Thread: Walther PPK Question

Walther PPK Question

Just came across a like new, stainless, american made Walther PPK, .380, with 2 mags, box and all paperwork for $350.

Is this a good deal?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ATAK, Inc. View Post
    Just came across a like new, stainless, american made Walther PPK, .380, with 2 mags, box and all paperwork for $350.

Is this a good deal?
    Yes,last one I found used was over $400 and the shop would not budge.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Is this a good deal?
    Good deal? Hell yes!

I was going to buy one when I spotted an AMT Backup in .45

I had resigned myself to "small pistol = .380" and when I saw a small pistol in .45, I jumped on it.

But the PPK is really nice... solid, well built and simple internals. Nice pistol.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

The price is good.

In my opinion though, the gun is not.

They had a lot of jamming problems with those, craftsmanship is so-so, but looks nice.

My ex wifes shot like shit, jammed alot and was inaccurate as hell.

Which is not the normal reputation of the Walther in general, it's just that those, in my opinion, sucked

Interarms, yeah....good price. Smith & Wesson....run away, they have a bad rep.

I figure I can always sell for a profit or trade for something. Waiting to hear back from the guy.

What problems does S&W have, other than the recall last year?

I've always wanted a PPK, my FIL has a NAZI PPK, but I don't think he'll part with it any time soon. But it is a very good shooter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan44 View Post
    Probably true, mine was a Smith made.

If it says interarms or is german than whatever, but seriously I wouldn't go for the smith...I think it had a Conn. adress, can't remember if it said smith or not on the gun, but thats who made it.

What problems does S&W have, other than the recall last year?
    Rear sight was loose from day one, had it pinned, and still came loose, took it to three different gunsmiths and it always came loose next time we shot it. Grips poorly made, real thin, didn't match up well in the rear. Even when the sight was basically taped in place and the gun on a rest it did not group with any kind of acceptable consistency. Jammed quite a bit, tried a lot of different kinds of ammo.

Outside appearance was great, trigger pull was fine, had every indication of being a rather nice gun....but it just wasn't

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    Rear sight was loose from day one, had it pinned, and still came loose, took it to three different gunsmiths and it always came loose next time we shot it. Grips poorly made, real thin, didn't match up well in the rear. Even when the sight was basically taped in place and the gun on a rest it did not group with any kind of acceptable consistency. Jammed quite a bit, tried a lot of different kinds of ammo.

Outside appearance was great, trigger pull was fine, had every indication of being a rather nice gun....but it just wasn't

Thanks Kadmos, even though it's free $$$ (won a bit gambling), I'd rather put the funds into my '69 Camaro project, she really needs to get on the road!!!

Thanks Kadmos, even though it's free $$$ (won a bit gambling), I'd rather put the funds into my '69 Camaro project, she really needs to get on the road!!!
    Sounds like a much better use to me.

Sorry to be so blunt, but man I hated that gun, it looked so nice, felt great, and worked so freaking badly..that kind of thing just pisses me off

Quote Originally Posted by Dan44 View Post
    Now that you mention it, the PPK I looked at was an old one (new-old stock), not a Smith...
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Now that you mention it, the PPK I looked at was an old one (new-old stock), not a Smith...
    The problem is, just looking at, or holding, the Smith you would think it's a nice gun.

And maybe some are, but that wasn't my experiance.

One of the things that I love about these boards though, we get to help each other out and get the knowledge (or opinions) out there to be able to make good decisions.

Great thing about this board is people aren't too shy or proud to ask BEFORE they buy the gun..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    worked so freaking badly..that kind of thing just pisses me off

It pisses anyone off. LOL