash-landed in Sioux City, Iowa, more than half of the passengers survived -- one of the most admired life-saving efforts in aviation history
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

My paramedic instructor drove like a bat out of hell from Omaha along with a few hundred other medics all across the area to help out. He uses something that happened to one of the ems on scene to reinforce the need for the complete once over, wich is something ems skip every day. There were so many bodies laying out there ems just ran from one to the other with tags and pens, seeing who was worst off but could be saved and tagging those who will live as they were lightly (more or less) injured and those who will die as they had no chance other than a miracle. The ems asked a small girl who was conscious and laying on her back if she was doing ok, she said she was for being in a plane crash so the ems looked her over and left her but promised to come back and went on to find worse off folks. When the ems made it back to the girl she had died. A complete once over would have found the aircraft part that was sticking in her back, the wound bleeding her dry. From the look on his face and the tone of voice I suspect the ems guy was him.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

"What they all did, all working together as a team, now for the rest of history will be part of the training" of flight crews.
    I hope so.

I saw that whole thing...on the tube of course. Could not believe a single person could survive. Seems like a civilian had a camera and shot the landing through a fence.......

Wart
    "Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit,
    occidentis telum _est"

"A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands"
    Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    As i recall, it took so long from the explosion to actually getting the plane to an airport and lined up for any kind of landing, that it was on the radio news before the landing happened. Which would explain there being photographic evidence of the landing....people were waiting.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    As i recall, it took so long from the explosion to actually getting the plane to an airport and lined up for any kind of landing, that it was on the radio news before the landing happened. Which would explain there being photographic evidence of the landing....people were waiting.
    Strictly from memory, only one guy with a cam was waiting. Seems there was some indecision on which airport also.

Wart
    "Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit,
    occidentis telum _est"

"A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands"
    Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)