Thread: 5.45 RPK

5.45 RPK

For the last year or so, I have been shooting my Tiger carbine and PSL fairly regularly and enjoy them very much. I have been unable to find the elusive 7N1 in my area and tried reworking some of the standard GI ball; Hungarian,Russian, Czech, etc. By reworking I mean using a Hornady dial indicator and straightening them if they are "out" and or somewhat bent. Also I have been weighing them and separating from lightest to heaviest. Overall, using this method, I have been able to enhance the accuray and grouping of the standard ball ammo.

About 2 years ago I aquired a 5.45X39 Vector arms RPK in great condition. I have fired it about 60 times with Wolf brand commercial ammo. It shoots great and doesn't miss a lick. Although this is somewhat a cool gun, I really don't like the stock configuration and much prefer the Tiger/PSL type of buttstock. Would it be legal to remove the original buttstock and replace it with a PSL style stock? I have a friend I talked to about this and he said he couldn't see anything wrong with that. Also, I am planning on permanently removing the bipod and perhaps changing the flash hider with something else.

Wow!...............Talk about cool; a 5.45X39 PSL. Probably pick-up about 250-300 fps over the standard AK length barrel and perhaps enhanced accuray with the heavier barrel............................ Thanks,......Ray
    Last edited by RAY1946; 08-26-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Welcome RAY1946. Have any pictures?
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!