Thread: Should I get my shotgun drilled and tapped for a rail?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Should I get my shotgun drilled and tapped for a rail?

I have a Remington 11-87 that's my do-it-all shotgun, which means I use it for deer hunting here in IL with a rifled barrel. I use a saddle-mount rail to attach a red dot to it, which means I have to add a cheek pad to compensate for the sight being higher.

For some weird reason I only happened to notice yesterday after getting it home from sighting in that the receiver is not tapped to add a section of rail. This got me thinking if it would be a good idea to get it drilled/tapped so I wouldn't have to deal with the higher sight and cheek pad every year for deer season.

First, are semi-autos usually not tapped for a rail due to tolerance issues compared to pump actions? Second, if it would be ok to get my shotgun drilled/tapped, should I even do it if I already have a saddle mount for it (and a cheek pad on order, which I forgot to order after last season, lol).

Thanks.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    It is very possible that the receiver does not have enough metal on the top to allow it to be drilled and tapped with enough threads to secure a mount

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

That's what I was wondering. I'm guessing that's why the rifled barrels I see for semi-auto shotguns are either rifle sights or have a cantilever mouth with a rail.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson