Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolf ammo sucks ass.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Wolf ammo sucks ass.

Last time I buy wolf .223 polymer case Constant failure to feed in my AR18, constant stuck case in the chamber on my Armalite AR15. Had to drive the case out with a cleaning rod. Switched to brass case both ran flawlessly.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Sounds like someone else here I remember saying that current Wolf polymer .223 sucks... Oh wait, that was me!!! I have three cases of Wolf .223 polymer that is sitting in my basement, never to be used by me.

People used to complain about the mess that lacquer coated ammo caused, but those rounds never glued themselves into the chambers.

I take a 20 inch cleaning rod with me to the range now to knock out the lacquer coated junk so that I can at least try to get rid of some.

To verify the ammo problem, I had a friend catch the polymer coated empties coming out of my SAR-3, a previously 100% reliable rifle using any Russian junk ammo that was lacquer coated. After about 20 rounds he reported the coating looked like it was smearing. A couple rounds later, one glued itself in the barrel.

My future son-in-law unfortunately is the one who purchased 4000 rounds of Wolf .223 in both 62 grain and 55 grain after hearing that it was ok to shoot steel case ammo from his M4gery. I don't know how he managed to get 300 or so through, considering how many times we had to "rod out" an empty shell, but I really feel sorry for him, since he bought the ammo on an air base (he is Air Force) and I wished he called me first because he paid too much.

So now three full cases and one open sit in my basement, waiting for the prices to even out again so that I can unload the Wolf .223 polymer coated steel case ammo that will not feed through his M4gery or my SAR-3 or Norinco 84S-1 either.

Brass or lacquer, you can keep this polymer crap.

How do you think it would shoot out of a Century C93?
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    I have no experience with 5.56 HK style roller lock weapons, but in general blowback rifles prefer brass cased in order to better seal the gasses in until the bolt is ready to unlock. The brass provides the better seal because of its ability to expand and fill the chamber.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I have no experience with 5.56 HK style roller lock weapons, but in general blowback rifles prefer brass cased in order to better seal the gasses in until the bolt is ready to unlock. The brass provides the better seal because of its ability to expand and fill the chamber.
    Hmm, I had heard that steel cased was sometimes prefered by some in the CETME's because there had been reports of the pressure ripping brass cased ammo.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Hmm, I had heard that steel cased was sometimes prefered by some in the CETME's because there had been reports of the pressure ripping brass cased ammo.
    Maybe so. I sold my CETME because it sucked at being a bolt action rifle (didn't cycle).
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Crap, bought a 1,000 for the Zompocalypse, food riots, race wars or whatever the disaster that was going to get me. They're for a Mini-14. Really hope my cheap shit ammo shoots out of my cheap shit rifle or I might have to switch to my AKs. It will rub against my patriotic grain, American criminals deserve to be shot with American rifles even if it's with Russian bullets.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Exclamation

This is not the first time I have heard this. Wolf and Russian Ammo in General is meant to be in 7.62x39mm, 7.62Nato .9mm, 45ACP, ect. I have never!!!! had a problem with any Russian non Corrosive new Ammo I have bought in 7.62x39mm or 7.62x54R or any other Caliber. The Russian's for some reason cannot make that lousy little Caliber I cant really imanage why, because they make 5.45x39mm not that much difference. but as I would never own anything in that Caliber, I cant really say. I pray I see the M-16 Series leave our Armed Forces in my Lifetime! why do you think both our Army and the Brit's had to make a special Rifle in 7.62NATO? The M-16 was not cutting it! I am glad to see the beloved M-14 still serves on to this day!!!

Actually I think the reason the polymer works in other calibers and not the .223 is because of the shape of the case. Lots of grip surface in a narrow diameter on the .223.

Just wonder if it would work better in a piston gun like my Sig 556 which is basically an AK.
    No heat, gases going back to the receiver.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    the hk33 is not a blowback. none of the hk rifle series are. they are roller delayed. they work by the cases NOT sealing against the chamber. if you do your research into the platform, youll hear talkes about how shitty the ptr rifles are, because they had a batch of barrels get onto their rifles where the flutes were not deep enough, ergo, the rounds WERE sealing in the chamber, and they didnt function for shit.

i would think that these would work well in the hk33, i think it would be hard to get the laquer (or polymer, whatever) to stick a case given the small surface are that is actually the chamber.

