Thread: Lasers - Guide Rod vs. Rail Mounted

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Lasers - Guide Rod vs. Rail Mounted

Hoping to learn the advantages & disadvantages between a guide rod versus a rail mounted laser. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I'm going to venture a couple of guesses - the guide rod versions have lower battery lives and less adjustment range but of course are "invisible" and out of the way allowing the use of standard holsters. The rail mount: the opposite - long battery life, lots of adjustment and bulky/in the way.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Ive heard issues with guide rod rails not holding zero and breaking, but haven't seen it myself. You might also wish to consider Crimson Trace laser grips.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    Ive heard issues with guide rod rails not holding zero and breaking, but haven't seen it myself. You might also wish to consider Crimson Trace laser grips.
    Unfortunately Crimson Trace doesn't offer their Lasergrip product for a Glock Gen4 Model 21. So I'll go back to my original question.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

As stated less adjustment, OTOH they are close to the bore so you need less adjustment. They do not bulk up the weapon as point number 2, nothing extra hanging out there to get bashed on or snagged on anything. The other aspect is it is very hard to find a holster to hold an external laser mounted on a pic rail under the slide. Last thing is based on using a laser myself, I think they slow you down on getting your shot off. If you are in practice you will instinctively know where your weapon hit without using the sights much if at all, the draw and shoot from the waiste line thing. I found myself much slower as your eye tries to pick up the dot then your brain start's processing is the dot where I want it yes or no, then correct if off, after correction then shoot. Mostly I think they are a good training aid for new pistol shooters as they can visually see what their trigger technique is doing to the aim. Last point is of course intimidation factor, laser dot on somebody's chest does send a statement. That said I still opted to remove them from any of my handguns I would carry concealed. Instead I go with Tritium night sights and call it a day.

I have lasermax in my XD 45, dognuts accurate out of the box.