Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Square Foot Garden Project

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Talking Square Foot Garden Project

This is working out so well I thought I would make a post about high crop density Square Foot Gardening. I see the ability to raise vegetable crops as a valuable skill set should society break down. If it does, Grocery Stores will be empty in days, not weeks.

The concept was pioneered by a man named Mel Bartholomew. I believe he was first doing these in the 1980's and for a time he had a PBS program called "The Square Foot Gardner", going off of memory so this might not be exact. My wife stumbled onto Square Foot Gardening on the web while researching how to grow veggies in flower pots. We got the books from Mel's web site http://www.squarefootgardening.com/ early last summer. Then based on the information contained in the two books on the subject we planned the bed requirements. It is not overy extensive but does cost a few dollars to get going down this Square Foot Gardening path.

We built the beds and filled them up first of October 2011, planting 1 bed out of the 3 beds for some Winter Crops. Living in Georgia it is possible to grow veggies through the winter. Winter crops are; Cabbage, lettuce, Onions, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, (though we didn't get any off the plants until March). Beets and Radishes can also be planted.

Here are the beds just after filling with nothing planted.

I've posted this image before, this is the first planting of our winter crops.

The Winter Crops nearing maturity. This is January people. The white rods are PVC Pipe, 1/2" size by 8' bent over and poked in the bed soil. Covering is on the ground and made of Polyethylene. This is draped over the frame to make a mini green house to help hold in heat and keep frost off the plants.

This is March and I am bending 1/2" conduit to build trelis frames for vining crops like; Pole Beans, Cuccumbers, Tomatoes of certain types, Squash and Cantelope Melons. The green in the first bed planted are Beets that are about ready to harvest at this time.

Here I am installing the finished Trelis frames. This one is a 4' tall section for Bush type tomatoes and Pepper plants. 1/2" rebar by at leat 2 feet length is driven in the ground and then the Conduit is slipped over the rebar. The tall ones are 8' tall and are made from 10' lengths of Conduit. They are joined in the middle with a coupler. Nylon netting just for plant growing is then fed over the upright sections and tied to the top of the treils frame. The openings are about 4" square in the netting so you can reach through to pick the mature vegetables.

Now here is the same bed where I installed the trelis frames just 2 months later. That thicket is composed of; Cylindra beets in the front down low. Left side with the yellow flowers just about top of the wire fencing level are Poona Kheera Cuccumber plants from India, they handle high heat very well. Immediatley behind them are Mosaic Chinese Long beans that will have bean pods about 18" in length and they will be pink in color. Behind those are your basic Green Bean of American type. Beyond those are Jalapenos, Yellow and Green Bell pepper plants, Floridade (a round determinate species of tomatoe from Dade County FL) and Almish Paste Roma type tomatoes. The Almish Paste is supposed to make Romas that are about 3x bigger than typical Roma tomatoes.

These are Spaghetti Squash, a type of what's called Winter Squash, very similar to a Pumpkin in nature, shaped like them too. Only these are yellow and don't get more than 4 or 5 Lbs. When cooked the insides below the outer skin can be flaked into pasta like strings and spaghetti sauce put on them. A very healthy and tasety substitute for the starchy flowered pasta noodles. We have about 7 that are bigger than a large Idaho spud on the plants at the moment. They get about 25% bigger every day it seems if I water them or it rains. Should have the first ripe ones in mid June according to the information on maturity time in days.

This photo is the opposite side of the trelis that holds the Spaghetti Squash. These are two types of Carrots; one has a red skin named Atomic Red and the other is from North Africa, named Muscade species. What isn't real obvious are the Cantelope plants. They are growing to the right side of the bed and are to go up the trelis on that side. I only have one that is of any plant size and it's merly 2 feet in length. It seems they like really warm weather so until June gets here I don't expect to seem them get very big in size let alone make a melon.

Now for a bit of harvest, not much yet but yesterday I found the first two mature Green Beans and I picked one of the Indian Poona Kherra Cuccumbers this evening. We ate in slices, (me and the wife). It was very tastey, crunchy and sweet, not bitter or tough skin. These get 4 to 5" long and are pale yellow green to white in color. As they mature they turn brown colored.

Now I just need about 2 or 3 hundred more to go with this one.

2 days ago this thing was the size of a small coctail weaner, fast maturing it seems!

Last image, the first to appear Spaghetti Squash. This photo is 1 day old and it is already 25% or more bigger than shown here.

Well there it is, Square Foot Gardening, it works and it works damn well. BTW, that isn't dirt they are growing in. The soil in the beds is a mix of 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 compost. The compost is made up of commercial composts of 3 or more variety / sources. I used Cow Manuer compost, Mushroom compost and Chicken poop compost aslo some made from leaves and sticks it seems. I'm constantly finding small twigs floating to the surface. Well enough for now. Give it a try.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 05-25-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Excellent post and very interesting. Thanks for sharing. My wife and I have talked about doing some container plants on the patio. This might be something else we could do.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Notice the proximity of the Square Foot beds to my patio slab. They butt right up to it for a reason, ease of getting to them for watering, weeding and picking ripe veggies. This is actually part of the Mel philosophy of doing the Sq Ft beds. By putting them close by instead of way off at the back of your property it makes for easy oversight and maintenance.

Notice how I have stepping stones down around all the beds, this is so I can walk out to and around each bed without getting my feet wet in dew covered or rained on grass.
    More info about the beds, the basic bed is a 4x4 foot box only 6 to 7 inches deep. This is all the soil needed to raise crops according to the inventor of this concept. For Carrots I think the beds could stand to be 10 to 12" deep and if you notice I do have one 4x4 that is double depth and that's where I planted this root crop.

The reason for the 4x4 dimension is that people can reach easily about 2 feet over a bed, so the 4 foot size makes it to where one can reach the middle of the bed from any side. This prevents the need to step into the bed, and not stepping on the soil means never needing to rotortill the soil as it does not get compacted by being walked on.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 05-24-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question

What made you choose some of the more exotic varieties of plants? Were you looking for something different or where there particular traits or qualities that you were wanting?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    What made you choose some of the more exotic varieties of plants? Were you looking for something different or where there particular traits or qualities that you were wanting?
    First let me say these are all Heirloom crops, meaning they are genetically stable unlike hybrids. I can save the seeds from this years vegs and replant them next year and get the same plants as I originally planted. On exotic, yeah to a degree I was looking for "something Different" the Long Chinese Mossaic Bean is definitely in this catagory. The Spaghetti squash we eat off and on when we can find them for a less than bend you over price. I thought it would be nice to grow our own. Being a Winter Squash variety it should keep well in storage if kept cool and dry, to last into the Winter months. Cylindra beets aren't round, they are instead more like a big carrott and as such they produce many uniform slices if you want to can them, which we will do. The original beet crop from last October harvested in early March went into Mason Jars. We had a Pint of them last night with some grilled butterfly porkchops.

The corn is an heirloom crop from Alabama, so I am picking many of them for their native ability to stand heat. China is pretty hot and the Chinese beans also have a level of genetic heat resistance. The Poona Kheera Cuccumbers are definitely selected for their ability to stay producing through 100+ degree heat. They look like they should make a good dill pickle all be it yellow in color vs. the traditional dark green. The North African carrot the Muscade is also selected for heat resistance, it is also rated as very good in taste by people that have grown it.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 05-24-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Very nice work! Makes my efforts seem very humble. I'm just doing some tomatoes upside down from buckets hung on the deck. In the tops of the buckets are radishes, chives, basil and cilantro. I have some jalapenos sprouted that I am trying to decide what to do with. I'm thinking maybe these will go into the ground, they need lots of sun.

Great looking garden Scheutz!

Ours is very much behind this year, due to lack of funds (yes we po).

So far we have 4 jalapeno plants, 4 large bell pepper plants, some sweet onions, cilantro, basil, stripey tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. We grow the herbs in a window box and the vegetables in two 3'x6' raised beds I made in the back yard last year.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Great garden Schuetz! Thanks for sharing this.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I ran across this video on youtube. I thought about trying this self-watering container garden myself.

Looks great Shutz! I've been very late in getting the garden in this year. I built an enclosure for my neibore and expanded my enclosure before actually getting started. In addition to the 2x10 bead and self watering containers from last year I've added:

3x12 bed
    2x12 bed
    2 2x2 beds for artichokes
    3x4 bed for asperagus

I'm also doing some spegety squash this year, and some honeydue.

Good luck with your garden this year!!!
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

To Ten-32 that's a nice way of gardening for minimal cost. You just need to thin out those Radish plants if you want any root on those tops. 3 or 4 seasons ago we had a Topsy Turvey and 2, one gallon sized plastic flower pots we grew some tomatoes in. From there we expanded to a bunch of pots. Eventually, last year we evolved into the current set up.

