Thread: 1935 Turk

1935 Turk

I just got a 8MM Turkish rifle, it looks like my Gew 88. It is in great shape and was packed in grease. Are these good shooters? Do i have to worry about it like my Gew

Thanks T

IMG_1984.jpgIMG_1986.jpg

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Small ring type action like a Comission 1888 rifle. The Turks were masters of updating old weapons to have the newest features. Unfortunately getting rid of the barrel sleeve and putting on a new stock won't make the action any stronger. Use low power / pressure ammo. All commericaial US and Privi 8 mm that I've chornographed and or fired is very weak compared to German or other Surplus military ammo. Especially be very careful to NOT shoot any Turkish 8 mm mauser ammo. That stuff is super hot, high speed, high pressure.

do check the headspace.

The Turk rifles were notorious for having horrible headspace even if they were all matching.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I will have to do that looking at the bolt it does not look like it has been shot or if it was not much...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I have found Turk rifles with super tight headspace, even the Go was too big. Acutally I've found more like that than with excessive headspace.