Thread: Looking for a recureve bow on a budget.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Looking for a recurve bow on a budget.

I grew up shooting my Aunt's recurve bow. I got pretty good sighting down the arrow shaft. I had a bear compound as did my uncle but alas all of these were stolen over 20 years ago.

So what I'm looking for is a budget recurve bow with a at least a 50-60lb pull.

I have not been into archery in years and I figured it was time to get back into it. Next year I planned buying a nice compound for hunting. the recurve will be for building the skills back up and teaching my boys.
    Last edited by AKTexas; 12-18-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 EddieB310's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    I grew up shooting my Aunt's recurve bow. I got pretty good sighting down the arrow shaft. I had a bear compound as did my uncle but alas all of these were stolen over 20 years ago.

I have not been into archery in years and I figured it was time to get back into it. Next year I planned buying a nice compound for hunting. the recurve will be for building the skills back up and teaching my boys.
    They are a lot of fun and a great hobby for kids. Some of the modern kids compounds are really cool. I was in Dick's last night and people were buying youth bows, arrows and targets for Christmas gifts. Sad to think but that may be the evil weapon of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieB310 View Post
    They are a lot of fun and a great hobby for kids. Some of the modern kids compounds are really cool. I was in Dick's last night and people were buying youth bows, arrows and targets for Christmas gifts. Sad to think but that may be the evil weapon of the future.
    I bought my step-son a Bear scout kit and a Shrade Barlow pocketknife as some of his presents. To think I might arming the next kook...

I bought my step-son a Bear scout kit and a Shrade Barlow pocketknife as some of his presents. To think I might arming the next kook...
    I have three nephews that live in a video game world. All 16 or older. I would love to give them a pocket knife or hunting knife for Christmas, but I'm afraid of what they might do with it. My Grandfather, father, and uncles hunted. My father in law worked in law enforcement. My children grew up around hunting and firearms, and I'm glad they did.

I have three nephews that live in a video game world. All 16 or older. I would love to give them a pocket knife or hunting knife for Christmas, but I'm afraid of what they might do with it. My Grandfather, father, and uncles hunted. My father in law worked in law enforcement. My children grew up around hunting and firearms, and I'm glad they did.
    My 15 year son is getting throwing knives and a machete this year. He got a combat knife for his birthday this year and last year he got a hunting guthook. We are off to the lease this coming weekend for his bucks of the season. I stopped buying toys two years ago and migrated to big boy toys.

My 15 year son is getting throwing knives and a machete this year. He got a combat knife for his birthday this year and last year he got a hunting guthook. We are off to the lease this coming weekend for his bucks of the season. I stopped buying toys two years ago and migrated to big boy toys.
    Good luck. My son bought a farm just across the road from me. We have hunted it some, but we took time a couple of weeks ago to really look it over. It has some of the best big buck sign that I've seen in Tennessee in years. Hoping for good results during the holiday vacation.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

http://www.archerybowsandarrowsonlin...ve-bow-s/4.htm follow the link. Frankly a lot of compound bows are cheaper than a recurve.

Good luck. My son bought a farm just across the road from me. We have hunted it some, but we took time a couple of weeks ago to really look it over. It has some of the best big buck sign that I've seen in Tennessee in years. Hoping for good results during the holiday vacation.
    I have two old culls targeted for my son this year. My 13 year old daughter brought a tear to my eye this year. She saw the pics of my bick buck and she tells me with his pretty blues "Daddy, I want to kill a deer", she begins her training first of the year. I won't harvest any deer next year until the end of he season so that my son and daughter can have the better bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    http://www.archerybowsandarrowsonlin...ve-bow-s/4.htm follow the link. Frankly a lot of compound bows are cheaper than a recurve.
    Yeah, I agree with you there. I had a friend that had a take down bow and it was flimsy, I did not trust it for anything. I may just go with a compound and avoid the headaches.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    i killed a monster along the tennessee and alabama border Eddie. its a 30 and a half inch spread double drop tine. it field dressed at 196.5 as soon as i get him back from the taxadermist or get the pics developed i'll post some.

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    i killed a monster along the tennessee and alabama border Eddie. its a 30 and a half inch spread double drop tine. it field dressed at 196.5 as soon as i get him back from the taxadermist or get the pics developed i'll post some.
    I'm pretty sure that was a steer if it was in Tenn. and had a 30 inch spread. I say bull shit.

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    This thread is about...Wait for it, wait for it...LOOKING FOR A BOW! Not about your hunt! If you don't have pics of bows and suggestions as to which or what I'm looking for don't post off topic. Do you habla?
    Last edited by AKTexas; 12-18-2012 at 06:29 PM.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    I have two old culls targeted for my son this year. My 13 year old daughter brought a tear to my eye this year. She saw the pics of my bick buck and she tells me with his pretty blues "Daddy, I want to kill a deer", she begins her training first of the year. I won't harvest any deer next year until the end of he season so that my son and daughter can have the better bucks.
    you don't talk about a hunt either then smarty

Yeah, I agree with you there. I had a friend that had a take down bow and it was flimsy, I did not trust it for anything. I may just go with a compound and avoid the headaches.
    takedown bows suck go with the compound

Pawn shops 2nd hand stores flea markets. There is always old bows around these places.

Looking for a recureve bow on a budget.

eBay!
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop on my back!