Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are you doing to keep your human weapon in good working order?

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    thanks man. i'm practically a "tea totaler" now. i don't smoke, drink or do drugs (anymore). i have maybe one soda-pop every other month if i happen to be out and want to eat. water, like 1.5G+ a day and some milk is all i drink anymore...any day. and no coffee either...ever.
    I enjoy my coffee too much..

how many of y'all live on soda? or coffee? or energy drinks? could you do without 'em?
    The Army made me and others do without good coffee and look we did to others.. lol

and did you know that if you drink a big glass of water before bed if you are drunk/been drinking, and take a glass with you to nurse thru the nite, that you won't have much of a hangover (if any) in the morning? try it. it worked for me for 20+ years.
    It is easier to avoid excesses.

Another item to watch is salt.

Yea black coffee for breakfast.
    Water the rest of the day. No soda.
    And I drink ALOT OF WATER. But I work outside everyday, so fill a 3 gallon cooler up with ice and water every morning.
    Sometimes I do splurge though, and put some lime/lemon sliced in it!

I gave up all alcohol last year, not going back. Dont miss it a bit.

One of the most important threads on the survival forum of this site and an often overlooked topic.

I am walking and I mean walking my ass off with 10 pounds on the ankles and about to start with 10 on each ankle.

My diet sucks, but I really can not get past it, I was raised with it and I am likely the most picky eater you shall ever cross. We just had it different than other folks, beef cost 0 and while a garden beyond most folks dreams was my grandmas hobby, I eat only three veggies, corn, green beans, and potatoes, the end. I do enjoy fried chicken, it was a treat, baked chicken was good too especially bbq'ed, white rice was a fine side dish and folks for almost 30 years that is the end of the list if you add bacon, sausage and eggs.

This is the one thing I find tougher than exercise, I like to walk and run, but getting used to new foods when most of them actually make you gag and sometimes puke is not an easy task. I have found the meat category the easiest and while most fish is not on my list, I can at least get it down. its the veggies, fruits and nuts that screw me up. I like oranges now (Orange juice always was ok) and have tangerines in the ewww but ok category. Grapes totally work cause I can swallow them whole and raisins ain't that bad, again you can just swallow.

So needless to say, I am a fan of vitamins which likely give me what my diet lacks and I am working on that for the human factor and once I am 100% convinced I can carry 60lbs at a constant slow walking pace for three days in a row and cover 100 miles in that three days level smooth terrain, I will switch to a maintenance program on the walking fitness.

For those who say WTF, I am talking 24 hour days with 6 hours sleep minimum per day and figure 4 hours woth of stop and eat breaks, otherwise maintaining a 2mph speed.

Sounds easy, drive your car 30 miles from home on a road you can walk safely on on a Friday night and figure out what time your wife needs to come looking for you as you hoof it home no pack and then start talking about the weight of your bugout bag and your water needs.

My own personal next step after the 20lb dailiy hikes is the bugout bag worn for no less than 5 per day with a very real 30 mile hike with it once a month. Not high intensity running, jogging or even marching, but wtf, I do need to be able to walk it at a slow pace without falling over out of air and energy.

I know a lot of survival issues talk about hand to hand, fuck it, I will shoot em before it comes to that or they wil have shot me, I am way way too old to hand to hand fight. I will if it gets to that level rely almost soley on the wisdom of age and punt them in the balls, bite their nose off their face or whatever other part I can get a hold of, but I have no intentions what so ever in boxing matches with young men, Mike Tyson might have bit Holyfields ear, I would have been on my knees begging and if it did not seem to work he might be one nut short! I am just too damn old to be a badass.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 Crash's Avatar

Got busted up a while back and had back surgery. I've never been the same since and have slowly gone up in weight. I'm back to eating a better diet but I need to do more exercise. I do walk/hike but I have to do more. I bought the P90X series but with my back screwed I'm leary of doing the routines as shown at that degree. Getting old sucks...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12