I was thinking that they might work in the fluted chambers of an H&K, but not going to buy one just to find out that am I still stuck with a ton of useless ammo if the H&K don't eject either.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I was thinking that they might work in the fluted chambers of an H&K, but not going to buy one just to find out that am I still stuck with a ton of useless ammo if the H&K don't eject either.
    if you buy a 223 hk and the ammo dosent work, ill take the hk off your hands for you for 1/2 what you paid, so it wont be a total loss

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    if you buy a 223 hk and the ammo dosent work, ill take the hk off your hands for you for 1/2 what you paid, so it wont be a total loss
    So nice to know I have "friends".

the hk33 is not a blowback. none of the hk rifle series are. they are roller delayed. they work by the cases NOT sealing against the chamber. if you do your research into the platform, youll hear talkes about how shitty the ptr rifles are, because they had a batch of barrels get onto their rifles where the flutes were not deep enough, ergo, the rounds WERE sealing in the chamber, and they didnt function for shit.

i would think that these would work well in the hk33, i think it would be hard to get the laquer (or polymer, whatever) to stick a case given the small surface are that is actually the chamber.
    Thank you for the clarification.

Now that I think about it more, all blowback probably work better with a less expansive case. I think I was getting steel and aluminum mixed up as to which one doesn't cycle in blowbacks (aluminum expands too much). Maybe that'll teach me to think first and type later.

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Wow, Wolf used to be good ammo, what happened?
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

I should've brought that and the SAR3 to test.... Maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Sounds like someone else here I remember saying that current Wolf polymer .223 sucks... Oh wait, that was me!!! I have three cases of Wolf .223 polymer that is sitting in my basement, never to be used by me.

People used to complain about the mess that lacquer coated ammo caused, but those rounds never glued themselves into the chambers.

I take a 20 inch cleaning rod with me to the range now to knock out the lacquer coated junk so that I can at least try to get rid of some.

To verify the ammo problem, I had a friend catch the polymer coated empties coming out of my SAR-3, a previously 100% reliable rifle using any Russian junk ammo that was lacquer coated. After about 20 rounds he reported the coating looked like it was smearing. A couple rounds later, one glued itself in the barrel.

My future son-in-law unfortunately is the one who purchased 4000 rounds of Wolf .223 in both 62 grain and 55 grain after hearing that it was ok to shoot steel case ammo from his M4gery. I don't know how he managed to get 300 or so through, considering how many times we had to "rod out" an empty shell, but I really feel sorry for him, since he bought the ammo on an air base (he is Air Force) and I wished he called me first because he paid too much.

So now three full cases and one open sit in my basement, waiting for the prices to even out again so that I can unload the Wolf .223 polymer coated steel case ammo that will not feed through his M4gery or my SAR-3 or Norinco 84S-1 either.

Brass or lacquer, you can keep this polymer crap.
    I had no problem with 7.62x39 lacquer out of the Yugo krink. Flawless. and accurate.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

the hk33 is not a blowback. none of the hk rifle series are. they are roller delayed. .
    Roller delayed blow back. It is blow back but not plain blow back like a .45 auto 1911 handgun. There is no gas impingment, there is no gas piston. The case is shoving the bolt back and the rollers prevent it from moving freely (the bolt) at recoil speed until they fold into the bolt head and release the trunion. Owned a CETME, owned a Century G3 Clone. Believe it or not both weapons shot excellent for what they were and as long as full power ammo was used in them like Porturguese or FN 7.62 Nato they ran like tops.

Some sad trivia about those two weapons; the G3 I sold to Salbo, the CETME I sold to Zouave, both are passed away.

I don't buy polymer ammo. But thanks for the warning should I be tempted.

Anybody shoot russian steel cased ammo out of their ARs?

I hear Mini-14s eat it up like candy, at least the newest models.

But that some ARs like the steel, while others don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast