Thread: Just spent $280 on accessories for Mossberg 500... Wow

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Just spent $280 on accessories for Mossberg 500... Wow

Back in 2006 or so, I came across an 8-shot Mossberg 500 12 ga. for $200. I kept it original for years up until this year, when I put a pistol-grip stock on it that I had laying around. From there, customizing it seemed to spiral out of control. I was tired of a plain bead sight, so I bought a Black Aces full-length rail and put Mag-pul flip-up sights onto it. The rail also allowed me to mount a Streamlight flashlight. One thing then led to another.

While sighting it in, I realized the sights sat up a little too high to be comfortable. I then searched for a stock with a higher comb, which yielded no good results until recently, when I came across the Mesa Tactical High-Tube stock adapter for the Mossberg 500. The high-tube stock gives it the same sight-line as an AR15, which I like. At the same time, I ordered a Safariland SuperStoc, a Magpul MOE+ pistol grip, and a classic shotgun shell sling. Here is how the Mossberg sits at the moment until my order comes in:

Black Warrior stock, Black Aces rail, Streamlight Polytac LED, Magpul flip-up front/rear sights, Sightmark 1x sight (not pictured), and Uncle Mike's buttstock shell carrier.

I will add more pictures as parts come in. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a Printerman special!
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

I love it. You spent more in gear than one is worth!

Looks cool though. How much does it weigh now? Honestly, I've always felt the Mossys needed more weight toward the stock end anyways. (especially when loaded)

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Not my style for sure.

I'd be concerned about Magpul sights on a 12 gauge also.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Not my thing. How do you attach a bayonet to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    I love it. You spent more in gear than one is worth!

Looks cool though. How much does it weigh now? Honestly, I've always felt the Mossys needed more weight toward the stock end anyways. (especially when loaded)
    It's about 8 to 9 pounds loaded; it's almost got the hefty feel of a SPAS-12 now.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Not my style for sure.

I'd be concerned about Magpul sights on a 12 gauge also.
    So far so good, I'll let you know if they get screwed up down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by vit View Post
    Not my thing. How do you attach a bayonet to that?
    It never did have a bayonet mount to begin with, but I'm sure there are rail-mounted pig-stickers out there somewhere for the zombie hunters.

This is close to what it will look like when complete, minus the Surefire fore-end and shell carrier.

http://www.knesekguns.com/commercial...00KGI-pkg1.jpg

This is turning out to be one ugly boomstick, but it'll do well for its role as a home-defense shotgun.

I'm curious to see how this Sightmark red-dot holds up, also. It's supposed to withstand .50 BMG recoil, but we'll see.
    Oh, and don't worry: Out of my 12 shotguns, this is the only "tacti-cool" one. All the others are still the way they came from the factory!

Last edited by skorpion; 09-07-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Brown Santa came today, and I got the new stock put on. I love it so far! I used to say that I would never put an M4 stock on anything other than an M4, but it is actually very comfortable on the shotgun with the adjustable length of pull. It also feels like I'm holding an AR, and it allows for a perfect cheek weld to align with the rail-mounted sights. The one downfall is the fact that the safety is a little less accessible, but there are after-market safety switches to rectify that problem. I will let you all know how it shoots when I get the chance.

Shot it today in its new configuration. I really like the stock now. The recoil goes straight back into the shoulder and follow-up shots can be made extremely quickly. It was almost like shooting an AR15 with more kick. The electronic sight worked great for fast target acquisition and made shooting with slugs very easy. As a plus, the flip-sights and the electronic sight are co-witnessed. The sight stayed dead-on the whole time. I shot 2-3/4 slugs and some 3" 00 buckshot and recoil was not a problem at all. The Safariland-Rogers Super-stoc locks up solid as a rock and has zero play, and it was still nice and solid at the end of the shooting session. I think I may have to get one or two for the AR15s. I am very happy: Money well-spent!

I like that new stock!

I usually hate the pistol grip + butstock designs I see but that one looks good. I like how the stock is elevated enough for you to get a good cheek weld and not sacrifice your ability to use the sights.

Where did you get it?

Midway has them, and Mesa Tactical makes them for Mossbergs and Remingtons. The downside is the cost: $155 fir the adapter alone plus a receiver extension, stock, and pistol grip. Money well-spent, though. They also come with a rail that is about 6" long.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/729...aluminum-matte

Be careful not to overtighten those sights, I broke mine that way.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    I like that new stock!

I usually hate the pistol grip + butstock designs I see but that one looks good. I like how the stock is elevated enough for you to get a good cheek weld and not sacrifice your ability to use the sights.

Where did you get it?
    Almost certainly you wouldn't be able to use a regular bead sight with that stock, so you'd have to tactical the whole thing out once you got the stock.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Almost certainly you wouldn't be able to use a regular bead sight with that stock, so you'd have to tactical the whole thing out once you got the stock.
    Correct, however, they also make a low-tube version that allows the use of a bead sight, in addition to the LEO version that is like a "middle of the road" approach. The one I have, the high-tube, is made specifically for rail-mounted sights.