Thread: which garand?

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

which garand?

springfield or h&r?

no concern at all about collector value, just quality of manufacture for a good shooter.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Are you talking about one from the CMP? As I understand it the H&R models were made in the early to mid 1950's. If nothing else getting one of those might mean better condition since they didn't go through WWII and should/might have been through fewer rebuilds. Seems like of the posts I've seen the H&R rifles folks are getting tend to have more like new or at least excellent condition rifles than say, SA or Winchester.

Quality wise I'd say they are all built to pretty much the same standard and none of them is going to shoot poorly unless it has bad parts. On the flip side, none will likely shoot to their full potential without some tweaking. I've had two SA from the CMP, one rack grade from Denmark with a VAR barrel and on field grade. Both were in better shape then I expected and neither one had any function issues at all.

I've been thinking about getting another one since both of those have been sold and I'm considering the service grade H&R for $625.00
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

H&R is Korean war vintage and built closer to a sporting rifle with respect to metal finish, probably the best M1's built. However there is no guarantee that it will shoot any better than any Springfield given these conditions; throat and muzzle wear, bedding in the stock, fit of the gas tube / front sight base in the spline ways of the barrel, op-rod rubbing on the stock or barrel at various spots. These can be good or bad on any given M1 Garand rifle as they are all mix-masters because of ordnance handling practices. The armorers would take all the weapons apart and put all the trigger groups in one box or pile, op-rods in another pile, handguards in yet another pile, stocks, gas tube / front sights in another and no care was exercised to match up parts for reassembly.

So what I'm saying is there is NO way to make a difinitive statement that Garand S is going to shoot better than Garand H&R, etc. If you can find out the throat and muzzle erosion stats, pick the one that is closest to a 0 or 1. The higher the number the more worn out the barrel is. That is the best overall advise I can give you. Things like looseness of the gas tube / front sight can be corrected after you get the weapon. Op-rods that rub can be tweaked / bent to not rub and fit of receiver to stock can be bedded to take out the slop. One can do all that but if the barrel is a 5 at the throat and at the muzzle, don't expect much accuracy.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 07-21-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

If you are going through CMP, which I recommend, go with the least expensive Service Grade. The reason I don't mention manufacture is that these rifles have been rebuilt many times and are no longer a true H&R, Springfield, etc. My H&R is only and H&R reciever, all other mechanical parts are Springfield. The wood appears to be original, but it is not a "Correct Grade" where the SNs on all parts match, but it still shoots reliably and accurately.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

yes, i was looking at the cmp. i am looking at the service grade for $625, both the h&r and the sa are the same price.

i chose the service grade because, unlike the rack and field grades, the barrel is guaranteed to be within service limits. imo, getting one with a "good" barrel is better than getting one with a barrel that is shot out and having to change it, especially for the few $$ they want for the upgrade.

so i guess the general consensus is that the h&r would be the better choice due to the newer manufacture and better finish? all else being equal, and seeing as i cant check all the things schutz mentioned since it will be sight unseen.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

The other nice thing about the Service Grade is the barrel. As you point out the barrel is within service limits, and usually well inside service limits. Mine gages well under a 3 (using the scientific bullet gage since I don't have a real one). With open sights at 100 yards I am keeping my groups within about 4", which I consider to be pretty good for as often as I shoot and given that I am using mil-surplus ammo. I thought the Service Grade was the right amount of money for the peace of mind that comes with knowing I will never, and my children will never, have to do any major work to keep that rifle functional and accurate.

Now, quit asking questions and buy one!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

lol, im trying!!

its going to be about a month (2 pay periods) yet till i get the needed surplus funds in my checking account to send the money out (it was going to be next check, but i was hit with a surprise house insurance payment). right now im gathering up all the other needed documentation i need. have to wait for a new certified copy of my birth certificate to come from the state. other than that, im pretty sure ive got all my ducks in a row.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I bought my 1943 M1 Springfield less than a year ago. I decided I wanted a WWII-vintage Garand to add to my collection of WWII shooters. I also liked the idea of getting an M1 from the factory where John Garand designed & implemented the greatest battle rifle of the 20th century.

It shoots like a dream....Piiingg!

ive gotten everything filled out and all of my proverbial ducks are in a row as it were. come monday, when our secretary gets back from vacation, i will have her notarize the form, which will be the last piece to the puzzle.

btw, someone said they come fed ex?? please tell me they come fed ex air?? i know the delivery girl that does fed ex air and shes a great girl, they guy that does the ground deliveries in this are is a fucking piece of shit lying dirt ball, and a convicted thief.

Its a flip of the coin, a Service Grade is a Service Grade
    It is possible that the HRA rifle you order wil have a mixture of SA WWII parts but many are coming with mostly HRA. More than likely the SA will also be mostly Post War parts but "can" be a mixture of WWII
    Parts wear will have nothing to do with manufacture
    Rilfes are shipped Fed Ex overnight

significantly less turn around time than i had expected.

sent in my info on 7-30, and the rifles will be here tomorrow, 8-22 (at least that what the tracking number tells me), much better than the "at least 30-60 days" i was quoted.