Thread: 1911 pistol, September (7) yard challenge, post targets here

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

1911 pistol, September (7) yard challenge, post targets here

http://www.mytargets.com/Target5%20r...and%20cntr.pdf

Use the target link above to print out your targets

Any 1911 style gun shooting centerfire cartridges, no 22 conversions for this shoot.

There will be 4 targets shot, 5 rounds on each target, fired from standing position unless you are wheelchair bound. Distance is 7 yards, no more, no less.

Target 1 strong hand one hand
    Target 2 weak hand one hand
    Target 3 strong hand two hand
    Target 4 weak hand two hand

Post targets on this thread, deadline is midnight September 30 2010

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Shot September 1, 2010, 1500 hours, sunny, 90 degrees, very little wind, Using my old 1911 NM I shot in competition since the early 70's. Ammo was 200 gr LSWC w/ 4.5 gr of Bullseye loaded about 1976. Seems like it was about time for them to get used up so I can make some fresh ones.
    Last edited by old Grump; 09-01-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Thanks old grump!
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i might post something this time. shot the last one, but its hard to measure a group when all of the shots arent on the paper.

i think i can manage that at 7 yds..... hopefully.

Add 15 yard challenge to the 7 yard challenge

Same rules apply but at 15 yards instead of 7, shoot one or both using the red circle target I linked. I have a different target with this group because I was shooting a challenge match on another forum but ordinarily I would use the red circle.

Colt commander with 230 gr hardball and I shot it right after I shot the 357 match. In retrospect I should have done it the other way around. My left hand two hand target could have been the target of the day except for one stinking flyer that caught me by surprise. It was my second shot.

The first target labeled 1 hand left was actually two hand left, stinking flyer.

THUCYDIDES.

OG... what the hell happened on target #1 up there?.... Jesus, you really make me nervous. I have to practice a lot before I vissit you again. Maybe I have to try this next time I go to the range. But I wount be able to copy your "stapling"....

Never mind the nervous shoot some targets 7 yards and 15 yards and post them.

Also keep in mind the first set of targets were fired with target loads and at 7 yards. The second set with hardball ammo at 15 yards after I had just shot a challenge match with the 357 and full bore loads.

THUCYDIDES.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Good shooting there cowboy!

I'll see if I can get some to add to this thread...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Okay boys and girls, I know I'm not the only Gunsnetter out there with a 1911 who likes to shoot. If you don't like 7 or 15 yards shoot at 25 or 50 or 100.

Here is a 100 yard target shot at noon today. Not much joy in Mudville tonight, 7 on target and 3 just off to the left of the paper at 9 o'clock. the hole in the 8 ring at 3 o'clock is a double to my surprise. I had to use a 100 yard small bore target in order to be able to see it. Still using the same 45 and Mag Tech hardball ammo.

Only 9 more days to get in a target for September, any target.
    Last edited by old Grump; 09-22-2010 at 09:23 PM.

THUCYDIDES.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Okay boys and girls, I know I'm not the only Gunsnetter out there with a 1911 who likes to shoot. If you don't like 7 or 15 yards shoot at 25 or 50 or 100.

Here is a 100 yard target shot at noon today. Not much joy in Mudville tonight, 7 on target and 3 just off to the left of the paper at 9 o'clock. the hole in the 8 ring at 3 o'clock is a double to my surprise. I had to use a 100 yard small bore target in order to be able to see it. Still using the same 45 and Mag Tech hardball ammo.

That be pretty far for 45 ACP. I say that is impressive.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Quote Originally Posted by aliceinchains View Post
    That be pretty far for 45 ACP. I say that is impressive.
    Impressive was when I was doing that at 200 yards 10 years ago off hand. Now I have to color the sights and aim very carefully at 100 yards from the bench. You young puppies should be able to beat that, especially with decent ammo and not the generic stuff I'm shooting. Took me about 4 hours one fine day at the gun club but I managed to hit a 2X4 at 200 yards with a 22, a 38, a 357, a 44 mag and the 45. The only one that did not penetrate was the 22. I could have won a nice pot when this hotrodder shows up with his tricked out AR and says no way can I hit that board at 200 yards with the 357. He was going to bet me $100 and give 2-1 odds. It would have only cost me 50 if I couldn't do it. Some butthead told him I had already nailed it with the 22 and the 38. Heavy sigh, those days are long gone.

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post

Hey Grump is that a F target. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by justinsaneok View Post
    Hey Grump is that a F target. LOL
    Not even close, it's a 100 yard smallbore rifle target. The smallest target I could easily see at 100 yards with my old eyeballs.

THUCYDIDES.

nice shot. I think i will need more practice before posting mine here.