Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD 65 Question

AMD 65 Question

hello all.
    was considering picking up my first AK and it was a low priced TGI FEG AMD 65 from a online dealer. its a side folder and want to know if this can be converted to wood stock if i dont like the side folder? i would prefer the underfolder but its kinda a $$$ thing.
    help a newb out.
    thanks

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

You can convert the AMD-65 sidefolder to a fixed stock. Unfortunately it is not a simple unbolt and rebolt.

You would have to remove the folding stock rear trunion, and install the rear trunion for a fixed stock. Remember that the rear trunions are riveted in place. Not easy but can be done.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

Ima's advise is sound. There is no EASY way to convert the AMD65 to a fixed stock. IMO it has the worst designed wire folder stock bar none. However, the weapon does grow on one as you use it. You will have to put your jaw bone on the stock to get any kind of head support while looking through the sights. These were orginally made for mechanized unit troops, (APC's and Tanks etc.). I don't know what the Hungarian weapon designers were smoking when they came up with that folder.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

When I first got mine, I hated the side-folding stock, but after shooting it for a while, like Schuetzenman says, it "grows" on you. The only shortcoming I see with the whole setup, on mine, is there's no place to attach a sling. Other than that, I like it.

Nice

Hello
    not easy does not bother me at all but nearly impossible might. i believe from the research i done the amd 65 for 440 bucks is a good deal and a decent shooter.
    I have checked the amd65 out last week at a gun show and it dont seem like it would be much fun with the wire stock but it might work.
    also done some reading about different legal issues and its pretty crazy stuff, if the stock was swapped for wood stock it seems to be no problem correct?
    If it can be done with tools i can probably do it. but if my computer takes a dump im in deep doo doo!
    i have experience with handguns/rifles/shotguns but with all the different AK styles its mind boggling.
    thanks for helpin a noob
    regards

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

To swap it out you will need to drill out the rivets that hold the rear trunion in the receiver. I can't recall if the rivet pattern matches that of a fixed stock trunion. I have built 2 AMD65 rifles and well over a dozen AKM types. Riveting is not easy, do it wrong and the turnion will be loose, or it could just scream amature hour if done poorly. You should try to find an AMD64, this is the fixed stock Hungarian rifle that has a forward grip like the 65 but it has a conventional buttstock made of wood.

My AMD-65 is one of my favorite shooters, and because of that, it has fired well over 10,000 rounds. Funny thing is that I learned long ago how to shoot without that painful sounding cheek weld. I figured if I could shoot a pistol without welding my face to it, I could shoot a rifle the same way, and with the lighter weight of the AMD-65, a good old 100 round drum is pure expensive fun!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    My AMD-65 is one of my favorite shooters, and because of that, it has fired well over 10,000 rounds. Funny thing is that I learned long ago how to shoot without that painful sounding cheek weld. I figured if I could shoot a pistol without welding my face to it, I could shoot a rifle the same way, and with the lighter weight of the AMD-65, a good old 100 round drum is pure expensive fun!
    For some reason my AMD feels like it weighs a ton. It's one of the heaviest-feeling AK's I've ever held. Even my grandson says it's way too heavy for him to hold.

hmmm

I have to call buds tomorrow. it says tgi amd65 but at the top of the page its under century arms catagorie.
    let youall know.
    thanks

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 OzarkRecluse's Avatar

Bud's (and Century) is selling the same TGI AMD-65 that most sites are selling.

my luck

amd 65 came in to the transfer guy yesterday and when i was checking it out the front sight was
    a good quarter inch to the left of center. so bad we just laughed.
    pretty bummed. i didnt accept the gun and buds is going to send another out. hopefully it will be acceptable.
    everything else looked o.k.
    dont know how someone could have no pride in thier work and not even care.
    and so it goes.
    Mike

That sucks but at least you caught it before you bought it.

I agree that it is pretty sad that some people don't care how poorly they assemble something. Sometimes I think pride went out the window along with common sense.

got another

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    That sucks but at least you caught it before you bought it.

I agree that it is pretty sad that some people don't care how poorly they assemble something. Sometimes I think pride went out the window along with common sense.
    well today i picked up the second amd65 buds sent me. it looked pretty good so i accepted it this time. now that i have the gun home and spent some time going over it well the front sight is off to the left somewhat. not as bad as first one.
    i used a piece of thread to make a line from front to rear sight and its not as good as i first thought.
    not sure how this will play out. i know one way to find out.
    its the first ak variant i have had so i dont have experience with this setup. stripping it down it seems pretty simple and i hope it shoots somewhat straight.
    wish me luck
    looks like the front sight screws in and has a pin type top portion. im thinking if its way off i can get a new bolt and create a offset on the pin so i could adjust left to right adjustment with a turn of the screw/bolt sight.
    thanks for any and all info.

There is an attachment that goes onto the wire stock to allow for a cheek weld.

if you did change it to a wood stock if you did get another trunion put in the receiver it will still have a square cut out of it where it folds at the back of the receiver. wouldnt look to great.

Quote Originally Posted by charger0122 View Post
    if you did change it to a wood stock if you did get another trunion put in the receiver it will still have a square cut out of it where it folds at the back of the receiver. wouldnt look to great.
    Good point.
    Johnnie F. - recovering Statist
    ----------------------------------------------
    Have you read TheTruthAboutGuns.com today?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Got a couple and a couple kits... AMDs are a good SECOND or THIRD AK... Hungarians are an acquired taste in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Got a couple and a couple kits... AMDs are a good SECOND or THIRD AK... Hungarians are an acquired taste in my opinion...

This is so true. It never ceases to amaze me how many people cannot shoot a rifle without stuffing their cheek into the stock. One of the reasons I like the AMD-65 is because I learned a long time ago how to shoot a rifle without that painful process of having to weld my cheek to the stock.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

My oddest Hungarian. an AMP69 Grenade Launching AKM:

that thing is badass!
    i didnt really like the folder that much but it grows on you, i have 2 myself.when i built them i put a wood stock on one.left the other a folder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast