Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I sure hope that ammo will be realy valuable if things go south...

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    I think we are talking more about the internet tough revolution talk we see alot. Not always here either, just in general.
    Its just here, its more fun to make fun of than other places!
    Some have been revolting so long they have enough seniority to be vested..

True, when the site was down I read a lot of BBS sites. A lot of them have made some great preparations but are innocent as hell about how to protect their assets and crops.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

I'll agree on that. When this site went down I did find this site. Seems to have some decent info and people on it.

http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.net/index.php
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    Do you ever see people in this shtf threads stating stuff like,

-Im taking emt classes
    -Ive started a massive workout to get back in shape
    -Ive sold off my new cars, to get dependable old ones that wont stick out
    -I paid off my house, no more debt for me
    -Ive dumped my credit cards, getting off the grid
    -Im moving to the sticks to get a buffer zone around my family
    -Im taking rifle and pistol courses to get me up to speed with my shooting
    -Im growing my own food in a home garden

I think we dont see those bragged about as much, as its easier to buy gold on the internet, while never leaving ones chair.

And if one isnt ready to make life changing decisions to prepare themselves for this coming situation, then how can anyone with a right mind look at them and think they actually believe that this coming shtf is even real?

Its worth the effort of our money, not worth the effort of our sweat.
    That all takes hard work, most people prefer to take the easy way out.
    One more thing, you guys forget to mention stocking up on booze, cigarettes, and coffee-very good barter items.
    Last edited by insider; 09-07-2010 at 06:11 AM.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

I sure hope that ammo will be realy valuable if things go south...
    If things go .... South, everything will be valuable that is life sustaining; food, bandaids, peroxide, rubbing alcohol, betadine, cans of soda pop etc. It won't only be bullets. On that subject, who you going to trust to sell any too? If they don't have ammo and you sell them some, how you going to assure yourself they don't turn around and shoot you with the ammo you just sold them and take all your stuff?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I agree 100% with the premise that being in good physical condition should be priority #1 for dealing with any emegency situation. A person can have stockpiled MREs and ammo cans up to the bunker ceiling, but it won't do you much good if you can't run 10 yards without getting winded or an asthma attack. In addition... saving money, staying out of debt, getting useful medical & weapons training, and using some good-old fashioned American Common Sense will go much further than armor plating the 4x4 and loading more tactical accessories onto the poodle-shooter.
    Last edited by mrkalashnikov; 09-08-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Oh crap, forgot about armor plating the 4x4... I'll have to get right on that....
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    If things go .... South, everything will be valuable that is life sustaining; food, bandaids, peroxide, rubbing alcohol, betadine, cans of soda pop etc. It won't only be bullets. On that subject, who you going to trust to sell any too? If they don't have ammo and you sell them some, how you going to assure yourself they don't turn around and shoot you with the ammo you just sold them and take all your stuff?
    Just my thoughts exactly.The ammo will not be used as a commodity,it will be used as way to keep what I have and protect and feed my family.Like an insurance plan...Glad to have it,hope to never need it,grateful when I do.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    getting useful medical & weapons training,
    Are there any schools for infantry training? Infantry training sounded a bit over the top; however after the shtf how to set up a defensive perimeter would be a good thing to know.

To be clear, I grew up with firearms and shooting. When I joined the Army I had already competed with pistol, rifle and trap. They didn't teach me to shoot, they did teach us how to fight. Everything from where you dug a hole to where weapons were placed to best defend your perimeter. Most of the schools I've seen on line teach shooting, how to clear your house etc; are there schools that teach infantry skills?

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    Are there any schools for infantry training? Infantry training sounded a bit over the top; however after the shtf how to set up a defensive perimeter would be a good thing to know.

To be clear, I grew up with firearms and shooting. When I joined the Army I had already competed with pistol, rifle and trap. They didn't teach me to shoot, they did teach us how to fight. Everything from where you dug a hole to where weapons were placed to best defend your perimeter. Most of the schools I've seen on line teach shooting, how to clear your house etc; are there schools that teach infantry skills?
    I've seen ads for schools that supposedly teach military-type tactics and weapons traing. Don't know how effective any of them are in terms of real-world usefulness. If you grew up hunting & shooting, have good camping and woodsman skills, and were in the Army in Vietnam as an NCO you probably are already well ahead of the curve.

I learned a lot of valuable skills in the BSA that have carried me through to this day. The one area I'm weak on is my first-aid training, something I've been putting off but should address. I'm thinking some kind of condensed EMT courses, if such an animal exists. Additional firearms training would not be a bad idea either. I think no matter an individuals's skill set in any particular area, there's always room for improvement.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

BSA does indeed have a lot of practical instruction - my recent stint as a scoutmaster and the 8 years of working with the troop and my boys didn't hurt me any. And the added fringe benefit is that we now have a pretty good collection of camping and backpacking equipment - to go with the stuff my wife and I bought way back when we backpacked for our vactions - pre-kids.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    BSA does indeed have a lot of practical instruction - my recent stint as a scoutmaster and the 8 years of working with the troop and my boys didn't hurt me any. And the added fringe benefit is that we now have a pretty good collection of camping and backpacking equipment - to go with the stuff my wife and I bought way back when we backpacked for our vactions - pre-kids.
    My 3 yrs in scouts was time very well spent, looking back on it. I learned a lot of basic survival skills and woodsmanship during that period. First time I ever shot a gun was @ scout camp when I was 11. My dad was pretty active in our troop, being an old Eagle Scout himself among other things and helped me with extra skill sets that the BSA didn't cover.

I've seen ads for schools that supposedly teach military-type tactics and weapons traing. Don't know how effective any of them are in terms of real-world usefulness.
    Cool and they probably staff with ex-Inf or SpecOps retirees. Setting up a perimeter isn't something I'd want to pay for and use my vacation on.. lol It isn't fun, not at all.

If you grew up hunting & shooting, have good camping and woodsman skills, and were in the Army in Vietnam as an NCO you probably are already well ahead of the curve.
    The first thing an ex-NCO knows he needs is a well trained staff.

I learned a lot of valuable skills in the BSA that have carried me through to this day. The one area I'm weak on is my first-aid training, something I've been putting off but should address. I'm thinking some kind of condensed EMT courses, if such an animal exists. Additional firearms training would not be a bad idea either. I think no matter an individuals's skill set in any particular area, there's always room for improvement.
    Scouting teaches resourcefulness; for long term shtf that would mean knowing what you can and can't eat. IMO, I don't believe quite a few people will be short on the preparations; I do believe they will be short on Infantry skills. As you said "I learned a lot of valuable skills in the BSA that have carried me through to this day." There are other skills that in a shtf world will carry you through a fight. As the Scouts say "Be Prepared" and that applies to many things.

Once the antibiotics are gone infections take over the same as they did in the past. Before penicillin was invented people died from infections that today your doctor or dentist will hand you a prescription and say call me if it doesn't go away in a few days. As compared to back then when you died.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123