Thread: Tried to buy another mil-surp gen set

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Tried to buy another mil-surp gen set

I was high bidder at 13 minutes on another MEP-003A 10kW generator. It had only 7 running hour and was trailer mounted... The it went over $3K in the next five minutes...

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...ionId=5850720#
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 12-18-2012 at 05:28 AM.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I wanted to buy a set of two 600 gallon tanks and the pump section. They went for over 2K! I thought about bidding on a M1008 or M1031 they went cheap! $1500-2K Should've.

It went at $3030.00... guess I could have gone there, but had set a limit of $2500 with premium.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I was high bidder at 13 minutes on another MEP-003A 10kW generator. It had only 7 running hour and was trailer mounted... The it went over $3K in the next five minutes...

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...ionId=5850720#
    Did you notice the type of hitch the trailer had? Pretty heavy duty for that little trailer, but I guess the military would need standardization. That one looks like it's been in the sandbox, I wonder if that would be a concern?
    Returns June 3rd.

All military trailers are pindle hitch. Many people refer to them as "military hitch"...

Concern? It's an auction, you take your chances. Most things if you are a little careful can be rebuilt / fixed if not running...

Now I'm looking at a SEE:

OMG! That's awesome, who makes those?

As to the "concern", I was thinking dust and fine sand getting into everything. I'm not sure if it's an issue or not, it just popped in my head.
    Returns June 3rd.

Unimogs are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    OMG! That's awesome, who makes those?

As to the "concern", I was thinking dust and fine sand getting into everything. I'm not sure if it's an issue or not, it just popped in my head.
    It is a Unimog, by Dailmer-Benz, converted by Freightliner for the US Military. SEE = Small Emplacement Excavator. The Army bought about 2500 of them back around 1986 to 1990... The truck is Mercedez, the backhoe is by Case Equipment and the loader is by another US company.

Yea, fine sand is a problem, but the worst is new bearings and rings thoughout...

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I wanted to buy a set of two 600 gallon tanks and the pump section. They went for over 2K! I thought about bidding on a M1008 or M1031 they went cheap! $1500-2K Should've.
    Watch Craigs and any local classifieds mainly in the farm section. I see 100 to 500 gallon tanks all the time. Going rate is $1 to $1.50 per gallon the tank holds...

Quote Originally Posted by vit View Post
    Unimogs are awesome!
    Agreed, love to have one, or 5.

It is a Unimog, by Dailmer-Benz, converted by Freightliner for the US Military. SEE = Small Emplacement Excavator. The Army bought about 2500 of them back around 1986 to 1990... The truck is Mercedez, the backhoe is by Case Equipment and the loader is by another US company.

Yea, fine sand is a problem, but the worst is new bearings and rings thoughout...
    What do those usually bring at auction?
    Returns June 3rd.

Never saw one go... I've only followed the auction site for a couple of three years or so...

I'm guessing up to about $10K... don't know how high I'll go...

Never saw one go... I've only followed the auction site for a couple of three years or so...

I'm guessing up to about $10K... don't know how high I'll go...
    If all the hydraulics are in working order, as long as the drivetrain, you'd have something. 10K wouldn't be bad. Other than the backhoe and frontend loader, what does that truck consist of?
    Returns June 3rd.

Mercedes engine, diesel, engine driven air compressor and hydraulic pump. If the standard impliments are on board it will have an air driven chain saw, air drive concrete buster and air drive rock/concrete drill. You can see the hoses in the pictures on a reel.

Normally on a hydraulic system the main wear parts are hoses and cylinder seals. Cylinder kits run $25 to $40 per cylinder, maybe a little more for really big cylinders, and last up to ten years under normal use. Hoses are build to order or repaired by a hydraulic shop.

The expensive part is rebuilding or replacing the hydraulic pump. My little terramite (24hp) backhoe is all hydraulic, wheel drives and all, so it is engine connected to pump with no transmition. A new pump for it is $600. A buddy replaced the hydraulic pump on a big Cat 235 excavator (track hoe with big V-8 Cat diesel) and it was nearly $10K.

They pulled the auction on the three Unimogs at Fort Polk...