Thread: Need help with my S&W revolvers

Need help with my S&W revolvers

I have two S&W revolvers, a model 29-1 and a model 66-1, that have the same problem. When I push the cylinder release forward, the cylinder sticks and will not rotate out unless I work the cylinder from side to side. Something seems to be binding, since when I am able to get it to rotate, you can feel it break loose. Any ideas?

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Viking350, take a look at the extractor rod. It may need to be tightened up. Hope the helps!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Viking350, take a look at the extractor rod. It may need to be tightened up. Hope the helps!

Steve
    Steve, thanks so much! That fixed the 66-1. My son has the 29-1. I'll have him check the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    Steve, thanks so much! That fixed the 66-1. My son has the 29-1. I'll have him check the same thing.
    I talked to my son. He said the ejector on the 29-1 was tight. He couldn't tighten or loosen it. Is there anything else we might look at?

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Viking350, start with a thorough cleaning. Have your son remove the grips and flush the action and cylinder with a spray cleaner. Then oil all the blue surfaces immediately followed by lube on the moving parts. The problem could also be due to old lube, powder under the ejector or the ejector worn or crane bent. Rule out the simple stuff first. If the problem continues then the revolver to go S&W to be inspected.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Thanks for your help, Steve.