Thread: Flour or whole wheat berries, what's better to store.

Flour or whole wheat berries, what's better to store.

In filling 5 gallon buckets what is better to store, flour or whole wheat berries?
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

That kind of depends. Do you have a grinder? Granted, there's a lot you can do with wheat berries that doesn't involve grinding. If you're like most people in modern civilization though you're more accustomed to consuming flour daily than straight wheat kernels.

If you're set up to grind I'd recommend storing the berries. It's my understanding, and been my limited experience, that they'll store a lot better and a lot longer than flour. That setup also gives you more options for food prep than strict flour.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Welcome to the board Wodan!

Wheat berries and get a grinder. You can plant them as well as eat them. Get some barley and other grains also...

Bulk wheat can be packed into 55 gallon barrels with platic bag liners. Place about a pound of dry ice on a board, when almost evaporated, seal the bag and put the lid on. Can be stored almost indefenently this way.
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 06-04-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks for the replies.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Store both - red wheat berries for long term, flour for more immediate consumption. That's what I do fwiiw.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Thanks again. I've got another question regarding the berries. If those are stored in a mylar bag inside a five gallon bucket - what should I drop in before sealing the bag? An 02 absorber and vacume packing just doesn't seem to be enough, what say you folks?