Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I order two kits from Model 1; Since these are my first ARs How'd I do?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I order two kits from Model 1; Since these are my first ARs How'd I do?

16" CAR light weights
    A3 flat top with removable carry handle
    YHM flip front site
    Ergo grips
    1:9 chrome moly, not lined
    A2 FH
    CAR fore
    4 position butt

The wife's is green and mine is black. I was planning on red dots later, is the something lessor than Eotech that holds up?

25 views and no one telling me I did wrong? On a AR build? Impossible!!!

Nobody believes these are your first ARs?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Sounds good but pictures my friend, pictures!!!

I've shot a lot of ARs, but NEVER owned one! I just ordered my first two kits!

Pictures? I have the kits on order... I'm an AR cherry!

I started as a CETME & HK91 guy, then went AK and own almost zero USA made firearms...

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

hows model one doing? i still havent ordered my varmin upper ive been planning, but i figured i screwed the dog on that with the current market. they still have stock to sell?

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    y u go with the CAR ( 4 position ) stock ?? i thought those were pretty much outdated now with the new m4 (6 position) stocks?

The six position was another $35 option on the light weight CAR and I already up the price with $75 flat top / detachable carry handle and the $75 flip sight.... ergo grip...

What I was looking for was light weight easy and handy rifles that could be slung and carried around the place...

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    yeah, what deth said, do they still haven inventory? should I have not put a built upper on layaway locally?

I built a kit from them. Its a good rifle and it works flawlessly .

All I know is when I placed the order it went through and showed no back order...

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    I built a kit from them. Its a good rifle and it works flawlessly .
    hey you still have that a2 buffer tube? I picked the dissipator up a bit earlier than I expected

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    hey you still have that a2 buffer tube? I picked the dissipator up a bit earlier than I expected
    Yeah you want to meet or i can just mail it to you it up to you PM me your addy if you want me to drop it in the post...

Well, since you asked for it. . .

16" CAR light weights
    That's too light, Your accuracy will suck - that's not spec for a Recce rifle

A3 flat top with removable carry handle
    You wasted your money, sell the carry handle - it's not a purse after all.

YHM flip front site
    Magpul is better, lighter, and available in multiple colors - you'll confuse your rifle with your wife's.

Ergo grips
    What's 'ergo' for one is not for another. If it fits your's it won't fit your wifes. Magpul is better, spikes is better, you wasted your money

1:9 chrome moly, not lined
    Worst twist you could get. It's middle of the road and will shoot either light bullets or heavy bullets in a shotgun pattern.

A2 FH
    WTF? That is not a quick attach for a silencer.

CAR fore
    That is not Recce spec. You cannot attach a light, laser, green, laser, pulse marker. Get a spikes, or a MOE.

4 position butt
    Your are not going to be happy. First you were all "ergo" now you'll have to make do with a four position. You should have gotten a Magpul ACS, it's what they use on the Recce rifle.

The wife's is green and mine is black.
    Your color should be selected based on caliber, not gender. How will you delineate between your 6.8 and that god awful 300BLK?

I was planning on red dots later
    You should not have wasted your money on the purse handle.

is the something lessor than Eotech that holds up?
    NcStar is the best!

OK, PLEASE know that was all tongu-in-cheek sarcasm.

Model 1 Sales are fine rifles. I have one of the varmite rifles and am very pleased with it - also in 1;9 twist. They are E.R. Shaw barrels IIRC. I'm assumeing you went with 556, yes? Any plans on a 300BLK? It's really catching on fast. It's like the 40 short and weak all over again.

Anyhow, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    OK, PLEASE know that was all tongu-in-cheek sarcasm.

Anyhow, congrats!
    I was going to say, I have a A2 with a 1 in 9 twist that shoots ragged holes with 55 gr bullets

Did I post this in the road house? I feel violated! LOL...

Yea, they are .223, I wanted something as kind of a GP carry rifle. Handy, light weight, easy in and out vehicles...

Did I post this in the road house? I feel violated! LOL...

Yea, they are .223, I wanted something as kind of a GP carry rifle. Handy, light weight, easy in and out vehicles...
    I thought I'd give ya that Arfcom feeling. LOL. While I was typing that I was thinking of this series

I recall reading an article about the benifets of a very lightweight AR. Your idea is right inline with that article. Have you considered going SBR?

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I can't wait to see them put together.
    You should know on Monday, Wednesday at the latest on if there will be a long wait.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Oh, I think the Krink kits will get me stamp collecting...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You did OK on your kit pick. I would of done it a little different but that's just me. For example I'd of gotten the chrome lined barrels. Light weight AR's aren't match guns so I don't care if I give up a touch of accuracy due to the chrome lined barrels. The carry handles, I'd of skipped for a flip up BUIS, especially if I was going to get a red dot, (which I would) and have. Fixed A2 uppers are obsolete IMO, A3 flat tops with M4 feed ramps are the ONLY way to go IMO.

I personally really like the YHM flip up front sight gas blocks with bayonet lugs. I prefer Mid Length gas systems because they provide for lower chamber pressure during case extraction. Plus the mid length takes the stock M7 or M9 bayonet. I loves me a bayonet!

Be advised you will need a few tools to build these properly. You are going to need a barrel nut wrench and as these are carbine tele stocks you're going to need a spanner wrench to tighten the castle nut that secures the buffer tube. I'm surprised they had kits in stock, everyone else I can think of shows kits out of stock. You may find yourself in for a hell of a wait. I'll link you the tools you need from Brownell's as one possible source. Once you see them you can look around and decide if you want to purchase from them.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...h-prod468.aspx Barrel nut and flash hider removal wrench. Use a 1/2" drive or breaker bar as a handle to apply torque.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod16882.aspx Spanner wrench for tele stock castle nut tightening. Out of stock at the moment, DPMS has a more expensive model with a longer handle. I'd wait for this $6 buck wrench, it will do the job just fine. Failing to get this type tool in a pinch a flat blade screw driver and a hammer can be used to tap the ring tight. There is a risk of maring the metal or denting it with this techinque, the wrench is the correct way to do it.

Roll pin starter punch for the Gas tube roll pin. You really need this tool. 080-685-078WB #2 - 5/64"(2.0mm) dia, 4-1/2"(11.4cm) O/A Length $14.99 Fully seating the roll pin can be done with any flat pin punch larger than the roll pin.

Got any snap wring pliers, you'll need those for the snap wring that holds the delta ring assembly together. If you're lucky your barrel will come as an assembly so this will already be done for you. Good luck with them when they get in. If you have any questions you can PM me for further details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast