Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $2 a gallon??

Quote Originally Posted by Focused Gunfire View Post
    How effective is that gas when compared to normal gas?
    My understanding is that a converted gasoline engine will lose a small amount of performance.
    CHOOT UM!

Link: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ew?redirect=no

If you have natural gas service to your home a compressor can be installed to allow home fueling.
    CHOOT UM!

So im guessing a gas/gas hybrid is not going to happen?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    So im guessing a gas/gas hybrid is not going to happen?
    There are plenty set up to run off gasoline and switch to propane, if you want to go that route.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    Starting to see more and more Fleet/construction vehicles using this fuel.
    The dairy near me started this summer

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/loc...a5c7541a2.html
    Fair Oaks will complete its switch this summer from fossil fuels to a renewable fuel made from cow manure. A bio–related cleaning system is on its way from New Zealand, said Mark Stoermann, project manager at Fair Oaks Farms. It will be installed at Fair Oaks Farms' huge, anaerobic digester to "scrub" out the carbon dioxide......................
    .....Presently, a fleet of 42 trucks bought in the first phase of the project are delivering Fair Oaks milk and running on compressed natural gas, or CNG, rather than diesel.

"To the best of our knowledge, it is the largest, long–distance fleet running on CNG in the country. ... We're actually making deliveries to plants 400 miles away," Stoermann, a microbiolgist, said.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

How effective is that gas when compared to normal gas?
    IIRC, it has about 2/3rds the BTU or less. You don't hot rod using NG, you do get there...

How do the vehicles tanks hold up in a crash? I was picturing a guy smoking and has a wreck..........

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm281 View Post
    How do the vehicles tanks hold up in a crash? I was picturing a guy smoking and has a wreck..........
    Exactly. Getting hit would be much worse than the pinto. Rolling bombs. I hauled fuel tankers for a while and every moment I was wondering what happens when some drunk plows into the side of my trailer, Everytime a propane tanker passes me I deliberately slow down. One manufacturing defect, one spark and that's one hell of an explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Exactly. Getting hit would be much worse than the pinto. Rolling bombs. I hauled fuel tankers for a while and every moment I was wondering what happens when some drunk plows into the side of my trailer, Everytime a propane tanker passes me I deliberately slow down. One manufacturing defect, one spark and that's one hell of an explosion.
    Me too. I've always had a fear of fuel tankers and propane trucks.
    They are prime targets for someone with tracers too.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

The only real answer I see as a long term goal of ridding our dependance on foreign oil is electricity.. We can generate that in the U.S.A. and we can generate plenty of it. But it also has some major hurdles to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    Me too. I've always had a fear of fuel tankers and propane trucks.
    They are prime targets for someone with tracers too.
    No shit, and nowadays you have yahoos shooting at cars for the fun of it, only a matter of time before some jackass or terrorist uses one as a target.

The only real answer I see as a long term goal of ridding our dependance on foreign oil is electricity.. We can generate that in the U.S.A. and we can generate plenty of it. But it also has some major hurdles to overcome.
    Not when it's Obamas policy to decrease supply and increase price.

Given that most of our electricity is generated by coal-fired power plants, ..........do you see where this leads? Electric cars are IMHO a huge 'nimby' thing. It looks good on the surface but if one looks into what is behind it all one finds more net pollution than petro power produces.

As to CNG storage tanks there ARE crash rated tanks in production and in regular use. It IS a good point though that they should be inspected regularly.
    CHOOT UM!

That is one of the hurdles I was refering to. Another project like TVA maybe??

That is one of the hurdles I was refering to. Another project like TVA maybe??
    Nah. More like the Manhattan project. We use generation technology based upon principles pioneered in the early 1800s. Really now, when ya put it that way it is pretty pathetic. There IS a better way than induction...just not sure what it is.
    The Jessie Ventura in me is sure someone is sitting on Tesla's bombshell work in this field.
    Seriously though, there is unbelievable electrical potential in the very air around us. The big question is how do we harness it?
    (Sorry, O.T. !)
    CHOOT UM!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12