Thread: Stuck Hakim

Stuck Hakim

Hello all,
    I have a 1953 Egyptian made Hakim designated marksman rifle. I am unsure how familiar you all are but it is a semi auto marksman rifle made for desert combat based on a swedish(I thinK) and German design from the post WWII world. It fires the 7.92X57 round aka 8mm Mauser. I have been told that in the hieght of production not every one rifle had the same "roominess" in the chamber. Only certain ammo works. I recently tried to ease my wallet and used cheaper ammo. the ammo didnt fit although I did all the research. The round separated and I have gun powder everywhere. I thought I cleaned it up and resumed function tests and now the bolt/boltcarrier/dust cover is stuck forward. I dont know if its a simple fix and try to do most maintenence myself. Please advise, Thank you!
    -Michael

Stuck forward.

IS the safety on?
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I've owned the original Swedish AG42B Ljungman rifle in 6.5x55. I have briefly owned Hakim rifles and resold them. They are direct impingment designs using gas to blow the bolt group open. If you've locked it up with powder granuals there isn't much recourse other than to get some kind of soft yet hard hammer and beating it open. As mentioned you might want to check the safety orientation just to eliminate that aspect.

What surplus ammo did you get, Romanian or Czech?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Did the same... Stuck a case in the chamber. Used a rubber mallet to open and a steel cleaning rod to drive the case out. This can be caused by not setting the gas system right I found out. The combination of hot surplus MG ammo and the gas system set on low power ammo can cause the action to open too soon while the gas pressure is still up. In my instance the extractor pulled through the case base.

Thanks for the input... I wasnt firing it I was just doing a function test by operating the action by hand. A round is not currently stuck but cleared and when I when to open the action again (by pushing the bolt carrier/dust cover forward and pulling back) After it went forward it will no longer coming back to inspect the chamber. Unsure of the country of origin on the ammo, suspected post WWII 8mm factory ammo. One ammo type present a possible ammo issue, another presents a possible rifle issue... My one concern is that official (new) federal US factory ammo works fine but other ammo doesnt. This rifle is a second generation rifle and important to me... I could take a rubber mallet to it but am leary as it is a C&R graded rifle. I'll try to fuss with it a bit. I appreciate all input and welcome more! Happy hunting and safe shooting all!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

WWII German is normally pretty hot ammo. The corrosive primers can get hotter with age. That is the ammo I had a problem with.

One of the few I had would only run 100% if you lubed the chamber with Mil-tec.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!