Thread: VEPR basic Hi-cap conversion

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

VEPR basic Hi-cap conversion

Hey guys. I saw this at Classic Arms and thought ya'll might like it. It looks a bit classier than the other conversions I've seen, with less emphasis on giving it an AKM look.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-...i-auto-rifle-1
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Hey guys. I saw this at Classic Arms and thought ya'll might like it. It looks a bit classier than the other conversions I've seen, with less emphasis on giving it an AKM look.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-...i-auto-rifle-1
    Nice lookin! Ditch the thumbhole stock and put on match buttstock and pistol grip. I'd like one in both 5.56 and 7.62x39.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I didn't see a converted 5.56, but I did see they had a converted 5.45.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

You can mod your Vepr yourself, at home. Simple bullet guide from Carolina Shooter Supply or Dinzag and file down the magazine release. Be WARNED! That damn trunnion is much thicker than a Saiga and you will break off the tap if you're not very careful. I wasn't and had to go to a friend with a Bridgeport and use a back-out. Also, only file that magazine release down a little at a time, just until it clicks or your mags will wobble. I did that right. I bought about 6 Tapco 20 round mags for it. They look more "right" with the walnut stock Vepr and fit one box of ammo. I also sanded down the totally shitty factory finish and used Tru-Oil to refinish it - probably 25 very very thin coats with a steel wool buff every 5 or so. Took forever but the rifle glows now.