Thread: bent up a blank the old fasioned way.

bent up a blank the old fasioned way.

i was bored so i started with a computer case from a computer made probably in the 80's,its thicker and tougher than a tapco flat or some receiver stubs iv got off kits. cut it to a rough size of my ace template iv had for years!
    used

1 vise
    1 small c clamp
    1 wide jaw vise grips
    2 1/2 foot 1 inch wide piece of steel something
    1 east wing roofing hatchet
    1 regular old cheap hammer
    1 blue sharpie
    1 ruler stolen from my nephews
    drew out the center lines where the bends would be,then i laid it on my garage concrete floor.
    i took my time i didn't want to dent it to much and i wanted the bends to be sharp.i got them sharp with the east wing hatchet.
    take an hold the hatchet like your going to cut something,put it on the thin sharpie marker line,and smack it with the hammer.
    did this on both lines a couple times flipping it over to check the indention to make sure it goes all the way across the length of the receiver.
    then it was pretty much clamp it in the vise with the flat steel to get the bends sharp set it in the floor and step on it a few times til its bent all about the same.
    after that its clamping and hammer work.
    i think it turned out great.the only thing that turned out bad was where i had it clamped on the ends.it has a few indention.i can probably fix them with a sander but im not worried.other than that if i build it ill make it look rough,maybe put some hammer marks in it.
    the things i do when im bored.
    try to get pics tomorrow
    Last edited by charger0122; 12-04-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Fascinating!

pics!

heres the pics, i painted it white so i can see my lines when i go to cuttin the ends and mag,trigger holes.
    also made some rails for it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by charger0122; 12-04-2012 at 04:18 PM.

I've wondered whether traffic signs (Stop Sign, highway exits, etc.) would be suitable material?

are they stainless or aluminum? i never thought about it, not sure about heat treating either of the two.if its aluminum you would need a way to keep a steel ejector in there.
    Last edited by charger0122; 01-31-2013 at 03:19 AM.