Thread: What Wood is this Buttstock???

What Wood is this Buttstock???

I put this AK together 10 or 15 years ago; I forget where the wood buttstock (and handguards) came from...But the set came with a plastic pistol grip...

I'd like to replace the grip with the same kind of wood...

But I have no idea what it is...

Does anyone know what kind of wood this is???

(Thank You!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wood grain sure looks a lot like that yuan (I think that is the right spelling) wood used in asia for gunstocks...if you stain it it looks a lot like walnut...weed tree that grows very fast and produces usefull wood.

Diesel 88888888

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Diesel is probably right, it does almost look like Luan type Mohaganny wood that often gets used as a laminate covering on wood doors. I also would comment that it has a profle like no other stock I've ever seen. Can you take a top down photo or one maybe with some perspective to it. I'm wondering if it is a Soupbowl stock set, (US maker from the late 1990's).

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Can you take a top down photo or one maybe with some perspective to it. I'm wondering if it is a Soupbowl stock set, (US maker from the late 1990's).
    Topdown pic attached. I've never heard of Soupbowl; it doesn't sound like any vendor I've ever bought from.

A member of another forum thought the grain looked like Walnut too. I like the light look; I don't plan on staining it...

I'll do a Search for Yuan wood and see if I can come up with a blank that I can make a grip from.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Soupbowl was OK, made some nice stuff, I had, may still have, one of his walnut sets, had a drinking problem from what I've heard...now, I'm wondering whether 'Charley' made this stock after getting so many Russian AK's during the 'conflict' with US?

It appears to have been made on the right kind of jigs...the added rubber but plate attachment threw me off at first...but, got them too a long time ago....luan for sure.

Diesel 88888888

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    It appears to have been made on the right kind of jigs...the added rubber but plate attachment threw me off at first...but, got them too a long time ago....luan for sure.

Diesel 88888888

Thanks to both of you for identifying the wood as Luan! My bad about the buttpad; it was something I picked up at a gunshow (I hate to leave without buying *something*) and left on...It looks kind of cool, IMHO...

Team GunsNet Silver 08/2011

It's Chicom wood. I have a stock just like it on a preban 56
    Orginal sign up was Sept. 1999. I think maybe earlier or a little later. But...who keeping up???.Ha! Ha!