Thread: VEPR!!! Finally! 9/15/12 range update!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

VEPR!!! Finally! 9/15/12 range update!

Been wanting to add another .308 to my lonely STG-58 and been wanting something affordable. That ruled out the great SCAR-17. Got a call from a friend who runs a gun store, would I be interested in a .308 VEPR with a 23 inch barrel. It's mine now!!! Plan on a range trip this coming Saturday. Will probably put an SVD scope on it since I happen to have an extra laying around for some reason. Didn't know that the rear sight was adjustable for windage!

Can't wait to get to the range!!!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I'm digging that VEPR!

I have heard the shorter barrels are a little more accurate. Don't know how true that is.

It reminds me of my PSL, but nicer and more commercial looking. No doubt it'll be more accurate too!

Also I think mags are real expensive for the .308 VEPR. I lucked out with my PSL. Got a box of rusty mags for cheap that I worked on and got all the mags working and rust-free again.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I love it! Congrats! I'm betting it'll be a shooter!

What are you going to do or mags? I think they sell 20 rounders for these? Steel?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Nice score! Any plans for it or leaving it stock?
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Excelent choice, sir!

Mag wise I have been looking around, and will probably pick up a couple 20 rounders. The rifle came with a 5 and a 10 round plastic mag.

As for making any mods to the rifle, this is one of the few Bush-hole stocks that I can actually get my hand around and reach the trigger. I will probably leave it stock for a while. One thing that bugs me is the muzzle protector is pinned on which I would guess would mean there are threads under it. Again, will shoot if first before deciding if I want to change things.

Installed the SVD POSP-4x24T scope. I am really surprised they use an SVD sidemount but glad they do as I just happen to have a POSP on the SVD mount. There is zero clearance between the light bulb holder on the scope and the rifle receiver cover. Didn't scratch it, but I wonder what a few rounds of vibration will do.

And talk about being heavy?!?!? I might need a crane to lift it if I get a 20 round mag! On the other hand, it has been a while since I lifted my daughters competition AR-15.

I might try later to see if an AK mount will fit, but right now I don't really care.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Installed the SVD POSP-4x24T scope. I am really surprised they use an SVD sidemount but glad they do as I just happen to have a POSP on the SVD mount. There is zero clearance between the light bulb holder on the scope and the rifle receiver cover. Didn't scratch it, but I wonder what a few rounds of vibration will do.

And talk about being heavy?!?!? I might need a crane to lift it if I get a 20 round mag! On the other hand, it has been a while since I lifted my daughters competition AR-15.

I might try later to see if an AK mount will fit, but right now I don't really care.

That is such a sweet rifle. I want one!
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I'm digging that VEPR!

I have heard the shorter barrels are a little more accurate. Don't know how true that is.

It reminds me of my PSL, but nicer and more commercial looking. No doubt it'll be more accurate too!

Also I think mags are real expensive for the .308 VEPR. I lucked out with my PSL. Got a box of rusty mags for cheap that I worked on and got all the mags working and rust-free again.

$45 each is not that bad compared with other .308 AK pattern rifles. But I doubt you'd toss them over your shoulder when empty.

Had it out today at our local 50 yard range. Possibility of going longer on Thursday, but right now I have to say it is a really nice shooter. It is also very ammo sensitive!

Started with South African surplus, and was pleased to find the first shots on paper and only off slightly left. A couple of clicks on the rear sight and I was happy that I could keep the rounds pretty much centered in the target. I will never again be the long range shooter I was when younger, but at least I kept the rounds on paper. And I was using a nice rest to lay the handguard on!

I then attached the POSP scope, and couldn't even hit the wood that the target was stapled to! All rounds were way high and way left, and I mean feet! I ran out of adjustment on the scope so I took it off and decided to have fun with the basic iron sights.

I next loaded Silver Bear and was all over the place. There was no pattern or consistency as to where the round would land.

I decided to put the scope back on and just see if I could figure out how far off I had to shoot just to hit the target. I shot low trying to bring the original scoped point of impact down, and my spotter told me I was hitting the ground in front of the target, which is where I was aiming, under the target. So I raised up and put the scope mark on the target, and hit where I was aiming! Just remounting the scope changed the point of impact a ton. Not really good for a scope and rifle that was designed to be transported separately! I still had the scope full up and full left so I know there is something wrong, but at least it was shooting to point of aim.

Then I let my buddy shoot it. He brought his Armalite AR10 with a really nice scope and some custom loads that he used for boar hunting. He first shot 5 rounds through his AR10 and made one small ragged hole. He then took the VEPR and shot about a 2 inch 5 round group. I am guessing the VEPR could never be the long range "sniper rifle" that a 23 inch barrel .308 would lead you to believe.

But it is good enough for me! It is a fairly soft shooter for a .308 except when shooting an oops round my buddy made up. Slightly over pressure by the looks of the primer. He was pretty embarrassed as he is a perfectionist and doesn't usually overdo a round. Oh well, we are all human, and the VEPR didn't care other than letting me know with a good thump instead of the shove the other rounds gave.

I'm happy.

And the results of my Sterling repair in another thread!

For the price in considering one.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Nice range report!

I think I'd like one with a 20" barrel.

Hello,.........I am new to this forum and recently purchased a VEPR in 5.45 with the 23" fluted barrel. I wouldn't tell anyone what to do, but I really wouldn't be mounting that dedicated SVD scope on your VEPR as it is designed for an "AK" dedicated base or scope system. I have a few of the SVD "based" systems and trying to mount these scopes on the AK will result in damage to the SVD scope or scope base.......................
    If you purchase a base/mount for your VEPR, be sure and get the low mount as the standard mount is way too high. If you need more height, go with different height rings. Have a nice day and good shooting ........................

Thanks for the info, but as you then know that an SVD scope will not fit on the AK sidemount. There is a lug that prevents it from going on an AK mount that aligns with an SVD mount. If my VEPR was a dedicated AK system I would not have been able to slide the SVD based scope on the rifle.

And if you think the standard mount is way too high, you should tell that to my rifle as the scope had an almost touching the receiver cover fit.

Quote Originally Posted by RAY1946 View Post
    Hello,.........I am new to this forum and recently purchased a VEPR in 5.45 with the 23" fluted barrel. I wouldn't tell anyone what to do, but I really wouldn't be mounting that dedicated SVD scope on your VEPR as it is designed for an "AK" dedicated base or scope system. I have a few of the SVD "based" systems and trying to mount these scopes on the AK will result in damage to the SVD scope or scope base.......................
    If you purchase a base/mount for your VEPR, be sure and get the low mount as the standard mount is way too high. If you need more height, go with different height rings. Have a nice day and good shooting ........................
    Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Thanks for the info, but as you then know that an SVD scope will not fit on the AK sidemount. There is a lug that prevents it from going on an AK mount that aligns with an SVD mount. If my VEPR was a dedicated AK system I would not have been able to slide the SVD based scope on the rifle.

And if you think the standard mount is way too high, you should tell that to my rifle as the scope had an almost touching the receiver cover fit.
    From these two posts I can gather that the intermediate cartridge VEPR uses an AK mount while the full caliber VEPR uses a SVD mount.

Makes sense.

It does make sense FunkyPertwee! Thanks for pointing that out.

Sorry FunkyPertwee, thats not the way it works. Two weeks ago I purchased a VEPR in 54r and it has exactly the same base/mount as the 5.45. I don't know how or why the Russkys come up with this reasoning, but thats the way it is. They are both very nice rifles and the workmanship is 1st rate..........................

Skip all that funny stuff and buy the Midwest Industries Side Rail scope mount. Just a shade over $100. It feels rock solid, allows room for you to adjust your scope's eye relief, AND it sits nearly as low over the bore as a TDS Dogleg mount. (The TDS is fine for coarse red dot shooting, but worthless for repeatable shooting using a decent scope.)
    The gun-toting practitioner of the Middle Path.