Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead Season III (Spoiler Alert)

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up The Walking Dead Season III (Spoiler Alert)

So, what did you all think? Wonder why they made it out that the group spent the entire winter going house to house instead of leading them to the prison right away?

I noticed they picked up a WASR underfolder, a surpressor for an M9 and an M4 with optics. Also, what's the deal with the "sleeping walkers"? Last night was the third or fourth time I seemed to recall a walker that seemed dead all of a sudden "waking " up. Do they sleep or what?

What's the deal with Lorrie and Rick? At the end of last season when she reacted to Shane being killed by Rick and more so even when he told her Carl put walker Shane down I think Rick realized she wished Shane had lived and not Rick. Last night she mentioned to Herschel that ever her son hates her. Something must have happened over the winter.

Another thing I was wondering was the prison guard walkers in full riot gear. How did they get turned? Seemed like they were pretty well protected at least the group had a hard time killing them.

Overall it was a pretty good episode though I'd like to have seen more about what Andrea and the black gal. They barely touched on them and what's wrong with Andrea? She seems like she's dying from some illness. Mostly I'm just happy it's back on.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

I noticed / wondered most of the same things as you:

1. They've got some new weapons (two suppressed pistols, AK, M4, more hand weapons). That's good and was one of my major complaints from the first two seasons.

2. Yes, eventually they must explain what happened over the winter. The impression given at the end of last season was that the prison was near but maybe it wasn't as obvious as we thought.

3. Remember last season, the cops at the county maintenance yard - zombies but no visible bite marks. Anyone that dies becomes a zombie, maybe the cops in riot gear were shot or died through other means?

4. I think exploring dark cell blocks would not be productive. That's not the way to the kitchen or warden's office or armory.

5. The chick with the sword and Andrea...yeah their story was barely even touched on.

6. The group has clearly learned more about how to handle zombies, tactics, etc. They stay in a tight group, cover each other, communicate ("don't break ranks" I heard Rick yell when T-Dog went out to pick up the riot shield), etc.

Mostly I'm just glad that it's back on too.
    Last edited by T2K; 10-15-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Methinks there are going to be some flashback episodes to fill in the blanks.

Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Agreed on the way they started clearing the cell blocks. Get a place to hold up then try and find where stuff might be that you need then clear to the area. If you can add to your ranks then start clearing the whole facility.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The writer for the comic series claims that his universe is the same one set up by Romero. In Romero movies, especially Day of the Dead, zombies can be seen just laying around, and then becoming active when they detect movement. I think it would make less sense if they just stood around for months inside enclosed spaces without any activity to motivate them.

Does anyone else think that this show makes puncturing skull with knives and barely-sharp poles look way too easy? I think you'd be better off with a hammer as your non-gun zombie killer.

And I can see them fabricating a suppressor for the Beretta and threading the exposed portion of barrel, but how the hell did they rig up a redneck suppressor for the Glock? Where the F they getting threaded barrels? Maybe they threaded a scavenged G17 barrel and put it in his G19?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Remember, they've been going "house to house" for the last few months of the winter. They were bound to find some extra goodies for their arsenal. How many of us don't have "everything" locked up in a safe? I was happy to see an AK added to their weaponry too!

I agree, they'll do some flashback scenes or episodes to fill in the blanks, not only for the group, but for Andrea (and Michonne*spelling?)

I missed the very last episode of last season, but caught it on Saturdays Marathon, glad I did, or I'd be slightly off.

I do think they used way too much ammo, clearing the yard, especially when the poles through the fence were working rather well. As for the heads being seemingly too easy to nail, they've been in a state of decay for several months now, - yeah flimsy excuse but it works for TV right?

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    And I can see them fabricating a suppressor for the Beretta and threading the exposed portion of barrel, but how the hell did they rig up a redneck suppressor for the Glock? Where the F they getting threaded barrels? Maybe they threaded a scavenged G17 barrel and put it in his G19?
    I didn't see it as I'm on Dish but. . . it's been said that they did a lot of off camera scavenging of houses. Maybe they found the glock and silencer together in their scavenging. My problem with the silencers being found though, 22. are the gateway into silencers. We see two centerfire pistol silencers now but not .22s? I know, I'm picking nits here. . .at least we now see some "real" firearms for a (good) change.

Quote Originally Posted by WOD View Post
    I do think they used way too much ammo, clearing the yard, especially when the poles through the fence were working rather well. As for the heads being seemingly too easy to nail, they've been in a state of decay for several months now, - yeah flimsy excuse but it works for TV right?
    That bugged me too. Especially after the locked the gate up and did the turkey shoot in the yard. Tactically it was totally unnecessary. But then again tactically they are a mess in general. They do seem to be tightening up a little bit. What they seem to lack most is patience. Clearing out that prison to where it is really safe(ish) is likely to take weeks

The short haired lady was complaining about the AK47 kicking! I wasn't sure if she was being real or just wanting a better massage.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    I didn't see it as I'm on Dish but. . . it's been said that they did a lot of off camera scavenging of houses. Maybe they found the glock and silencer together in their scavenging. My problem with the silencers being found though, 22. are the gateway into silencers. We see two centerfire pistol silencers now but not .22s? I know, I'm picking nits here. . .at least we now see some "real" firearms for a (good) change.
    Both of the suppressed pistols looked rigged. Didn't look like scavenged weapons that were previously registered as commercial products.

Keep in mind the writers and prop makers probably don't know anything about suppressor availability or registration in the US.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    The short haired lady was complaining about the AK47 kicking! I wasn't sure if she was being real or just wanting a better massage.
    I caught that too. Probably wanted the attention from Darryl but then again an underfolder and a tank top are the most comfortable way to shoot an AK.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by WOD View Post
    That was my biggest complaint about the episode. Sure, if you have ammo to spare then fire away, but they were way low and apparently used almost all they had.

And Rick throwing the dog food that the kid Carl was about to eat, like "no son of mine is going to eat dog food", Yeah well the kid was obviously hungry and your pregnant wife could use a bite to eat as well! That skinny owl wasn't going to feed all of them! Stupid.
    Guns Network member since January 2001

Illinois State Rifle Association

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I hope the action moves forward at a brisker pace than in Season 2. Imo they spent way too long hanging around Herschell's farm...it got old after a while. The prison seems to hold some promise...

The improvised silencers looked goofy, one being a backwards mounted mag-lite & the other some kind of silver funnel. Hollywood BS.

And yes, at this point they seem to be expending way too much precious ammo. If I were in their posse I think I'd carry a razor-sharpened machete & a small pickaxe for braining the undead with. Shooting would be pretty much a last resort at this point, unless the prison armory is found to have a mother-lode of ammo.

Was just rewatching last night's episode on AMC and it sure looks like Carol, up in the tower is hand cycling her WASR10? Right after she almost shot Rick and says "Sorry", it looks like racks the bolt.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

What I don't get is why they didn't just hole up in the guard towers (along the perimeter fence) the first night. It doesn't look like any walkers had gotten in between the double-fences. Usually those guard towers are situated so that they have OVERLAPPING COVERAGE of the entire prison grounds. Then they could have taken up strategic positions and conserved their ammo, only sniping off those walkers that were blocking the direct route to the Medical Annex, Cafeteria, or Commissary (food stores and supplies). Clearing out the Yard would have been the VERY LAST thing on my mind, better to just try to trap them in there and clear out the rest of the prison.

But of course, that wouldn't have made for as good of drama as just going in as a group and hacking and slashing walkers left and right, and entering deep, dark cell blocks blind with no real plan for when things go south.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

How bout when Rick ripped that masked walkers face off? Mm mm
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    How bout when Rick ripped that masked walkers face off? Mm mm
    Yeah it was kinda juicy!

The black chick with the katana lopping off heads was nice too. I was wondering why she had the neutered zombies on chains till I saw she was using them as pack mules lol. There must be other reasons to have them though?
    Guns Network member since January 2001

Illinois State Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    The writer for the comic series claims that his universe is the same one set up by Romero.
    In Romero's universe anyone who dies becomes reanimated. The bitten just turn zombie quicker, but all corpses must have the brain destroyed or they come back.

(This is due to the original film crediting the Z phenomnena with "SPAAAAYYYCE RADIAAAAAATION!!!!" gotta love the sixties!)

It's a piece of trivia often overlooked and seldom explored in his films, but it does pop up in a couple of them.

Since Walking Dead treats the Zombie Plague like a virus my theory was that disease may lay dormant in people who have not been bitten or exposed outright until they die...

...or maybe it SPAAAYYYCE RADIAAAAAATION!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    But of course, that wouldn't have made for as good of drama...
    I was talking about the same thing with my girlfriend the other night.

The characters have to be stump dumb fish out of water or the story would suck.

The whole show would be people in a second story entrenched possition stabbing Zs through the head with spears and eating canned food during breaks.

Squish... "got one"... Squish... "got one"... Squish... "got one"...

It would have been the most boring T.V. pilot and Zombie Story in history.

Keeping them stupid means awesome moments like "screw a buddy system, I'ma go into town alone!" and "lets scramble and fight over hard to come by guns and ammo instead of issuing the group ballpeen hammers and camp shovels!" and similarly "OH CRAP ZOMBIES! And me without so much as a hatchet or youth sized baseball bat!! Shucks! One would sure come in handy right about now...".

Really, if they had any brains at all they could better equip themselves at hardware, farm supply or sporting goods store than they have all through seasons one and two. Crap, a Big 5 would have yielded more guns and bludgeoning instrument than they can carry.
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo GED; 10-15-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

What's up with Andrea, it was winter and she has a bad cold and no anti-biotics. Michonne, the katana wielding Black Chick as you guys put it is towing the "Pets" around because one was here boy friend and the other his best friend if I remember the trivia correctly. Yes she's using them as free pack mules that need no fule to keep them going. Andrea and Michonne will probably be the focus of next weeks episode. Looks like they will be captured by Merle and the Govenor and taken back to Woodberry a walled off town that hasn't been ransacked or over run by walkers.

On the better gear thing, well as the SHTF people probably went nuts looting and stealing stuff for supplies. Lastly, this is ENTERTAINMENT, it is not REALITY so stop thinking about it like that. Geeze, just enjoy the damn show already!

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Punk View Post
    And Rick throwing the dog food that the kid Carl was about to eat, like "no son of mine is going to eat dog food", Yeah well the kid was obviously hungry and your pregnant wife could use a bite to eat as well! That skinny owl wasn't going to feed all of them! Stupid.
    I was talking to someone about that. They said while 30 years ago dog food was of higher quality than human food nowadays brain tissue with Mad Cow Disease, other bio-contaminates and industrial waste is in Fido's food.

I don't know how true that is, I think Pedigree, Mighty Dog or Alpo beats the hell out of nothing.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast