Thread: Does anyone make a 10 gauge coach gun?

was_peacemaker

Does anyone make a 10 gauge coach gun?

I have been doing some searching but it seems like the 10 gauge varieties are hit and miss. Wondering if anyone knows of a 10 gauge coach gun?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Not sure about current production, modern firearms but they make black powder coach guns in 10ga. You might find an older double barrel goose gun that you could cut down to 18".
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

I too am not aware of anyone currently making a 10 gauge coach gun. If you look online you can still find older ones for sale.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I'll be the 3rd to say, probably not. A 12 ga. usually gets the job done.

I wouldn't want to shoot one much - used to own a 10ga BPS - no thanks.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I'll be the 3rd to say, probably not. A 12 ga. usually gets the job done.
    Plus the fact that if you wanted some specialty loadings (like 00 or 000 Buck, or slugs or round balls), you'd have to load your own.

12 Ga. has tons of different loadings for almost any job that needs doing.
    http://www.firequest.com/exotic-shotgun-ammo.html

was_peacemaker
    I have more 12 gauges then I need. Right now I am sitting on a Winchester Model 1200 and 1300 Defender, A 1927 Ithaca Double Barrel, a Winchester Model 64 Single shot 12 gauge, and a Maverick 88 Mossberg pistol grip pump. I gave the 1887 Parker to my Great Uncle....there is a chance I will get it back one day. To top that I off I still have my NEF 20 gauge single shot from when I was a kid.

So now that I have found out that there are no 10 gauge coach guns. I have a question. If I got a cheap NEF single barrel 10 gauge and cut it down to a 18.5 inch barrel and then cut and sanded the stock down to insure the overall length of it was at least 27 inches....(which both lengths are within Federal Limits of 18 inch minimum barrel and overall minimum length of 26 inches.). Would it be...

A. Legal to alter the size as long as its with in the standards of the law?

B. Also would a cheap NEF single shot weapon handle any heavy loads?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

If it stays within legal limits then it's legal. Can it handl heavy loads, can't say. Ask the manufacturer.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    If it stays within legal limits then it's legal. Can it handl heavy loads, can't say. Ask the manufacturer.
    You have to admit...it would be and epic one shot hand cannon!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    I have more 12 gauges then I need. Right now I am sitting on a Winchester Model 1200 and 1300 Defender, A 1927 Ithaca Double Barrel, a Winchester Model 64 Single shot 12 gauge, and a Maverick 88 Mossberg pistol grip pump. I gave the 1887 Parker to my Great Uncle....there is a chance I will get it back one day. To top that I off I still have my NEF 20 gauge single shot from when I was a kid.

So now that I have found out that there are no 10 gauge coach guns. I have a question. If I got a cheap NEF single barrel 10 gauge and cut it down to a 18.5 inch barrel and then cut and sanded the stock down to insure the overall length of it was at least 27 inches....(which both lengths are within Federal Limits of 18 inch minimum barrel and overall minimum length of 26 inches.). Would it be...

A. Legal to alter the size as long as its with in the standards of the law?

B. Also would a cheap NEF single shot weapon handle any heavy loads?
    Yes and Yes... I have exactly what you are describing. I have put hundreds of heavy loads through it. I'm not sure why so many shy away from the 10ga because of recoil, I really think it's over stated.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Yes and Yes... I have exactly what you are describing. I have put hundreds of heavy loads through it. I'm not sure why so many shy away from the 10ga because of recoil, I really think it's over stated.

Really? Is yours stock or did you cut yours down?