Thread: 2012 Deer Season Del Rio, Texas

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

2012 Deer Season Del Rio, Texas

The story begins opening weekend November 3rd on our lease in Del Rio Texas. I was in my blind Saturday afternoon about 3:30. I had been watching a few deer coming and going. There were a pair of culls, a wide 4 point and a narrow 5. These deer have been seen on our camera, along with a nice tall 10 point with split ears. This is the guy I was targeting first.

My boy came out about 4:45 and was milling about outside the goat fence then he hopped in to munch on some corn. I knew the feeder went off at 5:00 so I did not want to shoot just yet. I was looking for a clear shot and I wanted this boy to be calm and steady. The feeder went off on schedule and as expected he spooked hopped out and stood behind the feeder and fence with his buck buddies.

After a few minutes he came back around the front and hopped back inside the fence. He presented himself for the perfect shot. I steadied myself, took careful aim through the grid and waiting for him to stand still. I squeezed the trigger...bang! The boy casually hopped out of the fence. I fucking missed? I looked through the scope and I could see I hit the grid high and right of where I was aiming.

See pic below.

I brought my son's rifle, which is sighted for him. 7mm08 Savage, Accurate rifle 1 1/2" with factory ammo x12 BSA scope. A nice beginners rifle. I was using hand loaded ammunition that when my son does his part will shoot sub MOA.

I got down and decided so see my sadness up close. I found one single drop of blood, I figured shrapnel from the bullet and no body. He was gone.

Fast forward to Friday November 16th afternoon, I came back to the same blind looking for the same deer. This time I poured some corn outside of the fence and climbed up the blind to wait. A new buck came to the feeder a very narrow 8 point, narrow as in the antlers nearly formed a basket from tip to tip. I marked him a cull but not today. He milled around and munched on corn, along came a narrow 5 point cull. About 4:30 a tall big buck trots in. The other bucks bow to his greatness and allow him to feed upon the corn. I put up the binoculars and I can see he has two split ears, a tall 10 point rack and an interesting dark spot the size of a bullet on his right flank in the middle of his gut. I knew this was my boy from the last hunt.

See pic below.

He stops over at the pile of corn left him specifically, I returned with my target .308 sighted for me to be point of aim. I waited for him to present a broad shot, he presented his left flank to me. I put the crosshair on the spot just behind the elbow of his front leg and squeezed the trigger...bang! He reared up like Lone Ranger upon Silver and charged off into the brush. I saw him hit, I saw him stumble, I knew he was mine. I waited the customary 5 minutes to allow him time to die, more like 5-10 seconds, because I was that arrogant that he was down.

I climbed down and walked over to the spot where he was hit. No blood? WTF? Did I miss again? I followed his tracks and could see on the dirt he zigged and zagged and stumbled a little. I figured he tried to circle back and low and behold I found him down propped up, giving me a link and sticking his tongue out at me in his last act of defiance.

See pic below.

I examined his exit wound, just under his left leg. Then I saw what happened to him opening weekend. I did not miss him, the bullet was deformed from impact on the grid his this guy and made an entry under his skin and exited out. Avoided deep penetration. The wound had already begun to heal. It had a scab and was clean.

See pic below.

The big wound is the exit of the fatal shot, the top is older wound from opening weekend.

More pics below of the buck.

Opening weekend was sad for my uncle as well. He saw what he described as a buck of a lifetime. He had the perfect shot missed his buck as well. We searched and searched but not body.

Fast forward to Friday and he took himself a nice 11 point, we are not sure if this was his boy from the previous hunt but he was heavy and wide. Good buck!

See pic below.

Not as heavy antlers as mine but much heavier body.

We found the exit shot imbedded in the tree behind the buck.

See pic below.

My uncle and his buck.

My uncle also decided to shoot one of the 30 plus hens that came near his blind. He did not bring a real turkey gun so he shot it with a Glock23 at 17 yards.

See pic below.

On Sunday I took a 3 point cull.

See pic below.

