Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nut...as in imanak

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I was only talking about imported AKs and the like. You are right, you can own more than you can afford as long as they are either US made, but imported is allowed only if they meet the sporting purpose clause, IE single stack magwell, Bush-hole stock. All WASR rifles are imported with single stack magwells. That allows them to meet the sporting purpose clause. Like it or not, a semi-auto long gun has to meet a sporting purpose per ATF for it to be imported. That is why I would like to see the reaction of a judge to a charge of 11 imported parts on a semi-auto.

You can then change the configuration of an imported AK to standard mags, but to meet that sporting purpose, you must not use more than 10 imported parts when making the configuration change. That way it stays "sporting" even thought the configuration itself is prohibited, by parts count it is now a sporting weapon, so it is legal. Really stupid when you sit back and think about it.

Sorry deth502, the parts count of an imported semi-auto long gun has everything to do with the sporting purpose per ATF.
    what im getting at is that the "parts count" bullshit is not because the rifle has to fit into a "sporting clause" there is no "sporing clause" ownership ban. you can own an ak and it does not have to meet the "sporting clause"

its all semantics really, yes, ill agree 100% with what youve said about breaking 922 r laws all day long. the point im trying to make, is that that is all completely irrelevant, because the ownership of a contraband rifle and the laws thereof have absolutely nothing to do with the 922r laws. its apples and oranges. im not even arguing that POSSESSION of said rifle is against the law. all im saying is that the RIFLE ITSELF is illegal. the op stated "is there anything to worry about" and again, im not going to argue the fact that he may or may not have to worry about being arrested, but again, the rifle itself, is illegal, and if found, will be destroyed as such. imo, having the govt take my property and destroy it would definitely fall under the category of "something to worry about"

the way im seeing this conversation is like someone asking, "if i kill a girl, and have sex with her, its not rape, cuz she never told me to stop" yes, that may be true and you can argue that heres nothing wrong with that all day long, but the fact of the matter is, killing her in the first place was illegal.

Don't fuck around with the ATF.

That's all I got to say about that .

It took me a little while to reply because I had to stop my head from spinning.Lets go back to 1992.This rifle was allowed in the UsA because the bayo mt was ground off,it had a thumbhole,no threaded barrell,no pistol grip etc.Now it is contraband because someone changed the stock and added a pistol grip but MAY not have added enough of the required 922 stuff.Is this correct? I'm going to bed now and will check any replies tomorrow.I'm bushed.

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    I'm bushed.
    We all were
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    It took me a little while to reply because I had to stop my head from spinning.Lets go back to 1992.This rifle was allowed in the UsA because the bayo mt was ground off,it had a thumbhole,no threaded barrell,no pistol grip etc.Now it is contraband because someone changed the stock and added a pistol grip but MAY not have added enough of the required 922 stuff.Is this correct? I'm going to bed now and will check any replies tomorrow.I'm bushed.
    According to the codified regulations, it is only bad if you were the one to make the conversion.

Now how is this for oops, ATF goofed? From 1999 thru late 2003 ATF allowed the SAR series to enter the country. Funny thing was they came in as 100% imported AKM rifles with full size mag openings. The Romanians didn't use threaded barrels on their semi-auto AKMs, and just ground off the bayo lug for shipping. Once in the USA, Century (the importer) removed the evil imported pistol grip, fire control group and gas piston, and replaced them with US parts thereby meeting the letter of the nebulous "sporting purpose", but it was met after importation of a rifle that as imported did not meet the ATF definition of a sporting rifle. I would have paid to see the face of the ATF guy who realized that they were allowing the importation of a semi-automatic rifle that did not meet 922(r)! Lucky for those of us who try to live a legal constitutional life, ATF just banned further importation of the SAR series and didn't go after those already here, because Century did meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment by selling them with 10 imported parts, making them angelic and "sporting".

Head spinning? You would be surprised how many people, ATF included had no idea what the definition of "sporting purpose" was, and it was only very recently that ATF tried to actually define it.

Again, read the codified regulation. I does rate up there with the stupidest rules ever written in the face of an existing law which supposedly over rules it.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    We all were
    Ain't that the truth. And damned if I didn't happen to see Bush1 and the speech he gave was his rant about "evil looking weapons"!!!

Every time you insert a nonUS magazine you "assemble" a non-comliant rifle... no mag - fine, mag in - not so good.

Let me get this straight!

If I one night decide to see what my converted MAK 90 (USA stockset and Tapco mag) looked like with a real Chinese mag I could go to jail?

If my slant muzzle brake doesn't say Tapco USA, I could go to jail?

Quote Originally Posted by vit View Post
    Every time you insert a nonUS magazine you "assemble" a non-comliant rifle... no mag - fine, mag in - not so good.
    And we have a winner! Yep, unless you use a US mag, or one with enough US parts, you are a criminal every time you insert a three imported parts mag.

I would bet that with all the laws we have in the different municipalities, from towns, counties, states and the feds, every one of us is in constant violation of some statute somewhere. I am sure our founding fathers would not be happy with the current state of the Union.

The 64000 question.How do you identify a US mag? Mine is a 30 round.

You know it just hit me.This is insanity.Government at it's worst(if it even has a best).If someone with even less understanding then me found this site for the first time they would think it's a joke.Like the Abbott and Costello who's on first routine.Even if the chances are remote there is still that one iota that it could happen to an otherwise unsuspecting law abiding citizen and that's not funny.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Which is why I only have Preban AK's!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12