Thread: Vepr bug bit HARD!

Vepr bug bit HARD!

Big fan of Gabe Suarez and had been following his Universal rifle project with some interest. Decided to go my own route and build it up myself. Was really surprised when his project was cancelled quickly and suddenly with no explanation and when inquired on Warriortalk forum was "banned for life"? WTF!

Anyway that "universal" project to me had great merit and I continued plodding on with the 16.5 inch , .308. What a sweet baby she is!

Installing TWS parts, great items, poor customer service.

The Vepr indeed is the Cadillac of the demon AK's. lol

Son's birthday came up, gave him his first ever rifle with the Vepr 223, never saw his smile so big! Feels so good to give something so important and well received! He definitely will remember this birthday for the rest of his life.

I couldn't stop there now having the .308 and the .223 in the family so I up and ordered from a hell of a guy, Mike Smith of "Arms of America" the other three-762x54r, 762x39 an the 5.45. NOW I HAVE THE WHOLE FAMILY! By the way all but the 54r were the 16.5 barrel and the 54r was the 23.5 barrel.

So now I'm in hog heaven with my Russian harem and my wife wants to drag my ass into divorce court for spending so much money. Let her, I'd rather have my Vepr girls, they don't argue or talk back but when they speak it is with love and authority!!!

What kind of ammo has everybody been using, brand and price & distributer?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

Hi welcom to Gunsnet. Gabe is a convicted felon, he can not own weapons. This is the Oxymoron of Gabe Swarez and how he does mind games to get followers. Your question got you banned because it shakes the house of cards.

Now back to the Vepr rifles. I read you have acquired 1 of every chambering they sell, nice collectiion but IMO it would of been better to get 2 of everything so that you have a back up weapon that could donate parts or replace the one that went down should it go down. Also you would require 1/2 the magazines to support them and could also focus your ammo purchases to have more ammo in 2 calibers than you will have to suppport each of 4 differeent caliber weapons.

The concept of a Universal Rifle is ... IMO not really achievable in reality. Short barrels dump tons of bullet speed and energy. That also results in massive muzzle flash and boom compared to a longer barreled rifle in the same caliber. Been there, Done that.

I have my shorter barreled weapons, (300 meters or less) but I also have my longer barreled weapons for long range, (400 meters on out).

Congrats on the Vepr weapons, I'm sure they will be very enjoyable to shoot and reliable if provided with quality magaines.

On ammo, I've run the spectrum in all those calibers. I use to be a 01 FFL dealer and sold a lot of ammo from new manufactured to surplus. Of Russian brands for 7.62x39 I recommend Silver Bear, Brown Bear and especially Tiger or Ulyanovsk arsenal ammo. For 5.45x39 Russian Surplus which is corrosive is your bost accurate choice. Of the new made 5.45x39 the Ulyanovsk arsenal made the best but good luck finding any, Silver Bear or Brown Bear once again follow up as choices. For .308 Portuguese, FN Herstal, DAG or South African Surplus are the best in that order of best down in accuracy and power. However, good luck finding those, havent' seen any in quite a while. Any 7.62 NATO surplus should be good. Privi brand is weak in all chamberings, not enough powder in the cases. .223 / 5.56 NATO Most of the M855 62 gr. green tipped is going to be quality. Russian made ammo in .308 or .223 is poor in accuracy. Silver Bear is the least poor in accuracy in these two chamberings, they at least group all be it loosely. Other brands pattern like a shot gun. Enjoy the weapons.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-23-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Its like a turd that won't flush.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
    Big fan of Gabe Suarez and had been following his Universal rifle project with some interest. Decided to go my own route and build it up myself. Was really surprised when his project was cancelled quickly and suddenly with no explanation and when inquired on Warriortalk forum was "banned for life"? WTF!

Anyway that "universal" project to me had great merit and I continued plodding on with the 16.5 inch , .308. What a sweet baby she is!

Son's birthday came up, gave him his first ever rifle with the Vepr 223, never saw his smile so big! Feels so good to give something so important and well received! He definitely will remember this birthday for the rest of his life.

I couldn't stop there now having the .308 and the .223 in the family so I up and ordered from a hell of a guy, Mike Smith of "Arms of America" the other three-762x54r, 762x39 an the 5.45. NOW I HAVE THE WHOLE FAMILY! By the way all but the 54r were the 16.5 barrel and the 54r was the 23.5 barrel.

So now I'm in hog heaven with my Russian harem and my wife wants to drag my ass into divorce court for spending so much money. Let her, I'd rather have my Vepr girls, they don't argue or talk back but when they speak it is with love and authority!!!

Welcome and congratulations on your new addiction!! I've been eyeing the 7.62x54r model myself and I'm just waiting to see if the price will drop some before actually getting one. Would love to hear some range reports on it and the other models as well.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I shoot a fair amount of brown bear FMJ in .308 the last couple cases seemed to be decently accurate. You want the lighter rounds as the Russian barrels seem to stabilize them the best.

To me the point of these rifles is the ability to shoot steel case ammo well, which makes it affordable to target shoot with them.

PS I'm the maker of the "brand X" mags. Csspecs mags.

Yeah, they'll do that over there. My guess is the project probably got cancelled on account of Gabe's history and reputation. That's exactly the type of thing they wold rather lose a loyal member over than admit to.

Welcom to gunsnet! Where you won't get banned for asking about guns.