Thread: Day at the Range with the CZ 82

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Day at the Range with the CZ 82

Took my CZ 82 to my Mother-in-Law's house to do some shooting. I bought 500 rounds of Russian Brown Bear ammo but can't use it at the local range because of the steel content. My MIL lives out in the boonies so I figured I would just shoot it all in a field. Made it through 150 rounds before my thumb gave out. I really need to get one of those loaders that SlamFire recommended.

As for the day, my daughter and I fired 75 rounds each. The Brown Bear didn't seem as accurate as the American Eagle I used the first time I fired it. In fact, at 10 yards, I wasn't able to consistantly hit an 8" circle. When I used the American Eagle, they were right on at 15 yards. Looking at the back board (a pallet) we discovered that we were shooting, both of us, about 5" to the left of the target and about an inch below the target. I am fairly sure this was something with the ammo as she shoots right handed and I shoot left. Once we figured out where the bullets were going we did much better, but the bullets were not flying consistantly. Mostly they were low and left, then we would have one that fired high and straight on. We still have fun. Out of the 150 round we had 2 fail to feeds, both on my daughter. I almost wonder if that had to do with her wrists not being as strong.

She really enjoys that pistol though. I am thinking of getting her one, or because of the difficulty with getting ammo, the CZ 83 in .380. I would like a full size pistol, not a pocket pistol. Anyone have any other suggestions?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Damn. My Silver Bear has always been accurate out of my CZ-82, and I'm just a casual shooter. Heart sized groups at 15 yards at least.

If your going to get your daughter a full sized pistol just make it a 9mm. In my experience, women love a .380 in the gun shop and sitting on the sofa but hate to actually shoot it. A pistol like a Glock 19 will be comfortable to shoot, have a nice big slide for her to grab instead of a little blowback slide, have a weaker recoil spring, and have less felt recoil. Not to mention a more effective cartridge.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 09-24-2012 at 11:18 AM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Damn. My Silver Bear has always been accurate out of my CZ-82, and I'm just a casual shooter. Heart sized groups at 15 yards at least.

If your going to get your daughter a full sized pistol just make it a 9mm. In my experience, women love a .380 in the gun shop and sitting on the sofa but hate to actually shoot it. A pistol like a Glock 19 will be comfortable to shoot, have a nice big slide for her to grab instead of a little blowback slide, have a weaker recoil spring, and have less felt recoil. Not to mention a more effective cartridge.
    I took my daughter out with my G19 and she did not like it. The recoil was much more than she was comfortable with. We worked on her grip so that the pistol was not flying almost out of her hand, but it still hurt her wrist. She really enjoys the 9x18 round, but it is so hard to find if you don't order on the internet. If not for that I would buy her one of the CZ 82s.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Silver Bear works the best in my dad's as well.

ltorlo64, how did the mags work for you?

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Now that you got all that practice in I expect to see an entry in the Carry gun challenge match...from both of you.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Now that you got all that practice in I expect to see an entry in the Carry gun challenge match...from both of you.
    Got to get back from sea again. They frown on my bringing my weapons with me.

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Got to get back from sea again. They frown on my bringing my weapons with me.
    Well then you will just have to make Captain and get your own ship. Preferably one with a large fantail and cruises in warm calm seas.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Well then you will just have to make Captain and get your own ship. Preferably one with a large fantail and cruises in warm calm seas.
    That won't happen, but it woudl be nice!

NRA Endowment Member