It's kind of addicting, I want to build at least 1 more 4 x 8 bed and possibly another one as well. The wife is putting the brakes on, but I've got the bug. I want to grow more variety than we have space for.

To L1A1Rocker, Asparagus is one of the items I'd like to plant but don't want to give up bed space for. In other words one of the crops I'd like to build the extra beds to hold. Plus 3 years for them to really get good for harvesting. Long term project they are.

To Viking350, no problem. I ejoyed the video, definitely a nice way to do it in buckets or flower pots.

To Today Solidus-snake, I'm not a rich guy either. We bought the stuff for the beds a little bit at a time from June I think it was until October, one of the reasons I got such a late start on the winter crops. Normally they should go in mid to late August at the latest. If I had then I'd of been harvesting in December to Jan. Because of the late start it was late Jan to March.

Exclamation

Went out this morning to water the beds before work. Going to be a hot one today. While watering the Indian Poona Kheera Cucumbers I see this one! This is all wrong, Poonas are yellow to white and turn light brown as they get old. This one is GREEN, not a color they are supposed to be. I think I have a Mutant!

The Mutant!

Typical Poohan Kheera appearance.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 05-25-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Nice post w/ great pics.

My wife and I started doing a square foot garden this spring, albeit on a smaller scale. We planted several different kinds of lettuce, carrots, cukes, and tomatoes. Also put in some pumpkins and sunflowers, though those aren't planted in boxes. So far we've been harvesting the tasty lettuce, everything else is a little further behind.

We bought those nice 4x4 cedar planting boxes at our nearby Home Depot.
    Last edited by mrkalashnikov; 05-25-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    To Ten-32 that's a nice way of gardening for minimal cost. You just need to thin out those Radish plants if you want any root on those tops. 3 or 4 seasons ago we had a Topsy Turvey and 2, one gallon sized plastic flower pots we grew some tomatoes in. From there we expanded to a bunch of pots. Eventually, last year we evolved into the current set up.

It's kind of addicting, I want to build at least 1 more 4 x 8 bed and possibly another one as well. The wife is putting the brakes on, but I've got the bug. I want to grow more variety than we have space for.
    Well, I am a total noob, so I appreciate your advice. I really like your set up and maybe mine will evolve. Please keep us posted on how things go...

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Went out this morning to water the beds before work. Going to be a hot one today. While watering the Indian Poona Kheera Cucumbers I see this one! This is all wrong, Poonas are yellow to white and turn light brown as they get old. This one is GREEN, not a color they are supposed to be. I think I have a Mutant!

The Mutant!

Typical Poohan Kheera appearance.
    uh oh, dont think it was a different breed of the vegetable do you?

My father in law owns a greenhouse and its crazy all the breeds of plants they create or find out about.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    uh oh, dont think it was a different breed of the vegetable do you?

My father in law owns a greenhouse and its crazy all the breeds of plants they create or find out about.
    Well it's like this I only bought the Poona Kheera cucumber seeds. I planted 3 seeds, all came up and there are multiple cucumbers on the vines. They are so tangled, I haven't been able to figure out which plant it is on. It has the right shape, but is not even close to the right color. Time will tell as the vine it's on should have other cucumbers developing shortly, it has the small female flowers with the mini pickle behind it so these develop into the cucumbers.

If it is a stabil variant and green, I could have something worth marketing.

this might just be the most super, awesome thread ever posted on the survival forum

keep up the great work and the wonderful pics

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    this might just be the most super, awesome thread ever posted on the survival forum

keep up the great work and the wonderful pics
    Gee thanks! Developments almost daily on these crops. Pulled 6 Cylindra beets and boiled them up for dinner. These things are so sweet, like they were dipped in sugar. I know I'm not bothering with any other beet from now on.

The proof is in, the big green Poona Kheera Cucumber is turning Brown as the normal yellow to white colored ones do!

Normal color Poon, a yellow one, color shifting to brown / orange color.

First Green Pole Bean harvest of 2012 today on Memorial day. Right at 1 LB. of mature pods, many many more still on the vines but too small to pick.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Good job all the way around! Although, I don't know if I'd post a pic of me holding my pickle and then measuring it... on this board

Now you need to get the canning stuff and get that going
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast