Thread: Front sight adjustment on a vepr I .308 rifle

Front sight adjustment on a vepr I .308 rifle

Not sure if there's a special trick involved but my front sight will not adjust. Bought the correct adjustment tool and it broke. One of the sides that slip over the sight just sheared right off. Is there a set screw or pin that has to be loosened?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

If the VEPR I is like the standard AK type front sight, the first time you try to move the windage drum is just this side of impossible, but it is possible, just very hard, and it take a tool that is designed for the pressures like you found. Virtually every front sight I have had to move, I wound up drowning it in a penetrating oil, and had to put an extension on the adjustment handle. If you could see mine, you could see how hard some adjustments were as the handle is bent.

I honestly don't know who makes the best adjustment tool, but if you have a standard "C"-clamp that would fit around it, use a socket that fits over the side you are moving it to, and a punch or even a small nut that fits inside the diameter of the side you are pressing on. That might be one way to break it loose initially.

Luckily after the first time, subsequent movements are easy, but that first move is a real bear.

Dave, you might try soaking with some penetrating oil and the use of a hot-air gun if you have one laying around....................

Thanks. And I had no idea it was windage adjustable. I should have clarified it was the elevation I was talking about. And I guess it explains why I thought there was a set pin in the side of the sight base and the c-clamp things that came up when I googled vepr sight tool. Will give it a go when I pick up a new tool.

Ok, same thing with the front sight pin, used for elevation. Soak it. It is actually a threaded split pin, and can be very tight, can have some rust or dirt on it, or worse, incorrectly installed. The split pin feature is what keeps it from rotating on it's own when being fired. I would get a good sight adjustment tool and try working it back and forth to break it loose.

I honestly thought they coated the barrel assembly after they put the sight pin in. Can understand not wanting it to move but man, that's a bit much, lol. I eventually want to get it scoped but with all the mixed reviews picking a decent mount is next to impossible for me.

I used a scope from an SVD on my .308 VEPR, and it does not hold zero if you take it off and reinstall it, which is a shame because I have a similar sidemount (SVD scope but AK mount) on my SAR-1 and remove the scope all the time for cleaning, and the zero is close enough for my purpose. Two rounds and my zero is reset.

I have one of those sidemounts with the three screws on the lower part for tightening on the rifle. I have it on an SAR-3 and it keeps perfect zero.

My suggestion, if your VERP has a side mount, get a mount that either has a rail on the top to allow you to pick and choose what you use, or get one with rings which still allows a choice of scopes.

Well, I soaked it like you guys suggested and it broke loose eventually. I did however have to buy 2 sight tools, had another break on me, lol. And imanaknut, I ended up getting the side mount with the weaver style rail, seemed more practical for me, rifle wont be used for anything but putting holes in paper for fun so I'm not going to spend a whole lot on a scope.