Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does everything have to be black and tactical with inspector gaget gizmos?

was_peacemaker

Does everything have to be black and tactical with inspector gaget gizmos?

Have you guys noticed in the last 7 years or so that it seems like gun advertisements are gearing more towards the crowd who really doesn't shoot, but just wants to pimp out their guns like their favorite Call of Duty piece. Nothing wrong with it if its your thing...but I don't need 20 pounds of junk to hit a target...and I am betting most of you fellas don't either.

I like my AK's simple. Nothing wrong with a little side mount scope/red dot type sight...but I don't need 100 rails on the grips and lasers galore either.

I prefer the HK-91 system with irons...even cheap copies and clones sighted in properly should give you outstanding accuracy without have to turn it into a Rainbow Six fan boy boat anchor.

The SKS...come on! Leave em alone! Ok..ok I understand some guys like a decent Monte Carlo synthetic stock on theirs. Heck...I will admit I was impressed with the Drag style stock on a buddies. What gets me is folks trying to tacti-cool this gun out way to much. Really my favorite SKS is the kind with a wood stock, bayonet, 10 round fixed mag, and stripper clips. Oh wait! That is how Siminov designed it to function! Works just fine. LOL

Does every pistol need a tact rail? And did Ka-Bar have to make a modern pistol bayonet? Enough said. Tritium sights are cool, and I am sure at times a tact rail has a purpose but it seems like in low light conditions that shining a laser or flashlight could give your position away to a home invader.

Ruger 10/22 (see SKS) Yes the hi-cap mags are cool...but really does a .22 need a folding stock and flash hider? I guess if your Sgt. Bubba of the Hillbilly Appalachian defenders brigade. HA!

Anyway...just a rant. Some of us like simple and simple is good. In dire times...the less you have to keep up with the better your chances of coming out on top are. Well that is my opinion.

everything I own has irons Except for my teeny tiny blackout upper.

Firm believer of walnut and steel.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I'm waiting for the Black Powder Tactical accessories to come out. It's about the only thing they haven't tried to make Tacticool. I only have about 3 rifles with scopes and one that has a laser light and flashlight. The rest are "standard."

The "newest" trend that I absolutely hate is the selling of rifles that don't have any iron sights on them. Sightless barrels are the worst idea since plastic toilet paper. I like my iron sights and they should be on every rifle, if for nothing more than backup sights when a scope fails.

(p.s. Don't let Printerman see this thread or he'll have a coronary.)

The only addition I've ever seen that made sense in pistols is night sights and a flashlight. If you have ever been flashed in the face by 140lumens after you've gotten your night vision good and adjusted, you'd understand why. Despite this, none of my pistols have lights, I just keep a flashlight handy.

As for the rifles, I wholly agree. I see do much shit hanging off of people's guns these days, it's sick. I can understand a good light, but the $1000 IR laser, $500 vertical grip light combo, $600 eotech with $300 3x magnifier, buttstock mag pouch, mag coupler, and tactical spork is a bit much.

And regarding guns like mosins, SKS, lever actions, and other classics, just leave em alone..
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

here is a list of the must haves.

my personal Favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by RiJiD View Post

my personal Favorite.

I forgot about this accessory. An olive drab tactical straw is necessary for that, though.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I'm waiting for the Black Powder Tactical accessories to come out. It's about the only thing they haven't tried to make Tacticool.

IMHO this is the Tacticool version of a Black Powder rifle and this isn't the only brand or model on the market. Totally not traditional looking and I hate all of them I see being sold to "Hunters".

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiJiD View Post
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I like a little bit of each flavor. Out of my 50 guns, most of them are factory original with no accessories. A small handful are modified, and five have scopes (but one .22 is 50's vintage with factory scope). I agree, the tacti-cool stuff is beginning to go over the top. I swear I never see an AR without some type scope or electronic aiming device(s) on it. I'll stick with iron sights on my M4gery. Iron sights on firearms are like manual transmissions in cars: Pretty soon using them will become a lost art!
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post

IMHO this is the Tacticool version of a Black Powder rifle and this isn't the only brand or model on the market. Totally not traditional looking and I hate all of them I see being sold to "Hunters".
    While I hate this modern "evolution" of muzzle loaders, too, I rationalize it by thinking if modern smokeless powders and cased cartridges hadn't been invented, this would have been the next logical step in muzzleloading.

I still prefer, and purchase, traditional muzzleloaders and supplies. I prefer real black powder to Pyrodex, etc. and I like the older, round-ball-twist barrels (1 in 60") to the faster twists for conicals and sabots. I like cutting my own patches as I load the ball into the barrel.

Oh well....progress, I guess.

The "newest" trend that I absolutely hate is the selling of rifles that don't have any iron sights on them. Sightless barrels are the worst idea since plastic toilet paper. I like my iron sights and they should be on every rifle, if for nothing more than backup sights when a scope fails.

Not to pick nits buuuutttt. . . The Sako Finnbear my father purchased in the the 70's did not have any sights on it.

After seeing the "tactical" lever action I have to agree. sure I prefer a rear peep sight but enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Not to pick nits buuuutttt. . . The Sako Finnbear my father purchased in the the 70's did not have any sights on it.
    You're right. They have been around for a while, now, but back then, only the "higher end" rifles were sightless. Now, almost everyone makes them. It's getting like manual gear shifts for cars; you have to special order ones with sights, then you pay a premium for that "order."

You're right. They have been around for a while, now, but back then, only the "higher end" rifles were sightless. Now, almost everyone makes them. It's getting like manual gear shifts for cars; you have to special order ones with sights, then you pay a premium for that "order."
    You are correct of course. "Back then" the rifles without sights were being sold as long range hunting specials. Today's trend is to go sightless for those using the "high speed, low drag" red dot sights with 0 magnification. It really does suck.

I'm a big believer in back up sights. My eyes are a bit older and I really appriciate magnification. BUT, scopes can break or get knocked off target (Anyone see Sara Palin's Alaska show were the rifle got dropped?). Soooo, I make sure that I can remove a scope in the field and have back up sights that are sighted in, just in case. . .

I have no idea what you're talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about...
    That's really a good idea. Mount a laser sight on it to ensure you hit your mouth when you get tipsy.

The sad thing is when I have seen that cup for sale it is insanly expensive. If it was like 10 bucks as a joke ok, but it ain't cheap.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    The sad thing is when I have seen that cup for sale it is insanly expensive. If it was like 10 bucks as a joke ok, but it ain't cheap.
    Maybe it's that way because you can turn it into a grenade/rocket launcher pretty easy?

It's not just ARs. Have you seen what they're doing to Mossy and Remy scatterguns lately (especially Mossbergs)?
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

(p.s. Don't let Printerman see this thread or he'll have a coronary.) [/QUOTE]
    Nothing but the finest weapon construction and parts used !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast