Thread: So how does one get to the reciol spring on a Brit L1A1?

Question So how does one get to the reciol spring on a Brit L1A1?

So I was thinking it might be wise to get around to taking a look at the reciol spring in the but stock on my L1A1. The problem is I can't seem to figure out how to get it out. Is there some trick?

The first thing I did was unscrew the screw on the rear of the stock. Though the hole I can see where the recoil spring is. The problem is with only that screw removed the whole is to small to get the whole the reciol spring removal tool in there. I can get the skinny part in but not the rest.

So I figured I would take off the put pad. You can in theory change those out for different lengths of pull. I say in theory becasue I can't get mine off...

Ok so I figured perhaps if I undo that one screw and the one that connects the but to the reciver is can take off the whole but stock then get to the reciol spring.

No such luck even with those two screws off I can get this figured out. So I figure at this point I am missing something so I should ask before I break something.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

There is a long bolt that threads through a buffer tube nut. If you take out the long bolt, (item 95 on the diagram) you can see through a hole in the bolt, (item 94 in the diagram). The bolt head is slotted, the buffer tube spring tool has two blades that go in the slots, like a spanner wrench.

In point, the L1A1 is no different than a metric FN FAL with respect to taking off the the buttstock and taking out the buffer spring. I think from your description you've taken out the bolt but not taken out the nut.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-28-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Here you go a better image from Gunthings.com They call it the Buttstock Bolt, I was calling it a nut but OK Bolt it is.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    There is a special tool you can buy to help in removing and reinstalling that spring.

A word of warning, you can unscrew the nut without the tool, but make sure you have a flight plan filed as that spring is under tremendous pressure and if you get in it's way, it can do serious damage.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    There is a special tool you can buy to help in removing and reinstalling that spring.

A word of warning, you can unscrew the nut without the tool, but make sure you have a flight plan filed as that spring is under tremendous pressure and if you get in it's way, it can do serious damage.
    Good point nut to mention that. That sucker will take your freaking eye out! Seriously it will, so when removing that second bolt that retains the buffer spring if not using the T shaped buffer tube wrench designed to do the job, one needs to hang on to the large screw driver. Really you need to hang on to the T shaped buffer spring remover tool as well. It can launch that out of your hand as well. Seen it done, nearly did it myself the first time I took one out.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Ok, the story behind mine launch episode. After buying my STG-58 and seeing how much work it needed to make it something I would be proud of, I wanted to do an almost 100% disassembly and cleanup.

Lucky for me when I removed the slotted nut that held the spring, I had the rifle pointed away from me. I was in my garage, and watching a news special that came on (funny how we remember things like this) and the next thing I knew, the very large screwdriver was knocked out of my hands, and the spring launched into the house, landing in front of the TV a full 60 feet from where I was standing. Glad it went into the house and not out.

I now have the special tool that I bought from Tapco. And the funny thing is since that happened, I have not needed to take that spring out, and hopefully never will.

Use this link just to see what the tool looks like: http://shop.ernstarmory.com/product....&categoryId=18

The picture is horrible, the tool is actually very straight and smooth sided, not serrated as the photo makes it look.

Thanks fot the help so far. I do have the but stcok removal tool for the spring. The problem I am having is I can't get to the bolt stock bolt, looks like number 94.

I can get the first screw out just fine, part 96 I think it is. The problem would be part 100 blocks acsess to part 94. I can't seem to figure out how to get to it with out removing it or the whole but stock. Both of which seem to be stuck.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

First FAL spring i took out the thing stuck in the drywall.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Thanks fot the help so far. I do have the but stcok removal tool for the spring. The problem I am having is I can't get to the bolt stock bolt, looks like number 94.

I can get the first screw out just fine, part 96 I think it is. The problem would be part 100 blocks acsess to part 94. I can't seem to figure out how to get to it with out removing it or the whole but stock. Both of which seem to be stuck.
    Part 100! Well that's the buttplate. It should just lift off after the bolt 96 is removed. If that's stuck it's probably just old stock finish sort of gluing it on. Do you have a hard rubber hammer or other dead-blow type hammer, if so give it a couple of whacks to break it loose. BTW do you have a wood stock with metal buttp late or a synthetic stock with rubber buttplate?

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

what really sucks is when the buttplate screw seizes in the spring retaining bolt. your not expecting the buttpad to fly across the room when your loosening it.

ive also had all 3 seized together to where i had to pull the tube out of the stock with the both bolts attached.

sounds like you have it pretty easy so far. like schuets said, sounds like your pad is just stuck, give it a good whack.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Part 100! Well that's the buttplate. It should just lift off after the bolt 96 is removed. If that's stuck it's probably just old stock finish sort of gluing it on. Do you have a hard rubber hammer or other dead-blow type hammer, if so give it a couple of whacks to break it loose. BTW do you have a wood stock with metal buttp late or a synthetic stock with rubber buttplate?
    Thanks for the tip. I will have to give this a try. once I get a rubber hammer. I have the later style black synthetic stock on my brit one with a hard plastic but plate. On my Aussie one it is wood. As far as I know all the Australian ones had wood stocks. Though I have heard that some Kiwi ones had synthetic furniture, as far as I know all the Kiwi SLRs came from Lithgow. Never seen a picture of a Kiwi one with plastic furniture though.

Maybe I will try some WD-40 to losen it up. I don't usally use it on fire arms but for the end of the but stock I think I would be ok.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..