Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I order two kits from Model 1; Since these are my first ARs How'd I do?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I bought a stock wrench I found cheap at a gun show and have snap ring plyers (several sets). I have punches in all sizes to 1/2" and larger.

Guess I need to order the combo wrench and the roll pin punch.

Is the full set of roll pin punches worth buying if working on general gun smithing?

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Is the full set of roll pin punches worth buying if working on general gun smithing?
    Yes. They are invaluable tools for roll pins, as they don't mar the roll pins. Another tool set you'll greatly appreciate is roll pin starters, makes starting the pins super easy, and again you won't mar of the pins or the receiver.

And remember... oil the pins and the holes they go in before trying the drive them in. It make installation much easier.

I'm kind of a tool junky... it may be cheaper home stuff and not all Snapon and Matco, but I do have a selection...

I almost all ways buy the set when I need one item... I have comb wrenches to over 2" and service wrenches to 3", etc. (heavy equipment)...

Good to know, I'll order the set...

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i doubt youll need many of those tools, most companies that sell "parts kits" will be shipping out a complete, fully assembled, functional, and tested upper, with a stock and an lpk.

but thats no reason you shouldnt have them

25 views and no one telling me I did wrong? On a AR build? Impossible!!!
    I feel everyone who runs a bbl shorter than 20in is wrong, but that is just me.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I bought a stock wrench I found cheap at a gun show and have snap ring plyers (several sets). I have punches in all sizes to 1/2" and larger.

Guess I need to order the combo wrench and the roll pin punch.

You need a roll pin starter punch, vs. a pin punch. That gas tube roll pin is small, short and hard as hell to hold on to. It takes me and the wife to drive it in without the roll pin starter punch. I've ordered one as I'm fed up needing 3 hands to put that little sucker in on a standard front sight gas block. Now it's just wait and see how long Brownell's takes to send it and a few other bits and pieces to me.

roll pin punches do have their applications and are nice to have, but for the gas tube roll pin, i always just hold it with a pair of needle nose pliers while i tap it with a small ball pien. after its started, i use a large ( around 2x the diameter of the pin) to drive it down flush with the fsb. ive always just found that easier than using the small roll pin punch.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    roll pin punches do have their applications and are nice to have, but for the gas tube roll pin, i always just hold it with a pair of needle nose pliers while i tap it with a small ball pien. after its started, i use a large ( around 2x the diameter of the pin) to drive it down flush with the fsb. ive always just found that easier than using the small roll pin punch.
    I've done it that way, also lost the pin as it went flying off to the ozone layer at least once. Gerr! It isn't much of an investment to get the starter punch, then it should be a piece of cake and no more lost roll pins. The right tool for any job makes it easier to do. The only roll pin on an AR that I've ever lost was the gas tube pin. All the rest were easy enough to install I didn't feel as if I need the starter punch.

my problem is losing the front take down pin detents and springs. theres got to be an invisible forest of those things somewhere around my workbench.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

u did good to get the carry handle, in case of shtf, the electronic sights soon won't work, and it's a way to have a PROTECTED rear sight, as well as have a swift, "see thru" option of either scope or LUMINOUS iron sights . I'd add the RRA 2 stage NM trigger group if I were you, get a suppressor and for sure, get a Ciener .22lr unit. the 1 in 9 riflling does fine with 55 to 69 gr bullets, i know for a fact, and it's all you need. you can always use 55 gr tracer and ball or softpoint ammo of the same weight. tracers don't really "run" exactly with the non tracer ammo, anyway. they are to help you hit MOVING targets that can't dodge quickly or go prone, like moving vehicles, or get on target with long range, massed fire, many men at groups of men sort of targets, like they had in Korean war. So don't worry if the 75gr+ softpoints and match bt hps don't group in your gun, or if the tracer for 62 gr ball won't, either. you don't need them. you want the 60 gr Nosler Partitin softpoint for deer and men, by the way. i"d have got the 11.5 " barrel, for best concealment and all around performance (disassembled) If you don't go the SBR route (until shtf) you don't lose all that much performance vs a 16" barrel, and with a 12" barrel and 8" of can, it's still a shorter OAL than 20" barrel and 1" flashhider. :-) With a scope, match ammo, cheekpc and trigger job, such a gun can easily be 1.5" grouper for 5 shots, at 100 yds, far more accuracy than is needed in a fighting rifle or deer rifle, and in fact, it's plenty accurate enough for small varmints. So you miss some of them at 200 yds, so what? that happens with 1/2 MOA rifles too, due to wind, mirage, or target movment.

I'd get luminous "normal range" rear peep sight, and cut a v notch down into it, making "ears" for the sight out of jb weld epoxy and blackening the glue with a marks a lot pen. zero the "long range" peep at 150-200 yds with the Partition softpoints, and use a 3 corner file to zero the .22lr unit in the v notch at 50 yds. zero the scope at 250 -300 yds, with the 69 gr bthp match ammo. The suppressor lets you check the zero very quietly, using the .22 unit and subsonic 22 ammo. I recommend the 60 gr, 950 fps Aquila subsonic, put up in .22 Short cases, for serious use. the very minor "sonic crack" of normal '"high speed" .22lr ammo is nothing much in the way of noise, tho.

I dont know enough about the 6 position stock to comment on it. I do know that I'm 6 ft tall and the car buttstock is almost 2" too short for me, in summer clothing. The normal, A2 buttstock is a bit too short, also.
    Last edited by nikko; 01-01-2013 at 06:34 AM.

So did you get it yet? I ordered my 762x39 upper around the same time and still haven't seen mine. This whole short supply thing is BS.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    2nd Amedment Foundation Member
    NRA-ILA
    National Association for Gun Rights
    CRAL member---RIFOL member and supporter
    GOA member
    RI 2nd Amendment Coalition Supporter

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Like bluzjamer asked, anything to show yet ELC?

An email telling me they are still working on my order...

Translation: backordered to infinity!

Just an update, still waiting for my 762x39 pistol upper but I did get to order one of those spikes 545x39 uppers from AIM today.
    When the pistol upper comes I'll be just about done with it. Yeah like I've said that before.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    2nd Amedment Foundation Member
    NRA-ILA
    National Association for Gun Rights
    CRAL member---RIFOL member and supporter
    GOA member
    RI 2nd Amendment Coalition Supporter

still havent replied to my email into my order status from last week. ordered the upper in middle of jan.

Talked to them today... they are filling orders from December 18th...
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 03-21-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12