Good weekend! I'm heading back December 7th for turkeys, possibly a doe and an Axis buck.
    Last edited by AKTexas; 12-30-2012 at 08:33 PM.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    that is a nice deer ak texas!! nice nice nice !!!! save me some back strap, lol

Nice.
    I'll be sharing threads at work Monday.
    Our resident hunter was off this week doing the same, might have some pics to share.

Good to see this place getting some activity again
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

I'll be darn. What a cool story, glad you finally got your buck.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Nice buck...

We are having shoulder mounts done for both of bucks.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Thanks for the pictures, but it was the story that I really liked. Thanks for sharing.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    I'll be darn. What a cool story, glad you finally got your buck.
    Strange twist of fate. I had lost some faith in my shooting skills that day. First deer I did not plant with the first shot since I began hunting them when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Nice.
    I'll be sharing threads at work Monday.
    Our resident hunter was off this week doing the same, might have some pics to share.

Good to see this place getting some activity again
    I will only post in the hunting forums, guns forums or the roadhouse. I came to Gunsnet for the discussion on guns and related subjects not the bantering of GD.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatcher View Post
    Outstanding hunt. Nice buck(s) good for More hunting less politics
    The only politics I subscribe to is factory vs handloads.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Thanks for the pictures, but it was the story that I really liked. Thanks for sharing.
    My uncle and I played out what happened over and over the remainder of the opening weekend and even more once I score this fellow.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 EddieB310's Avatar

Those are nice deer for a leg humpin hunter. I took a 40 yd shot at a doe off the hood of my truck with a 50 cal round ball. When the smoke cleared the deer was still standing in the same spot, and a strand of barbed wire was swinging back and forth. The round ball didn't cut the wire, but it had a nice round bend in it. While this is strictly a hunting thread, i'm sure the mention of humping, round balls and swinging will have that fag blacksheep lickin his lips.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieB310 View Post
    Those are nice deer for a leg humpin hunter. I took a 40 yd shot at a doe off the hood of my truck with a 50 cal round ball. When the smoke cleared the deer was still standing in the same spot, and a strand of barbed wire was swinging back and forth. The round ball didn't cut the wire, but it had a nice round bend in it. While this is strictly a hunting thread, i'm sure the mention of humping, round balls and swinging will have that fag blacksheep lickin his lips.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieB310 View Post
    At least it was a deer leg. I'm heading back for my limit of turkeys next weekend. I'll be using a .38 Marlin lever action. Black powder would be a nice alternative. Where we are hunting the shots do not exceed 120 yards and the shortest is about 60.

...Or at the least wiping his chin.

New pics:

At different blind about 1/4 mile away.

Night time at the location I harvested him at. Notice the coon in the cage? I shot 2 coons in one of the cages with a Kel-Tec Sub2k .40 point blank. And shot another the weekend I took my buck with my G23 right as the sun was setting. Thieving bastards.

Last edited by AKTexas; 12-30-2012 at 08:34 PM.

that is a couple of nice ass bucks brother! you have some damn fine hunting land,,,,,, i'm freaking jealous!! i've been three damn time and haven't seen crap except two does, but if it wasn't hunting season the damn things would be pulling up beside me asking for a damn cigarette,lol

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    that is a couple of nice ass bucks brother! you have some damn fine hunting land,,,,,, i'm freaking jealous!! i've been three damn time and haven't seen crap except two does, but if it wasn't hunting season the damn things would be pulling up beside me asking for a damn cigarette,lol
    Does taste fine too. I'll be taking my son during his Christmas break for a cull and a doe. I'm also looking at some goats for the freezer too.

i hear you bro, don't worry i got me one,lol. you know how it is though, looking for that trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    i hear you bro, don't worry i got me one,lol. you know how it is though, looking for that trophy.
    Endless quest. I'm always looking for the deer of a lifetime. We also have a herd of axis deer. I'm always on the hunt for the big buck of the herd.

yes sir! one of me buddies laid his ass out of work and sent me some pictures about 915 this morning of a ten point he killed. probably a 130 class deer. son of a b%$#@ gave me buck fever so bad i about earlied out myself.

Updated

My son took a spike last weekend with his Stevens 200 7mm08. He shot a tad high into the lungs. The spike ran about 50 yards and collapsed. He left a one hell of a blood trail.

tell him congrats for me brother!