Thread: Garand value

Garand value

A noumber of years ago I purchased an International Harvester M1. This came from the old DCM and fit, finish and parts appear to be like new. I was wondering what the going rate for one of these is worth? Just curious....not wanting to sell.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Hard to say without photos and detailed info. It could be an unissued rifle or it could be refurbed. Looking at the prices on the CMP website I'd think maybe $1500 and up.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Hard to say without photos and detailed info. It could be an unissued rifle or it could be refurbed. Looking at the prices on the CMP website I'd think maybe $1500 and up.
    Not to hijack the thread, but a guy just offered to trade me a IH Garand for my Mini 14 with a tactical stock, gun bag and all my mags (about 6 or 7 Non OEM). I was thinking that was a good deal for me as I have probably around $750 into the Mini and other stuff. Here is what he said about his Garand.

"The M1 is in beyond great condition comes with orginal cleaning kit in the stock. Its a International Harvester brand which I'm told is the most desirable one since it is the one that is suppose to shoot the best."

What do you guys think about the deal? Assuming the condition is good, would you do it? How can I tell if it is really a complete IH Garand and not cobbled together from parts?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Check out the various threads here.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/forumd...arand-M14-M1A&

I'm not aware of an IHC Garand shooting any better than any other. AFAIK they were made later than Garands from other makers so an IHC might be newer and in better shape. It's probably safe to assume that most any Garand you find is going have mixed parts. The original ones are hard to come by and worth a lot more.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Thanks Richard. I'm meeting the guy this Saturday.

IMO, it depends on if the seller is willing to part with the gun RFN, or if

he is willing to wait for a collector who recognizes the rarity of the IH model.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Easy thing to do is look what they are selling for on gunbroker.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

And this thread is only 4+ years old.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.